"Northwich Trader"

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, mark99 said:

The most pragmatic view to take over false rivets imo is, if the boat package is to your choice, the rivets should not be a deal breaker. After all a false rivet is an adornment and by that definition any person criticising (not that you meet any in real world only in here or at a historic rally) should have a boat without their choice of "adornments".

I'm always slightly amused by a desire to have a display of rivets.  On my historic boat the rivets are flush with the iron sides and after a few years of blacking are almost invisible. 

12 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Thanks. She's a looker but I still prefer the N Traders.

I don't!

If you like a Josher look-alike, I think Roger Fuller's boats take some beating.

Though could you still order one, I thought Roger might be in near retirement, but maybe others are continuing the builds?

Out of interest, do you have any idea what a price comparison might be be between a Roger Fuller boat and a "similarly specced" (if such a thing is possible!) Northwich Trader?

I've absolutely no doubts which I prefer, and as far as I know Roger does not make the same excessive claims about using 1930s plans as Phil Trotter still appears to.

That said I'd be looking for a "Grand Union" "remake" from Brinklow Boat Services, before any other option that might be available.  The most convincing "remakes" of all to my eye - they just need a number of hefty dents put into them for added authenticity!

I seem to recall that this one, (Steve Priest's work), actually has real rivets in the back cabin and engine room, even if the hull ones are faked.  (I hope I have that right, or Steve will be correcting me!).

IMG_1023.JPG

I think Roger has retired.

Brinklow Boat Services = they make fantastic boats.

Mtb = I do run w/o cratch sometime and you are right. The bludy cratch is so usefull however (I wish I just ripped it off before trying it).

From memory a NTrader ahem, ok lets just call it an RW Davies Trader sailaway 62 foot with decent vintage engine in it was north of £60K although I think it's a bit more advanced than just a basic shell. EG back cabin was finished with stove. That was 2012/2013 IIRC.

56 minutes ago, Earthwatcher said:

Just noticed that XR&D build a Northwich trader-style boat. Any thoughts on how they compare with RW Davis? I loved the look of this tug (not an NT, I think, or maybe it is) in the owner pics and saw she was built at XR&D.

No, but I have a view on how it compares with an original Yarwoods bow, and it is not very favourable - every feature is over exagerated.

100_3772.JPG   image.png.54394001d7016fe82746759023a60dd6.png

XR&D build a Northwich trader-style boat                                 Original Small Northwich

Edited by David Schweizer

20 hours ago, Up-Side-Down said:

That's a question I'd be fascinated to know the answer to!

As I have said on a few threads on here...the answer is yes...I bought a new DM2 in early 2013 and fitted it in this..a one off XR&D NT?..I love it rivets and all

1294305_597464610292075_2082578086_o.jpg

• Love 1

35 minutes ago, carlt said:

They say the camera never lies but yours looks much nicer than the one in Alan's post. 

Now tell me it's the same boat... 

It probably is, photographed whilst practising to negotiate this summer's canal water levels. 

45 minutes ago, carlt said:

They say the camera never lies but yours looks much nicer than the one in Alan's post. 

Now tell me it's the same boat... 

No its not..as I said it was a one off built to my spec by a great team..with a planked bow

100_2464.JPG

Edited by linnit