Coventry Victor Vixen HDW

Kieron G

Featured Posts

I have recently aquired a coventry victor vixen marine engine for the 23ft steel boat which we are restoring, after freeing off the decompressor and cleaning out the fuel lines, lift pump and changing the filter it started well. I just need a gearbox to fit it. I gather from searching on the net that i could adapt a more modern or non original box to fit. Has anyone had experience in this area? or does anyone know of a seized HDW engine coupled to a decent original gearbox which i could purchase. it would nice to keep the whole thing original. I've tried contacting the coventry victor website but can't get any response, does anyone know of a good alternative supply for spare parts. i'm new to this site and have a lot of questions. Thanks.

I have recently aquired a coventry victor vixen marine engine for the 23ft steel boat which we are restoring, after freeing off the decompressor and cleaning out the fuel lines, lift pump and changing the filter it started well. I just need a gearbox to fit it. I gather from searching on the net that i could adapt a more modern or non original box to fit. Has anyone had experience in this area? or does anyone know of a seized HDW engine coupled to a decent original gearbox which i could purchase. it would nice to keep the whole thing original. I've tried contacting the coventry victor website but can't get any response, does anyone know of a good alternative supply for spare parts. i'm new to this site and have a lot of questions. Thanks.

"Casp" has some experience in this area and may be along shortly. You will need some form of output shaft from the engine to connect to a PRM remote type gearbox with a suitable coupling-try their website ;) I will be doing the same at some stage to a Lister industrial series engine which has been done successfully in the past--youtube have some interesting arrangements.

Good luck

Simon

"Casp" has some experience in this area and may be along shortly. You will need some form of output shaft from the engine to connect to a PRM remote type gearbox with a suitable coupling-try their website ;) I will be doing the same at some stage to a Lister industrial series engine which has been done successfully in the past--youtube have some interesting arrangements.

Good luck

Simon

Added welcome to the forum there is a lot of info here!

A very interesting company with a historic past, one of their engines powered the first monoplane to fly in Britain in 1910.

I have some experience of the air-cooled HDA

wcid2.gif

They were used in generators powering BBC OB comms vans working on remote hilltops & water towers, providing terrestrial microwave links to get outside broadcast output back to the network.

Given the chilly locations a dedicated ether injection system was provided. A canister was pierced & the contents pumped in. Even when caked in ice they always started, but the knock for several seconds afterwards was enough to shake your teeth out.

We had gennie's that used a larger vertical twin as well which may have been from same manufacturer.

I thought they went bust in the 1970's.

As i had a 14 hp flat water-cooled petrol at this time and needed spares,and at that time the receivers were in.But were carrying on selling spares for a while in Coventry under the name Weaver patents. This is all i know.

I used to look after strings of these powering nodding donkey pumping jacks for BP. Heavily loaded ones would snap cranks like carrots. I replaced loads of them with secondhand Lister JP3s which never gave any trouble. I confess to having being pleased when Coventry Victor packed up and being given the OK to fit the Listers. The Coventry Victors were good wrist sprainers when trying to start them too!

A very interesting company with a historic past, one of their engines powered the first monoplane to fly in Britain in 1910.

I have some experience of the air-cooled HDA

wcid2.gif

They were used in generators powering BBC OB comms vans working on remote hilltops & water towers, providing terrestrial microwave links to get outside broadcast output back to the network.

Given the chilly locations a dedicated ether injection system was provided. A canister was pierced & the contents pumped in. Even when caked in ice they always started, but the knock for several seconds afterwards was enough to shake your teeth out.

We had gennie's that used a larger vertical twin as well which may have been from same manufacturer.

The picture makes the CV look very similar to the Enfield 16HP- are they the same design with interchangeable parts? I've got a couple of Enfields, one an RN marine version with gearbox, the other on a DC welding set which is excellent once you get it started!

Bill

Nice one, thanks for all that info, and thanks for the welcome. Fortunately this engine is fitted with a starter. bearing in mind that the boat is only 23ft if i am going to retro fit a gearbox does 2-1 sound like a suitable ratio? it has a 13*9 propellor with it on a 1 inch shaft, i have space for up to 16 inch diameter if these are available for 1 inch shafts (i've seen 16 inch for 1 1/2 inch shaft dia at a local boat jumble) i think the engine is approx 27hp, any advise is greatly appreciated.

• 7 years later...

Hi, i recently bought a boat with a coventry water cooled in it. It hasnt been started in years and i am wondering if anyone knows what the starting an stopping procedure is for this engine. Alsow im wondering what kind of oil it needs, and if it runs on ordinary diesel. Thnx!