bolinder

markr1

Featured Posts

have you any idea what a bolinder type 1054 is worth roughly

There is only a niche market for these engines, largely influenced by the difficulty of finding spares for them. Consequently it is difficult to define a market price for them, especially as they can be purchased relatively cheaply in Europe.

The answer therefore is probably "less than you might think/hope".

Edited to add - The Bolinder Engines web site mentioned by carlt has some useful contact details.

Chris G

(owner of 2 x 1052s - more flexible than one 1054!)

Edited by Batavia

There is only a niche market for these engines, largely influenced by the difficulty of finding spares for them. Consequently it is difficult to define a market price for them, especially as they can be purchased relatively cheaply in Europe.

The answer therefore is probably "less than you might think/hope".

- especially for a 1054, which is seriously big for a narrow boat & AFAIK the nb market is the only real market for them in the UK.

Tim

As I understand it the 1054 is a modern(ish) four cylinder engine nothing like the Bolinder singles from ex-working boats that have the distinctive sounding hit-and-miss governor. Its 46hp at 1500rpm according to the manual.

I'd say the value is very dependant on the condition but four cylinder diesels are not fashionable or sought after, even if they have Bolinder written on the side!

Re the value, does it run? How many hours since the last rebuild? If the answers are 'yes' and 'don't know' respectively, I'd hazard a total guess that you'd get about £1k for it, unless in a hurry to get rid, in which case halve that firgure.

Mike

As I understand it the 1054 is a modern(ish) four cylinder engine nothing like the Bolinder singles from ex-working boats that have the distinctive sounding hit-and-miss governor. Its 46hp at 1500rpm according to the manual.

I'd say the value is very dependant on the condition but four cylinder diesels are not fashionable or sought after, even if they have Bolinder written on the side!

Re the value, does it run? How many hours since the last rebuild? If the answers are 'yes' and 'don't know' respectively, I'd hazard a total guess that you'd get about £1k for it, unless in a hurry to get rid, in which case halve that firgure.

Mike

The 1050 series were designed in the late 1950s.

I paid £800 for a running 1052 in Holland a few years ago.

Bolinder's own gearbox on 1053/4s is a bit of a beast - huge and noisy. Most people who have rebuilt 1053/4s and 1113s in recent years have replaced them with PRMs, so the cost of doing that may need to be factored inot the value calculation.

Unless a purchaser is going to spend a great deal on rebuilding the engine (and some spectacular rebuilds have been done recently in the Cassio area), then the best approach isprobably just to use it until something catastrophic goes wrong - and value it on that basis.

Chris G

How many hours has it done?

Has it got a gearbox- if so what sort is it and what reduction ratio?

What does it look like- immaculate, good, rusty, tatty?

What does it run like?

Then maybe we can give you a better idea. Not as popular as the 1052/3 or 1113 versions so not worth as much as these.

N

Nothing like as much as you probably think. (ETA Just repeated what Chris said! :rolleyes: )

Pics?

There was one someone was trying to sell for £14,000 a couple of years ago. Knock a 0 off the end and you are getting close.

Edited by Speedwheel

There was one someone was trying to sell for £14,000 a couple of years ago. Knock a 0 off the end and you are getting close.

Mark,

If you are planning to offer John P that (the figure with the nought knocked off) for the one he has just re-built, please let me know, so that I can get a grandstand seat!

Chris

Mark,

If you are planning to offer John P that (the figure with the nought knocked off) for the one he has just re-built, please let me know, so that I can get a grandstand seat!

Chris

I will bring the popcorn and beer for that :)

Grumpy would live up to his nickname

Chris-B

Mark,

Chris

:lol: I'm selling tickets!

Isn't he keeping that one?

One sold recently taken from a boat in running order [ don`t know about condition with velvet drive 2/1 box]near tome on the river LOT[The guy had it up for 1,400 euro`s but I understand to make a sale he had to accept 600 `euro`s

What about the 1053s?

I saw a riveted iron tug called Victoria (no not myaskin's Victoria) with a 1053 in it I believe, which sounded delightful for a three cyl engine.

A few days later I bumped into John P in his immaculate Bolinder-powered josher and he spent quite a while explaining to me, totally unprompted, that a newly rebuilt one would cost £14k and why that should be the case. Hobby horses sprang to mind and somehow I got the feeling he might have one in build at the moment ;-)

He could have saved his breath though as I fully understand already that ground-up rebuilds are expensive and I'm not in the market for one anyway. Even if I was, a 1054 has three too many cylinders... and the hot-bulb Kromhout on the market for a while now would be my first choice ;) Might yet go for it if the Gleniffer continues to mess me about! I'm rambling now, I'll shut up.

Nice chatting to John though, despite the grumpiness :-)

What about the 1053s?

I saw a riveted iron tug called Victoria (no not myaskin's Victoria) with a 1053 in it I believe, which sounded delightful for a three cyl engine.

A few days later I bumped into John P in his immaculate Bolinder-powered josher and he spent quite a while explaining to me, totally unprompted, that a newly rebuilt one would cost £14k and why that should be the case. Hobby horses sprang to mind and somehow I got the feeling he might have one in build at the moment ;-)

He could have saved his breath though as I fully understand already that ground-up rebuilds are expensive and I'm not in the market for one anyway. Even if I was, a 1054 has three too many cylinders... and the hot-bulb Kromhout on the market for a while now would be my first choice ;) Might yet go for it if the Gleniffer continues to mess me about! I'm rambling now, I'll shut up.

Nice chatting to John though, despite the grumpiness :-)

Are they really that desirable, even in rebuilt state? :o

Never seen them as very special myself, I know some others will disagree :rolleyes:

Yes there are aspects which make rebuilding (with minimal spares availability) an expensive business, not sure if I dare to ask 'why bother?' with anything bigger than the twin!!

Yes a 1052 in good order does make a decent narrow boat engine, not sure about a 1054 though ??

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Now, if it was a Widdop.....

Absolutely. Always hankered after one.

They do have much greater scarcity value, though ;)

Never forgiven Norman ??, who used to own the Bridgewater tug Ellesmere and had a yard by the canal at Worsley, for refusing to sell me a 21 hp single which lay rusting in his yard on the basis that I didn't know what I would be buying (I didn't, then, aged about 18). It was, of course, scrapped.

Tim

How many hours has it done?

Has it got a gearbox- if so what sort is it and what reduction ratio?

What does it look like- immaculate, good, rusty, tatty?

What does it run like?

Then maybe we can give you a better idea. Not as popular as the 1052/3 or 1113 versions so not worth as much as these.

N

not sure about the run time, it does have a gear box and i think its 2to1

its in good condition no rust and runs fine

i have been offered one at what i thought was a good price but as i dont know a lot about them i just wanted to check i wasn't gona have my pants down