Waterways Charity finally gets a name

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

This one comment is considered as me and Nabo critisising the charity. For the record I have no opinion on the charity and I don't believe I stated one. BW have been reorganising every few years since I have been boating so no change there.

Post 60 states that judging by the posts here BW can't rely on donations from boaters. The comment from the agm said the same thing.

Thanks Chris for supporting Nabo.

Sue

Yes my observation is that the new charity looks like having to rely on non boaters for donations and that is a shame, it also has a big down side. In order to rely on donations from non boaters the new charity will spend money where the donations come from so expect great towpaths for cyclists and walkers.

we are in a very weak situation now, if the old style hostile and arrogant BW managment carries over to this trust they will use it as an opportunity to clear out all the old byelaws, and really screw boaters for every penny, and knacker their number one enemy, continuous cruisers.

unions have ruined this country, but we need something like that, the IWA are a non entity.

we are in a very weak situation now, if the old style hostile and arrogant BW managment carries over to this trust they will use it as an opportunity to clear out all the old byelaws, and really screw boaters for every penny, and knacker their number one enemy, continuous cruisers.

unions have ruined this country, but we need something like that, the IWA are a non entity.

Have I have never felt that BW saw CCers as the enemy in fact I have always found BW very helpful whenever I have contacted them with a CCing related question such as "is it ok if I overstay for a few days because I have a problem" I think a bigger problem is that boaters see BW as the enemy............

smiley_offtopic.gif not quite sure how unions have ruined this country but can leave that for another day.

• Greenie 1

Starting by helping the User Groups is one way to do it. I think Nabo is the best, but then I would. There are others but they all work together when there is a problem and they have the clout to get things changed.

Sue

There are others but they all work together when there is a problem and they have the clout to get things changed.

If that were the case how come you never stop whinging about BW and now the new lot.

If NABO were capable of getting things changed why on Earth didn't they use their "clout" to change all the things they moan about?

"Crap name, crap logo, same old fat cats, losing volunteers on K&A, no support for new charity, inadequate maintenance, not shifting overstayers, questionable legality of mooring restrictions etc, etc..."all recent whinges by you and NABO.

What have any of the waterways talking shops done to bring about change, for any of these issues?

Bugger all!!

Edited by carlt
  • Greenie 1

Starting by helping the User Groups is one way to do it. I think Nabo is the best, but then I would. There are others but they all work together when there is a problem and they have the clout to get things changed.

Sue

Another way might be to support the new charity. As an example you say they screw the boaters for every penny, my new licence for a 60ft boat I think on renewal next month will be about £700 or just over £13 per week, now I think that is quite good value for being able to use 2,000 miles of canal, fill my boat with water, empty my cassette and dispose of my rubbish moor in most places for up to 14 days. At present I pay over £1,000 a year in Council Tax on an empty house.

...says a man posting on Canal World Discussion Forum ;)

The difference is that this place claims only to be a talking shop.

NABO tries to claim that it is important that we belong, so that BW will take our views into account.

Here on CWF we have a massive variety of views and vested interests in conversation for it's own intrinsic rewards. NABO and other organisations claim to influence the powers that be on behalf of boaters. I would not join such an organisation on the grounds that they are either:

a/ Totally innefectual with no influence,

b/ wield considerable influence totally contrary to my own best interests.

Now if GOOD things were afoot and an organisation came forward claiming to have had an input then I might consider joining but all the time the news is unremittingly bad anyone who claims to be influencing developments best stay at least a mooring pins length away from me.

• Greenie 1

Absolute crap, any of us could have photoshopped the logo in 5 mins. Inspiring name to market worldwide!

"CANAL & RIVER TRUST - The charity running British Waterways"

:smiley_offtopic:

64CLARENDONRDFATCATS.jpg

for those unaware thats 64 Clarendon Rd, BW's headquarters

One assumes from this that CART will be pulled by the same donkeys who made BW what it is today and that they will be paid like they are Derby winners for doing it rather than all be sent off to the knakers yard. Mind you I doubt they would make good glue or premium dogmeat though I'm sure Robin could convince MPs that they would and then award himself a bonus!

I love how the new logo features only a swan and not a sign of a boat.

Clearly the canals are there for swans to swim along them.

Frankly, the name's rubbish and the logo is rubbish. (Didn't really expect anything other...)

Whilst I agree it's not particularly inspiring I think C&Rt's problem was covering all the uses that they believe the waterways should be used for.

Including Boaters/walkers/maggot drowners etc etc

Probably the most 'neutral' graphic they could come up with.

I love how the new logo features only a swan and not a sign of a boat.

Clearly the canals are there for swans to swim along them.

Frankly, the name's rubbish and the logo is rubbish. (Didn't really expect anything other...)

Neither does the present one feature a boat - clearly canals are there for people and vehicles to cross over!

An image of a lock with some reeds and a fisherman below would have been better IMO.

And start an argument about fishing from lock landings!

The present logo didn't offend - why should this one?

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

An image of a lock with some reeds and a fisherman below would have been better IMO.

But why? - they are but one group that use the waterways that is my point - as I see it, from C&RT's perspective you either design one that collectively includes all types of canal users (too complex) or you keep it bland and not include any.

I would wager that was the brief to the designer.

I'm not saying they are necessarily correct to do this - but that is why we have ended up with what we have.