Canals??

Micky

Featured Posts

When i first became interested in the canals of England and narrow boats around 1967 (it coincided with The Flower of Gloster television program in 1967) canals were of interest to only a very few but since discovering this site i realize that every so and so under the sun seems to have discovered the waterways & canals of England and all of them seem to be 'expert' on the subject nowadays just read these message boards on this site?? :angry:

I had a 2 weeks boating holiday in a 70ft converted narrow boat back in 1985 and even then i noticed that the canals had attracted a "different kind of person" with some boater's on passing them in there boats were "playing loud music and even dancing on top of there boats" so what they must be like 26 years on i can only wonder?? :o

Edited by Micky

so what they must be like 26 years on i can only wonder?? :o

Why don't you try 'em now and see for your self - yes there is the odd rowdy crew about but in the main it's still brilliant.

Can't you see it's a wind-up?

It's not "a wind up" (i'd guess someone had to suggest that one :rolleyes: ) it's just an observation from someone with a bit of an interest in canals & waterways although not as much interest as i use to have unfortunately ;)

Back around 1984 i was seriously thinking about buying a narrow boat with a view to living on it until i saw the 'peformance' of trying to obtain a license to live on it then about 5 or 6 years ago i saw that British Waterways allow "squatters" to live on boats a long certain lengths of the canals whats going on?? :blink:

Na sorry folks the canals of merry England have become to popular i'll leave them to you guy's ;)

Edited by Micky

Na sorry folks the canals of merry England have become to popular i'll leave yhem to you guy's ;)

Then you need to get yourself on the Northern part of the system - don't tell anybody but it's a lot quieter up here...

It's not "a wind up" (i'd guess someone had to suggest that one :rolleyes: ) it's just an observation from someone with a bit of an interest in canals & waterways although not as much interest as i use to have unfortunately ;)

Back around 1984 i was seriously thinking about buying a narrow boat with a view to living on it until i saw the 'peformance' of trying to obtain a license to live on it then about 5 or 6 years ago i saw that British Waterways allow "squatters" to live on boats a long certain lengths of the canals whats going on?? :blink:

Na sorry folks the canals of merry England have become to popular i'll leave them to you guy's ;)

I was on a hire boat last week and found the complete opposite to what you are saying.

And the vast majority of people where friendly and smiling with very few hold ups regards to other boats although we did have one small hold up at the very first lock, which led to a very plesant conversation with a crew from a private boat btw.

Oh and our cruise took us into Birmingham so hardly the less used section of the system.

In fact the only person we came across who was grumpy was one man who was fishing, he was well hidden in some reeds and got a weed on because we only saw hime at the very last second

Then you need to get yourself on the Northern part of the system - don't tell anybody but it's a lot quieter up here...

slightly off topic here sorry ,when you say the "northern part" where would you say this starts ? please.

Edited by JerryP

It's not "a wind up" (i'd guess someone had to suggest that one :rolleyes: )

I suspect that a wind up was suggested on the grounds that we do seem to have had a rash of new posters over recent days whose first posts plunge right to the heart of issues that habitually divide the existing members.

Whilst endeavouring to assume that each new member is a genuine newbie posting in good faith, it is actually rather difficult to assume that ALL of them are.

You may well be the genuine new member and it is unfair to pose the question against you in particular, but it is clear that somebody is (yet again) creating new accounts to make mischief.

I've found 95% of people on the cut now very pleasant. Yes there are sections that are far too crowded, but on the other hand, if it wasn't for more people taking an interest, Im sure there are quite a few canals that would be closed now

The Canal de Midi France would suit you.

slightly off topic here sorry ,when you say the "northern part" where would you say this starts ? please.

Actually that is a good question and whilst I might have an opinion on it I'm actually not sure there is a definitive start point.

BW seem to define it as follows -

http://www.waterscape.com/media/documents/24557.pdf

Apart from the Lancaster which I've not yet been on but it gets busy I understand, you will often cruise for hours up here and never see another boat - even in summer.

But as I say keep it to yourself, we don't want everybody piling up here cluttering them up.

Edited by MJG

Thats good I can continue to enjoy the canals without having to bump into you.......

Good luck to you and i won't have to come a cross you either ;)

The Canal de Midi France would suit you.

Thank you for the kind thought ;)

Edited by Micky

I suspect that a wind up was suggested on the grounds that we do seem to have had a rash of new posters over recent days whose first posts plunge right to the heart of issues that habitually divide the existing members.

Whilst endeavouring to assume that each new member is a genuine newbie posting in good faith, it is actually rather difficult to assume that ALL of them are.

You may well be the genuine new member and it is unfair to pose the question against you in particular, but it is clear that somebody is (yet again) creating new accounts to make mischief.

Yes a new member but interested in canals on & off since 1967.

It's just an observation folks and i'm not trying to create mischief but somehow it's lost it's magic, the days of being a member of the I.W.A. and buying WATERWAYS WORLD once a month and the "deep digs" on the old Basingstoke canal on Saturdays seem a very long time ago indeed :mellow:

Yes a new member but interested in canals on & off since 1967.

It's just an observation folks and i'm not trying to create mischief but somehow it's lost it's magic, the days of being a member of the I.W.A. and buying WATERWAYS WORLD once a month and the "deep digs" on the old Basingstoke canal on Saturdays seem a very long time ago indeed :mellow:

But your OP states 'what it must me like' - implying you have not actually recently experienced the water ways so what is the observation based on? - if it's on some of the rants that occasionally crop up in here they are not typical of what it's like at all.

As I say why not try it..

I had a 2 weeks boating holiday in a 70ft converted narrow boat back in 1985 and even then i noticed that the canals had attracted a "different kind of person" with some boater's on passing them in there boats were "playing loud music and even dancing on top of there boats" so what they must be like 26 years on i can only wonder?? :o

26 years older - mid forties, getting a bit grey or bald, hobbling about and moaning about the present generation of boaters being far worse than in the good old days back in the 80s? :rolleyes:

Edited by Tam & Di

When i first became interested in the canals of England and narrow boats around 1967 (it coincided with The Flower of Gloster television program in 1967) canals were of interest to only a very few but since discovering this site i realize that every so and so under the sun seems to have discovered the waterways & canals of England and all of them seem to be 'expert' on the subject nowadays just read these message boards on this site?? :angry:

Micky you have attracted suspicion due to the odd way you have written your post.

In particular, you have you used quotation marks twice in your second pargraph. Why? Who are you quoting? I get the impression you chose to quote womeone else because you don't actually have the experience of canals you claim, and you are winding us up.

If I am wrong, could you explain your use of quotation marks please? Thanks.

Mike