Make a sketch of your boat

Québec

Featured Posts

For those of us who have got iPads and iPhones, there's a nice new free 'app' called My Sketch. Basically takes any photo and turns it into a sketch, and you can choose various styles e.g. fine lines, cross hatch, pastels, etc. Here's just one example of our boat. Might come in handy for DIY Christmas/Season's Greetings cards.(Edited to add; It's free...but for a limited period apparently)

Qubecsketch1.jpg

Edited by Québec

Very nice -

(Edited to add; It's free...but for a limited period apparently)

It's common for apps. to be free initially so that they go 'viral' and get circulated around the net like you have done - people give it free publicity and then the developers start charging after the initial period - often not that much though - but a million sales a99p a shout is a nice little earner.

For those of us who have got iPads and iPhones, there's a nice new free 'app' called My Sketch. Basically takes any photo and turns it into a sketch, and you can choose various styles e.g. fine lines, cross hatch, pastels, etc. Here's just one example of our boat. Might come in handy for DIY Christmas/Season's Greetings cards.(Edited to add; It's free...but for a limited period apparently)

Qubecsketch1.jpg

I like that for a Christmas card, looks like a snow flurry around the door and the flag and with icy grass and a frosty shine under the bridge...very nice.

I like that for a Christmas card, looks like a snow flurry around the door and the flag and with icy grass and a frosty shine under the bridge...very nice.

Thanks, but pure serendipity....the original photo was taken on a bright, summer's early morning near Wrenbury. The software has turned the sunlit patches and leaves into what could pass for snow or frost, and the 'snow flurry around the door' is actually the 'star' pattern on a curtain we hung across the door for privacy (the OH was still in bed!).

I thought these effects on photo editing software had been around for quite a long time, especially on Macs? I remember doing this sort of thing on my first computer, an Apple Powerbook, around 1993!

It's also available as an off-the-shelf filter in my weapon of choice for fannying about with images: the Gimp. I used it to create some spooky images in a haunted house game what I wrote.

I thought these effects on photo editing software had been around for quite a long time, especially on Macs? I remember doing this sort of thing on my first computer, an Apple Powerbook, around 1993!

Yes I'm sure your right, still fun though. It involves several process's.

De-saturating the image so its black & white

Inverting it so it becomes a negative

Adding Guassian blur at a custom pixel radius

Adjusting the gamma to get the contrast back up

I think the point here is that this app makes this facility available to 'ordinary' people, not just the technically astute. Which is the whole point of the iPad / iPhone. The Apple devices do nothing that all the other devices don't already do - its just that they do it with a total ease never seen before. Technically minded people often don't understand the point of the Apple devices because they can already achieve the computing tasks they want. The entire point of the iPad/iPhone is not what it does, it is how it does it. Computing for the rest of us!

When my techno-phobic dad went from a Nokia to an iPhone he left behind a world of unread text/no email and he became the most communication savvy 70 year old ever! If you want advice on Apple kit, do not ask a technical person, they don't understand!

I think the point here is that this app makes this facility available to 'ordinary' people, not just the technically astute. Which is the whole point of the iPad / iPhone. The Apple devices do nothing that all the other devices don't already do - its just that they do it with a total ease never seen before. Technically minded people often don't understand the point of the Apple devices because they can already achieve the computing tasks they want. The entire point of the iPad/iPhone is not what it does, it is how it does it. Computing for the rest of us!

When my techno-phobic dad went from a Nokia to an iPhone he left behind a world of unread text/no email and he became the most communication savvy 70 year old ever! If you want advice on Apple kit, do not ask a technical person, they don't understand!

Nicely put if I may say so!!

The new iphone imminent too...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15165081