Wyrley down over 12 " today wrecks all visible

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

A report tonight from Pelsall shows the Wyrley and Essington 12" down. This will continue to fall over the weekend due to stop planks preventing filling. The section near to Keays old dock site will be worth visiting if you want to see the old boat hulls. In this section are two Severners, a knobstick motor, two Anderton Co horse boats, en wooden FMC steamer and some joeys. The tug "Pat" may also be visble just west of Lane head bridge.

forgive my ignorence, are these all wooden boats?

Yes all are wooden, the last time levels dropped to make them visible I think was 1982 so dont miss out.

ROSEACCCHBBUTTY.jpg

that was the Anderton Company "Rose" in 1982, it is still there and still solid! Athough today nothing remains of the cabin and the top strake is well gone.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

a great shame, are there still other examples of these around? i guess iron or steel boats would have scrapped rather than sunk

Few wooden boats survive in original condition today, many were dumped or broken up, metal craft faired better and many more survive. You will find a lot out by reading this thread about Harefield where a gravel pit was used to dump unwanted boats: http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28897&view=findpost&p=501491&hl=%2Bharefield+%2Brediscovered&fromsearch=1

Edited by Laurence Hogg

popped too lane head today and smell and sight of the dead fish not pleasant,no sign yet of any old boats, though water level not lower enough.I remember as a lad there were about 3 wooden boats on the bottom in holybank basin but high enough above the waterline for us to play on.they were near the entance towpath side.can anyone remember exactly where tug pat lay to rest as i will have an another look tomorrow

popped too lane head today and smell and sight of the dead fish not pleasant,no sign yet of any old boats, though water level not lower enough.I remember as a lad there were about 3 wooden boats on the bottom in holybank basin but high enough above the waterline for us to play on.they were near the entance towpath side.can anyone remember exactly where tug pat lay to rest as i will have an another look tomorrow

Hi,

There are no boats now in Holly Bank. "Pat" is just 200 yards or so west of Lane Head bridge, at the end of the offside wharf where the sheet piling starts back of a factory.

The other boats are either side of Pratts Bridge in Walsall and just after the railway aqueduct. Engine casing of "Duteus" will be obvious.

This photo shows the BW tug "Atlantic", a unidentified iron joey, Barry Lycett's "Hampstead" with "Lynx" or "Lyra" behind, derilict wooden joey "John" & tug "Pat" at the extreme left against the piling. Took in 1969.

gallery_5000_522_231630.jpg

Edited by Laurence Hogg

Hi,

There are no boats now in Holly Bank. "Pat" is just 200 yards or so west of Lane Head bridge, at the end of the offside wharf where the sheet piling starts back of a factory.

The other boats are either side of Pratts Bridge in Walsall and just after the railway aqueduct. Engine casing of "Duteus" will be obvious.

This photo shows the BW tug "Atlantic", a unidentified iron joey, Barry Lycett's "Hampstead" with "Lynx" or "Lyra" behind, derilict wooden joey "John" & tug "Pat" at the extreme left against the piling. Took in 1969.

gallery_5000_522_231630.jpg

Would love to see what it looks like today ..... D

Hi,

Thats a great pic and thanks for the location of pat.the old foundry in the background was converted to smaller factory units,and thinking back i suppose the boats in holybank were removed when the towpath was restored and the basin tidied up when the new council houses were built behind the swan pub.

• 5 years later...
On 10/15/2011 at 10:25, Laurence Hogg said:

Few wooden boats survive in original condition today, many were dumped or broken up, metal craft faired better and many more survive. You will find a lot out by reading this thread about Harefield where a gravel pit was used to dump unwanted boats: http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28897&view=findpost&p=501491&hl=%2Bharefield+%2Brediscovered&fromsearch=1

Sorry many Metal boats in the 1960s to early 1980s, where brokern up by S Evens Of Ditton Road Widnes at The Old Faircliffs Flourmill site at West Bank Widnes in fact if you go right to the end of Spike Island you can patial dismantled ones lieing the mersey mud, there is also one by the site of West Bank Dock widnes as well, latatuide and logatiude on google maps for boat 1, 53.3507052, -2.7313084, and boat 2 53.3495911, -2.741581, anyone know what they where

meant to repliy not hijack your post sorry

On 10/14/2011 at 17:44, Laurence Hogg said:

A report tonight from Pelsall shows the Wyrley and Essington 12" down. This will continue to fall over the weekend due to stop planks preventing filling. The section near to Keays old dock site will be worth visiting if you want to see the old boat hulls. In this section are two Severners, a knobstick motor, two Anderton Co horse boats, en wooden FMC steamer and some joeys. The tug "Pat" may also be visble just west of Lane head bridge.

W&E on weir this morning at Brownhills when I left for Walsall Town Basin with 25 other boats, mainly historic working boats.

Walsall tonight. A lovely sight. Sorry no pic.

I filled a third of a wheely bin at Birchills with yucky trophies off my stern gear from Bloxwich to there. I do wish the natives and others would stop dumping everything in the cut. It included my second anglers keep net in 5 days.

James

• Greenie 1