Saab 10 HP model G

Bobbin

Featured Posts

Is there a problem with it, or just routine service?

Tim

Yes, the last time I started it up there was a very loud knocking sound for a few seconds. and it is getting a bit stiff when I engage reverse gear.

am sure your engine is in fact a SABB,and not a SAAB.

SAABis a vehicle and aircraft manufacturer.

SABB are manufacturers of fishing boat engines,try googling with the correct spelling,many have confused the two.

Sorry WILL DO BETTER NEXT TIME!!!

I love these engines and they are so easy to work on I would have thought any diesel mechanic could work on it.

Casp'

So many people like the sound they make. I just feel I need more help as I have been looking after it myself, and it made a loud knocking noise last time I started her up on Friday. She is out of the water at the moment being blacked.

Thanks

Bobbin

the loud knocking on startup could a weepy injector,when was the injector last reconditioned?

does the engine knock excessively on the overrun,or light load?

I don't know when the injector was last reconditioned, Iv'e had the boat for 2 years and 3 months now. It was a bit of a mess when I bought it.Last Friday was the first time it has happened, when I first turned the engine on. That was the first time I have turned the engine on since returning from Liverpool. I had to stop 9 times all together to clear the prop the canal was so filthy. I ran the engine for 12 hours to get back to my home mooring.

Yes, the last time I started it up there was a very loud knocking sound for a few seconds. and it is getting a bit stiff when I engage reverse gear.

Does it have the original Sabb remote gear control with a very heavy Morse-type cable? These can get gummed up/worn after many years' use, best cure is a new cable (available but expensive). No connection with the knocking, which if you're lucky might just be the injector as has been suggested. You might be unlucky, of course :(.

Tim

Does it have the original Sabb remote gear control with a very heavy Morse-type cable? These can get gummed up/worn after many years' use, best cure is a new cable (available but expensive). No connection with the knocking, which if you're lucky might just be the injector as has been suggested. You might be unlucky, of course :(.

Tim

Hi, Yes it does have the original heavy Morse-type cable. I think it is becoming clear to me that I really do need an engineer.

Thank you

Bobbin

Jonathon Hewitt at UCC Braunston is your man. They have some Sabbs in the small hireboats and he has a very good reputation. Charlie at Sileby Mill would also be good - he looks after a wide variety of engines.

Both a long way from Lancashire.

I'm at Dutton, near Preston Brook, may be able to help if you're not in too much of a hurry.

Tim

Jonathon Hewitt at UCC Braunston is your man. They have some Sabbs in the small hireboats and he has a very good reputation. Charlie at Sileby Mill would also be good - he looks after a wide variety of engines.

Seconded. He knows Sabbs inside out, and nearly always has one undergoing a re-build on the blocks in his workshop,(not the same one)

Edited by David Schweizer

Hi. Thank you,I do feel I need someone who has experience with Sabb engines, I have located an engineer now, but he wants to keep my boat for a week "canal side" and the manual! I have had somebody work on it before he said he was an engineer..................turns out he is a truck driver. I am learning fast!!!

Seconded. He knows Sabbs inside out, and nearly always has one undergoing a re-build on the blocks in his workshop,(not the same one)

Hi, Thank you. It's a long way to go, so maybe I can contact him next year for the full 600 hour service, if he would take my little boat on.

Thanks again

Bobbin

Edited by Bobbin

Sorry I don't understand, is it Mr Hewett who is ill? If so, I will not bother him. And I wish him a speedy recovery.

Both a long way from Lancashire.

I'm at Dutton, near Preston Brook, may be able to help if you're not in too much of a hurry.

Tim

Hi Tim, I keep my boat in Scarisbrick Marina, but she is out of the water at the moment being blacked. I hope to take her back to the marina some time today.............Apart from work commitments abroad I am on board every weekend. At the moment I am having with drawl symptoms without her. If I can find a crew to help with the swing bridges and locks I would gladly bring her. She is a 30ft V hull built by Mike Heywood.

Thank you.

Bobbin