Has anyone stayed at Welton Hythe/Haven?

Humphrey

Featured Posts

Our boat is a Reeves hull with a Weltonfield fit out.

When we bought her she was in need of a repaint. We went to Welton and asked if they would repaint her.

Despite the Weltonfield brochure stating "Boat painting" http://www.weltonfie....uk/service.htm when we asked Sarah Jane, one of the owners for a quote she stated "We only repaint boats of people who moor with us"

She then asked where we moor and on our reply I got a roll of the eyes from her. She then tried to persuade us to moor with them.

One thing I did notice was the constant roar from traffic on the M1 not far away, but that is common to many marinas.

Needless to say never been back.

Edited by Ray T

When we bought her she was in need of a repaint. We went to Welton and asked if they would repaint her.

Despite the Welton Field brochure stating "Boat painting" http://www.weltonfield.co.uk/service.htm when we asked Sarah Jane, one of the owners for a quote she stated "We only repaint boats of people who moor with us"

She then asked where we moor and on our reply I got a roll of the eyes from her. She then tried to persuade us to moor with them.

One thing I did notice was the constant roar from traffic on the M1 not far away, but that is common to many marinas.

err, kids, don't let them run about or speak....., noise, don't make it after 8.........., drive your car, keep it under 2mph,...... Don't, DON'T leave the entrance gate open EVER,... as a great big hairy bloke will run across the field and start swearing at you and threatening you..., make sure you have lots of money(insist on 60/40, if you push it in winter 80/20),and be prepared to have to trip your electric post back on every night in winter.

er, other than that, the motorway noise is faint unless there is an east wind, lovely views, (see my early flickr photo's, and it's handy for both the Leicester line and any southGU or braunston trip.

Despite the Weltonfield brochure stating "Boat painting" http://www.weltonfie....uk/service.htm when we asked Sarah Jane, one of the owners for a quote she stated "We only repaint boats of people who moor with us"

We moored there when we first got the boat. When the older couple ran it things seems OK but a "hand over" to younger family members and a change of caretaker at the Haven changed things. All the work we had done by them (apart from one blacking) had defects some of which are still visible. I have had to pay for rectification to a gas tank job that turned out to be potentially lethal. I can not show anyone the repaint that micro-blistered but I can show them the thin areas on their rectification job. When I took the cratch cover to trimmers in Windsor for repair their comments were interesting and after their rectification the bottom edges blow into the boat far less frequently. There is still a stiffening bar missing form the gas-tank where they cut it away, the down-sheets for the cruiser stern are still out of alignment because they refused to do the job as I asked and even then did not fit the stern rail true to the boat.

The final straw came when we were moved onto a pontoon that only allowed exit at one end on the pretext they needed ours for a longer boat but there was no financial consideration.

If your face fits I am sure you will be very happy there, be it a bit windy. I feel run by amateurs for an easy life.

Been very happy at Calcutt for years now and the difference in attitude is amazing.

• 2 months later...

All i can say i only stop there if you have the need to be robbed. The people in the office are so up themselve's and are the least helpful i've ever found. The 2 owners have no interests in the customers there only interested in get rich quick. There is no facilities at either marina toilet block no showers or laundrette and electricity that is off more than its on. And dont buy fenders from them they are made by 2 liveaboards at haven to a very very poor standard.

• 3 months later...

err, kids, don't let them run about or speak....., noise, don't make it after 8.........., drive your car, keep it under 2mph,...... Don't, DON'T leave the entrance gate open EVER,... as a great big hairy bloke will run across the field and start swearing at you and threatening you..., make sure you have lots of money(insist on 60/40, if you push it in winter 80/20),and be prepared to have to trip your electric post back on every night in winter.

er, other than that, the motorway noise is faint unless there is an east wind, lovely views, (see my early flickr photo's, and it's handy for both the Leicester line and any southGU or braunston trip.

You will be glad to hear that the great big hairy bloke has left the marina and been replaced by Steve and Allison - we have just had a temp mooring and would definitely go back - very helpful in the office as well.

You will be glad to hear that the great big hairy bloke has left the marina and been replaced by Steve and Allison - we have just had a temp mooring and would definitely go back - very helpful in the office as well.

Have "the powers that be" read this thread then?

I've just read this lot. To try and balance the review I have to say that I have been at Welton for a season now and am very happy with the place. I have found the staff helpful and, so far, everything which has been done in the line of repairs has been OK. Yes, if you go outside and listen hard you can hear the motorway - but this is not the only marina that this happens and you can hardly blame the operators. Maybe I am very easy going and easily satisfied. So be it. But there are probably many others out ther who are like me and do not want such harsh standards. And, No, I am not Sarah-Jane in disguise. She has probably read this and does not rate it worth a reply - especially as the marina is full of satisfied customers, many of who have been there for centuries

I've just read this lot. To try and balance the review I have to say that I have been at Welton for a season now and am very happy with the place. I have found the staff helpful and, so far, everything which has been done in the line of repairs has been OK. Yes, if you go outside and listen hard you can hear the motorway - but this is not the only marina that this happens and you can hardly blame the operators. Maybe I am very easy going and easily satisfied. So be it. But there are probably many others out ther who are like me and do not want such harsh standards. And, No, I am not Sarah-Jane in disguise. She has probably read this and does not rate it worth a reply - especially as the marina is full of satisfied customers, many of who have been there for centuries

I agree about the Haven as a marina as long as the staff have now changed. I never found the motorway noise a problem (or the A5 or railway) but then I live closer to the M4.

As you say, they do seem to have a loyal following from some moorers but I know another very long standing moorer who left somewhat dissatisfied.

Perhaps if she did rate it worth some investigation she may learn how to make better cratch covers OR allow independents on site who can do the job. She might also have to admit that the marina has done some shoddy metal work as well. Trouble is that once you have welded something it becomes expensive to put right and I still have no idea how they can feel a hole through the bottom of a gastank is anything other than dangerous. I am fairly certain that they employed a contractor for my welding work but there is no way they either inspected it or if they did could read drawings and read explicit instructions. There is no way a large dollop of Calortite on a faulty gas pipe union is acceptable. Again a potentially fatal piece of bad practise.

Trouble is that there are a lot of people about who are not particularly well up with good and bad engineering practises and work standards. As has been said "you can fool all the people some the time or some of the people all the time". I think the may fit into the latter phrase.

• Greenie 1

I agree. Have been at Welton Hythe for 3 years now. Excellent rural location with Crick,Braunston,Napton and Stoke Bruerne all just a few hours away. Ive never been disturbed by motorway or railway noise. Doesn't have showers or launderette but I dont particularly need them - whats a bit of BO between boating friends?! Excellent pub at Welton just a short walk across fields. I've had some work done too - installation of solid fuel stove and replacement of macerator toilet, as well as engine servicing. I have no complaints whatsoever. I know I'm no expert but the engine has never let me down, nor has the bog, the boat hasnt caught fire and the carbon monoxide alarm hasnt gone off either. Ive always found the staff to be welcoming and helpful. I've also declared the diesel to be for 100% domestic use on occasion without problems. Pricing seems to be very similar to local competition. So I would say go and have a look - you might like whats there!