For Sale and Wanted forum

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

On Friday afternoon I started two threads on the "For Sale and Wanted" and despite writing to one of the moderators, who I know was on line at the time, the threads have not been approved, nor have I received any explanation as to why they have not appeared. What is the point of this section if it either doesn't work properly, or the moderators cannot be bothered to manage it?

Given the ridiculous delay, I now know why some people advertise items in "General Boating" and wait for the moderators to move it (or not as the case may be!!) rather than hope that their advert will appear some day.

On Friday afternoon I started two threads on the "For Sale and Wanted" and despite writing to one of the moderators, who I know was on line at the time, the threads have not been approved, nor have I received any explanation as to why they have not appeared. What is the point of this section if it either doesn't work properly, or the moderators cannot be bothered to manage it?

Given the ridiculous delay, I now know why some people advertise items in "General Boating" and wait for the moderators to move it (or not as the case may be!!) rather than hope that their advert will appear some day.

Normally takes only a day or two at the most - but I don't think there has been much moderator activity over the weekend. Occasionally it takes longer - it is a free service remember.

I suggest you press the report button on your post and 'report' it above which will bring it to the attention of them all.

Now now David, deep breath, say to yourself :

"it really doesn't matter, the ads will appear sooner or later"

You could try swearing a lot and seeing how long it takes to remove the post for a bit of diverting fun and comparison

ps: what are you selling?

Edited by Chris Pink

Normally takes only a day or two at the most - but I don't think there has been much moderator activity over the weekend. Occasionally it takes longer - it is a free service remember.

I suggest you press the report button on your post and 'report' it above which will bring it to the attention of them all.

Except that an advert posted by Onionbargee was placed on the forum this morning, and why are my emails and PM's being ignored.

Except that an advert posted by Onionbargee was placed on the forum this morning, and why are my emails and PM's being ignored.

Not sure David - but is the date and time they appear the date and time they get mod approval rather than when the original is posted.

Anyway don't get too uptight about it I'm sure there will be a plausible explanation.

Not sure David - but is the date and time they appear the date and time they get mod approval rather than when the original is posted.

Anyway don't get too uptight about it I'm sure there will be a plausible explanation.

I am not sure that I understand the logic of that point. Even if the advert placed by Onionbargee was written before my two, why have they only dealt with his? Is there now a three day waiting period? There have been at least nine separate occasions when Moderators have logged on since I wrote my adverts, and one of them had the time to write two inconsequential posts. It is all beginning to look a bit amateurish, but then as someone has suggested, apart from one of them, moderator presence has been sparce for the last four days. Perhaps it is time that some new people were recruited. I can suggest some suitable candidtates..

I am not sure that I understand the logic of that point. Even if the advert placed by Onionbargee was written before my two, why have they only dealt with his? Is there now a three day waiting period? There have been at least nine separate occasions when Moderators have logged on since I wrote my adverts, and one of them had the time to write two inconsequential posts. It is all beginning to look a bit amateurish, but then as someone has suggested, apart from one of them, moderator presence has been sparce for the last four days. Perhaps it is time that some new people were recruited. I can suggest some suitable candidtates..

I never have this problem and i keep re- advertising the same things. :closedeyes:

Well as you seem to be getting a bit narcked about it and some of it seems to be coming my way-

It possibly is a a bit amateurish because the mods are amateurs, they don't get paid, they do this in their own time and free of charge to us and the site owner. It is clear they have for whatever reason missed your original posts and messages I seriously doubt the conspiracy theory you seem to be alluding to - more cock-up than anything else - which given everything I've said is acceptable.

I reiterate it is a free service - if you wish to have something placed immediately use a paid for service like eBay...

ed to add

hang on a bloody minute - aren't they there??????????

yes they are -

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=41786

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=41785&pid=760219&st=0entry760219

Edited by MJG

I approved the ads as soon as I saw your message. I have been away from my laptop all weekend - although I can post, I can't really moderate from my phone. For ads to be approved they have to be spotted by the site crew first.

As regarding to it being amateurish, well quite - we are volunteers and the site is run not for profit, so it cannot be manned 24/7

Anyhow, you did the right thing in sending a message because I saw it right away.

given this;

" which I have not used ofor Donkeys years"

I haven't quite grasped your urgency.

so, I dare you, try writing a whole page of swear words and see how long it survives.....

Well as you seem to be getting a bit narcked about it and some of it seems to be coming my way-

It possibly is a a bit amateurish because the mods are amateurs, they don't get paid, they do this in their own time and free of charge to us and the site owner. It is clear they have for whatever reason missed your original posts and messages I seriously doubt the conspiracy theory you seem to be alluding to - more cock-up than anything else - which given everything I've said is acceptable.

I reiterate it is a free service - if you wish to have something placed immediately use a paid for service like eBay...

ed to add

hang on a bloody minute - aren't they there??????????

yes they are -

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=41786

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=41785&pid=760219&st=0entry760219

Yes they are now, and the times/date given are when I wrote them. I have been tracking moderator presence since saturday, and there were none on at the times given.

By the way I was not directing any criticsm at you, I only copied your posts as something to hang my comments on.

Yes they are now, and the times/date given are when I wrote them. I have been tracking moderator presence since saturday, and there were none on at the times given.

By the way I was not directing any criticsm at you, I only copied your posts as something to hang my comments on.

See LM's post above...

post #10

Edited by MJG

I approved the ads as soon as I saw your message. I have been away from my laptop all weekend - although I can post, I can't really moderate from my phone. For ads to be approved they have to be spotted by the site crew first.

As regarding to it being amateurish, well quite - we are volunteers and the site is run not for profit, so it cannot be manned 24/7

Anyhow, you did the right thing in sending a message because I saw it right away.

Thanks for the explanation, however it does not explain how two other moderators also failed to approve my posts, or are you all on flaky mobile connections?

I accept your point about all the moderators being voluntary, and not being available all the time. I wish to make it clear that I did not actually suggest that any of you were amateurs, but that but to leave the site virtually unmoderated for three days does not give the immpression of competence, hence my "amateurish" ocomment.

I am aware that a couple of the moderators do visit the site on a routinely regular basis, but another couple hardley ever show their faces, that is fine, but perhaps it would be prudent to seek to recruit some additional site Crew to ensure better coverage. If there had been a major attack on the site would it have been brought under control over the weekend?

given this;

" which I have not used ofor Donkeys years"

I haven't quite grasped your urgency.

so, I dare you, try writing a whole page of swear words and see how long it survives.....

You've met my wife haven't you? She wants rid of them before I cahnge my mind and decide to keep them.

I tried to rustle up a page of swearwords, but I don't know that many :lol:

In any case it's a good way of getting more views of the items on offer ,all this fuss!

Look nice ,hope you sell them but don't hold your breath, be better on eBay really.

Well although unintended, it has worked, both lots have takers.