BMC 1.8 Cam Belt

Flocal

Featured Posts

Urghhhh a chain..

I havent got a clue the working hours of my engine..

another worry to ponder

Not really. A cam chain needs no maintenance, unlike a cam belt.

Except that it doesnt have a chain either IIRC. I think the cam is gear-driven on a BMC 1.8. No doubt someone will correct me on this in a sec!

Except that it doesnt have a chain either IIRC. I think the cam is gear-driven on a BMC 1.8. No doubt someone will correct me on this in a sec!

Happy to oblige! - It is chain driven!

To the OP.......

This is not something to have sleepless nights about!

Just be happy with the knowledge you don't have a timing belt to worry about!

Cheers Alan, i will sleep sound tonight ( more so as know i have some more ballast for the boat :captain: )

Definitely a chain, see downloadable workshop manual here (page 21):- http://www.calcuttboats.com/pdfs/Workshop%20Manual%201.8.pdf

Edited by David Schweizer

I think I read somewhere that there isn't a single recorded instance of a bmc diesel timing chain breaking.

yes,they will clatter for a very long time when worn,a very worn chain can upset idling.

it is usual for people to renew the chain when they get fed up with the noise!

my BMC 2.5 developed a tick at tickover a 3 years ago,curiosity got the better of me,so i took the timing cover off.

one of the timing chain silencer set screws had decided to loosen after 30 years of use,the locking tab had not been set properly from new.

set it up with new locktab,started up engine,all sweet again.

Not really. A cam chain needs no maintenance, unlike a cam belt.

It's the 1.5 that's gear driven

Arthur

It's the 1.5 that's gear driven

Arthur

On a BMC 1.5 the CAMSHAFT is chain driven. The camshaft then drives the injector pump by a pair of skew gears.

It is the extra lubrication that these skew gears require to drive the diesel pump that necessitates the oil jet and strainer located at the rear of the left hand side of the the engine below the manifold. If anyone has a 1.5 and is unsure about the past maintenance of the strainer and jet it would be a good idea to remove them for inspection and cleaning. I suspect wear in these gears goes some way to explain the BMCs reputation for smoking a bit.

• 7 years later...
On 17/10/2011 at 09:00, Tony Brooks said:

On a BMC 1.5 the CAMSHAFT is chain driven. The camshaft then drives the injector pump by a pair of skew gears.

It is the extra lubrication that these skew gears require to drive the diesel pump that necessitates the oil jet and strainer located at the rear of the left hand side of the the engine below the manifold. If anyone has a 1.5 and is unsure about the past maintenance of the strainer and jet it would be a good idea to remove them for inspection and cleaning. I suspect wear in these gears goes some way to explain the BMCs reputation for smoking a bit.

BMC 1.8 diesel is a cam  chain they changed to a belt when they went in to the new age engine 

I had a chain fail because it was so slack that it wrapped around the crankshaft sprocket. The tensioner and slipper have to be totally worn away for this to happen. The racket before they fail leaves you in no doubt that attention is required. Never seen a 1.5D chain drive fail

The 1.8D chain is much longer than the 1.5D as it also drives the injection pump, the skew gears on the 1.5D pump drive get neglected, they should have the plugs and filters removed and cleaned regularly.

Edited by Boater Sam
added more

The Montego engine? Prima diesel. Was an OK motor, some ally head problems and yes it is a rubber band engine. They didn't use it for long. Is the Rover diesel the same motor or is it a diesel "O" series? Later Rover version was the "L" series engine

Edited by Boater Sam

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I think he is talking about the OHC diesel that Perkins flirted with, or designed, that the called the Prima

42 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

The Montego engine? Prima diesel. Was an OK motor, some ally head problems and yes it is a rubber band engine. They didn't use it for long. Is the Rover diesel the same motor or is it a diesel "O" series? Later Rover version was the "L" series engine

That Engine (Montego)also appeared as the Volvo/Perkins 2002 ,not that popular have seen a couple and they did have a Cambelt.

4 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

The Rover I had, and still miss, was the 620 SDi. It had the Honda engine, don’t know what it was called though, but it was lovely.