Dong Feng vintage diesel engine

MtB

Featured Posts

Not sure I'd fancy having to tell people I have a large Dong, when they are peering inquisitively into the engine hole ! :blush:

I guess the question I might always ask in cases like this is.....

"If it was so superb in your narrow boat, what prompted you to change it to something else!"

Are you SURE about that?

Yes, what is the current state of play at RN?

Certainly though they were producing new engines until very recently and even if they have stopped it may turn out to be a brief hiatus. If there is another rescue plan. It would be sad as in various ownerships they had an amazingly long record of continuous production.

Not sure I'd fancy having to tell people I have a large Dong, when they are peering inquisitively into the engine hole ! :blush:

I guess the question I might always ask in cases like this is.....

"If it was so superb in your narrow boat, what prompted you to change it to something else!"

4000cc

probably a bit thirsty!

Certainly though they were producing new engines until very recently and even if they have stopped it may turn out to be a brief hiatus. If there is another rescue plan. It would be sad as in various ownerships they had an amazingly long record of continuous production.

I know that at least one article a month or two back, when the new owbership was announced, admitted they had had a lean time recently and few new engines had been sold for a while, (I think it was also stated none at all had been sold this year).

IIRC they had reduced the price of a new engine by £3K, but that still makes them as expensive as many people's complete boat, unfortunately!

4000cc

probably a bit thirsty!

It doesn't really make that huge a difference though, does it ?

The "big engine" boys with massive cylinder sizes often claim hourly consumption rates not massively different from a modern engine.

You can buy massive amounts of extra diesel, versus the likely cost of changing an engine to one that's a bit less thirsty.

I know that at least one article a month or two back, when the new owbership was announced, admitted they had had a lean time recently and few new engines had been sold for a while, (I think it was also stated none at all had been sold this year).

IIRC they had reduced the price of a new engine by £3K, but that still makes them as expensive as many people's complete boat, unfortunately!

It doesn't really make that huge a difference though, does it ?

The "big engine" boys with massive cylinder sizes often claim hourly consumption rates not massively different from a modern engine.

Yes I can confirm this. I think it's the energy needed to push the boat through the water that has the biggest effect on fuel consumption, not the cylinder size.

I've owned and lived with five widely differing engines so far, a BMC 1.5, a Beta 34, a 3.5ltr litre Beta BD3, a 4ltr Kelvin K1 and a 4ltr Gleniffer DB2. All if these had the same fuel consumption to my surprise, roughly one litre an hour when cruising the cut.

I wouldn't mind betting Graham's K3 also uses about one litre an hour!

Yes I can confirm this. I think it's the energy needed to push the boat through the water that has the biggest effect on fuel consumption, not the cylinder size.

I've owned and lived with five widely differing engines so far, a BMC 1.5, a Beta 34, a 3.5ltr litre Beta BD3, a 4ltr Kelvin K1 and a 4ltr Gleniffer DB2. All if these had the same fuel consumption to my surprise, roughly one litre an hour when cruising the cut.

I wouldn't mind betting Graham's K3 also uses about one litre an hour!

Warrior's 3 cylinder National was about 4 litres and used one to one and a quarter litres an hour.

Well unless Dave and Deb bought RN with the intention of shutting it down, or something has gone very wrong very quickly, they should still be going.

• 1 month later...