Re: 'Cost of Painting the Hull or 'Blacking' on boats!??

Smudge38

Featured Posts

Hiya All,.

I am just adding another Post hope that members will be helpful as last posts. I have looked at a Canal boating Magazine lately & they have a section on painting the Hulls of boats.

Going through the best way cut the costs of 'Blacking' over the years using different Paints from various cheap Bitumen to 2 Coat Proxy paints. Also mentioned before painting 2 reduce the time span spent Blacking' suggesting Grit blasting before to keep best condition of Hulls.

I just wanted know from any People who live on their boats Full-time (As a Perm home). Do they use these processes? Also how much does it cost the 'Black' hulls every few years? Do you use expensive paint of go for cheap opition Bitumen paint?

Cheers

Smudge mate, I wonder if you could humour me please and satisfy my insatiable curiosisty.

Why are you asking the board all these complex questions? Are you planning to buy boat to live on, or is there some other reason?

Many thanks.

Mike

• Greenie 1

Did mine last April, still looks great after a full summer out on the cut, and yes we live aboard. Did the job myself so heres a breakdown of the prices ,

Lift out = £90 ( on a trailer in my winter marina )

power washer hire = £25

3 days hardstanding = £30

125 ltrs of international

bitu blacking = £150

3 days hard graft = free

lift in = £90

Total = £385

My advise would be to do it yourself works out only a bit cheaper but you know its done right .

Did mine last April, still looks great after a full summer out on the cut, and yes we live aboard. Did the job myself so heres a breakdown of the prices ,

power washer hire = £25

bitu blacking = £150

3 days hard graft = free

lift in = £90

Total = £385

My advise would be to do it yourself works out only a bit cheaper but you know its done right .

That's a lot of cheap paint! :o

I'm guessing you meant 25 litres?

Tim

power washer hire = £25

bitu blacking = £150

3 days hard graft = free

lift in = £90

Total = £385

3 days doesn't sound very long for pressure wash, wire brushing of any rusted areas, putting on 2 or 3 coats of blacking, each with the manufacturers recommended waiting time between coats and between the final coat and immersion. And thats without allowing for any lost time due to rain when working in the open air.

I would reckon you can't do the job properly in less than a week.

David

DIY blacking for 40' boat last July.

(2 people most of the time, 1 person working (very) full time, sleeping on the boat. Needed very thorough scraping.

Managed to get 3 full coats of blacking + extra coat along waterline + a number of other jobs done while blacking drying).

Week hire of marina's DIY shed (inc. trailer out back in) = £330 inc vat

10 ltrs of International Intertuf 16 = c. £54.00 (bought it at one of the 20% off Midland Chandler Fridays)

Pressure wash by marina (no choice!) = £50.00

Tools (e.g. scrapers, spare blades) c. £35.00

Protective clothing (overalls, gloves, etc.) c. £20

+ some extra bits and pieces

Total c. £500

That's a lot of cheap paint! :o

I'm guessing you meant 25 litres?

Tim

Sorry my mistake . It was the 25 ltrs ..lol

3 days doesn't sound very long for pressure wash, wire brushing of any rusted areas, putting on 2 or 3 coats of blacking, each with the manufacturers recommended waiting time between coats and between the final coat and immersion. And thats without allowing for any lost time due to rain when working in the open air.

I would reckon you can't do the job properly in less than a week.

David

Yes I was booked out for 5 days but due to fine weather I was able to progress very quickly with the job , full sanding and 3 coats ,job done . :cheers:

I'll second that!

We had our boat grit blasted and two-packed a year last August and the lads who applied the epoxy tar worked very hard indeed. The only problem was that our boat is one of those josher washer tubs and the chaps missed some areas around the rivets (washers) and the rubbing strakes. I had to go over where they'd missed.

One part of the boat that I did do myself was the bow thruster tube. After removing the bow thruster, I made an extended brush and applied two good coats of the tar to the inside of the tube. An integral part of the hull that's sometimes ignored during the blacking process!

When it's due to be re-blacked in 7 years time, I'll do the blacking myself.

The whole job including grit blasting, slipping out etc., cost £1,400. That may sound over the top, but if you consider the cost of conventional bitumin based blacking done every two years, I believe that it's cost effective.

Also, we've done some serious cruising this year including the Audlem flight and the two-pack has proven to be really durable throughout. Just as well the way I steer. :rolleyes:

Mike

P.S. If I hadn't kept Slammer talking for so long, he'd probably finished his boat in two days instead of three! :banghead:

Edited by Doorman

I seriously couldn't be bothered with taking the time off work to do a messy task just to save a couple of hundred quid. I'd rather spend the time learning a new skill so I can earn more money.

Had 57ft boat done recently for 500 quid (although I also had anodes done at the same time so that may have helped with the discount).

Dave

I'll second that!

We had our boat grit blasted and two-packed a year last August and the lads who applied the epoxy tar worked very hard indeed. The only problem was that our boat is one of those josher washer tubs and the chaps missed some areas around the rivets (washers) and the rubbing strakes. I had to go over where they'd missed.

One part of the boat that I did do myself was the bow thruster tube. After removing the bow thruster, I made an extended brush and applied two good coats of the tar to the inside of the tube. An integral part of the hull that's sometimes ignored during the blacking process!

When it's due to be re-blacked in 7 years time, I'll do the blacking myself.

The whole job including grit blasting, slipping out etc., cost £1,400. That may sound over the top, but if you consider the cost of conventional bitumin based blacking done every two years, I believe that it's cost effective.

Also, we've done some serious cruising this year including the Audlem flight and the two-pack has proven to be really durable throughout. Just as well the way I steer. :rolleyes:

Mike

P.S. If I hadn't kept Slammer talking for so long, he'd probably finished his boat in two days instead of three! :banghead:

And I may of got a fourth coat on ...pmsl , :cheers: