Waterways Charity finally gets a name

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

I would hazard a guess that the Wildlife Trusts, collectively, are responsible for far more acreage than BW are, yet they are funded with little reward to their donors.

I am a member of 3 Wildlife Trusts and have never visited a reserve that carries a charge for non-members. Indeed I haven't visited a reserve, of one of the Trusts, since they dropped their independence and joined the collective.

Like preserving our heritage I believe we should support wildlife conservation because it is right, not because it provides a nice play area or tourist attraction.

Can't argue with any of that, I'm a member of the Wetland and Wildfowl Trust and would certainly regard myself as having a foot in both camps. It's the disregard for boaters that bothers me, not the inclusion of other interests.

Personally I favoured "Navigations of England & Wales Trust" (NEWT).

:lol: Nice one, I think I'd have voted for that!

She may not be A representative of NABO. She does however appear to be representative of the generally negative tone that comes out of that organisation.

Hmmm. Do you have imaginary friends Dave?

Where are the other "negative tones" coming out of the organisation - and before you grasp for the pun, that one won't wash either as he is not involved in that capacity either.

Where are the other "negative tones" coming out of the organisation - and before you grasp for the pun, that one won't wash either as he is not involved in that capacity either.

I would say this might be a good example of NABO's negative attitude towards the new charity seems like they have decided new charity is not worth supporting.

Simon Salem asked at the Nabo agm 'How many here would give to the BW charity'. He was answered by complete silence.

Sue

I would say this might be a good example of NABO's negative attitude towards the new charity seems like they have decided new charity is not worth supporting.

Maybe once again coloured by Sue's sourness as this is a quote from the chairman of NABO, David Fletcher

"I have met with most of the new interim Trustees, and I was impressed."

and this

"The Interim Trustees now have the task of assessing the future of the NWC, deciding on many of the gaps in the way it works, finalising the deal with Government and ultimately deciding whether this is fit to go ahead. They will need all our support as work progresses."

Edited by Chris Pink

Maybe once again coloured by Sue's sourness as this is a quote from the chairman of NABO, David Fletcher

"I have met with most of the new interim Trustees, and I was impressed."

Not sure how many attend AGM for NABO but seemed pretty unanimous that they would not support the new charity. I presume sue was there and she states not one person was prepared to support the charity. It would appear that David Fletcher has made some sort of U turn unless he did not attend the AGM

Not sure how many attend AGM for NABO but seemed pretty unanimous that they would not support the new charity. I presume sue was there and she states not one person was prepared to support the charity. It would appear that David Fletcher has made some sort of U turn unless he did not attend the AGM

Again (and I should stress I am not a member of NABO, let alone a representative) this is from the published report of the last AGM (November 2010)

" David [Fletcher] explained Simon Salem’s role and outlined the upcoming Defra consultation on the future of BW:- the choice is to stay as it is or to become a ‘third sector’ organisation. David sought views on NABO’s stance on the third sector proposals, which was followed by a discussion broadly in favour of the new organisation. "

Might be time to stop NABO bashing until such time as you can find real things to charge them with rather the chimera you seem to see at present.

Edited by Chris Pink

Well, on that particular point, you took the words out of my mouth.

Whether he is an official spokesman or not, he is somebody who has been a member of NABO council, and who has claimed to have a role as a spokesman at some point in the past.

I was actually thinking of NABO News, which thankfully I don't get anymore, having decided to spend the money on something more worthwhile.

Sorry, but the organisation just oozes anti-BW sentiment, and no matter what BW does, NABO will criticise it.

Well, on that particular point, you took the words out of my mouth.

Whether he is an official spokesman or not, he is somebody who has been a member of NABO council, and who has claimed to have a role as a spokesman at some point in the past.

I was actually thinking of NABO News, which thankfully I don't get anymore, having decided to spend the money on something more worthwhile.

Sorry, but the organisation just oozes anti-BW sentiment, and no matter what BW does, NABO will criticise it.

Sorry are we discussing BW now? I thought we were talking about CART?

And your knowledge of NABO council is well out of date, do keep up Dave.

And NABO News, with the exception of the latest issue is available online free to all so none of your money is endangered by finding out the facts before spouting off. You are just as sour mouthed as Sueb.

eta: I think you'll find that his crossword is really rather good.

Edited by Chris Pink
  • Greenie 1

Again (and I should stress I am not a member of NABO, let alone a representative) this is from the published report of the last AGM (November 2010)

" David [Fletcher] explained Simon Salem’s role and outlined the upcoming Defra consultation on the future of BW:- the choice is to stay as it is or to become a ‘third sector’ organisation. David sought views on NABO’s stance on the third sector proposals, which was followed by a discussion broadly in favour of the new organisation. "

Might be time to stop NABO bashing until such time as you can find real things to charge them with rather the chimera you seem to see at present.

So are you saying this is not true?

Simon Salem asked at the Nabo agm 'How many here would give to the BW charity'. He was answered by complete silence.

Sue

Don't know, wasn't there. I looked for reference in the report and could find none so if it was it wasn't considered significant.

Bearing in mind the authority (or not) of your quote I wouldn't take it as gospel.

I guess no one at NABO AGM willing to support new charity is not significant to NABO but does not reflect very well on an organisation that is supposed to support Boat Owners, guess that is why I have never joined.

I guess no one at NABO AGM willing to support new charity is not significant to NABO but does not reflect very well on an organisation that is supposed to support Boat Owners, guess that is why I have never joined.

interesting that you keep banging on about one statement made by someone who says herself she doesn't speak for NABO when I give you 4 examples of stated support for the new organisation from someone who does.

I thought you more intelligent than that John.

Has anyone else wondered why they came up with this name when the public consultation made it clear that other names were clearly favoured by the majority of consultees. In fact this name was never even mentioned in the consultation document. It seems that the decision was made long before the consultation took place.

Has anyone else wondered why they came up with this name when the public consultation made it clear that other names were clearly favoured by the majority of consultees. In fact this name was never even mentioned in the consultation document. It seems that the decision was made long before the consultation took place.

Confirms what many people suspect, that most 'public consultations' are a farce.

Tim

I remember being told by someone in HR at an old employer that "consultation is when we ask people how they feel about something that we've already decided to do".

I remember being told by someone in HR at an old employer that "consultation is when we ask people how they feel about something that we've already decided to do".

In employment terms that is pretty well spot on - it is different from 'negotiation'.

Any proof of this or have they got the job of producing the signs?

Sue

This one comment is considered as me and Nabo critisising the charity. For the record I have no opinion on the charity and I don't believe I stated one. BW have been reorganising every few years since I have been boating so no change there.

Post 60 states that judging by the posts here BW can't rely on donations from boaters. The comment from the agm said the same thing.

Thanks Chris for supporting Nabo.

Sue