Ouch!!

bottle

Featured Posts

You will note that I omitted to mention in my post that I don't believe the moon is made of cheese. That doesn't mean I do believe it. It would make for some very long posts if I were obliged to set out all my beliefs in full in order to prevent you from making erroneous and illogical assumptions.

Titter....

Unless it is being paid early due to Ill Health retirement.

are you planning a sickie already??? - probably true but I can't remember the last ill health retirement that was granted for anybody that I worked with - they are like hen's teeth around these parts...

There are also certain classes of employee in various schemes who have earlier retirement dates than the rest.

I know - I was one of them....

are you planning a sickie already??? - probably true but I can't remember the last ill health retirement that was granted for anybody that I worked with - they are like hen's teeth around

[

Not me, but i do know somebody who may be in that position in the near future

Not me, but i do know somebody who may be in that position in the near future

I think he/she will find it quite difficult, as I say over recent years the 'bar' to be able to do this has gone quite up quite a lot - NHS pensions in my experience understandably have clamped down on these - that said it does mean staff who genuinely will not be able to work ever again still are able to retire and draw their pension.

It's become in my experience much less of a vehicle for folk to exit the organisation who should really have been dealt with under capability or disciplinary procedures...

I agree with your assesment about redundancies and early retirement being used to reduce Local Authority staffing levels, but some of your examples perhaps require some explanation. It has never been possible to receive a Local Government Pension under redundancy arrangements before the age of 50 years old (55 nowadays), and you do not get any index linked pension increases for the first five years. If your friend retired at 49 they must have been retired on Ill Health grounds where the rules are different.

The arrangements where up to 10 years pension enhancement could be applied was under Local Govermnent Re-Organizatuion rules, and only applied for two years after the changeover date. To get 40 years pension at the age of fifty means that the employee would need to have been in the scheme for a minimum of thirty years

I know of no one who has suceeded in getting any such enhancements in recent years, and it also needs to be pointed out (just in case some biggots have not grasped it), that although it is called a "Final Salary Scheme", 40 years pension is actually only half of the employee's final salary, and it cannot be increased beyond this level.

David - I'm referring to the early retirement on grounds of efficiency or whatever they call it now which I'm sure you know as well as I do has accounted for shed loads of useless employees leaving before they have fully contributed to the scheme.

Early retirement on health grounds has been similarly abused, in my view, and yes it was used in the case of the 49 year old (who was/is not my friend by the way). An exceptional case maybe but a good example of what local authorities can get away with if they really want to.

And before you mention the Daily Mail again, I was once a full member of the Labour Party, and have never voted Tory in my life. Though I suspect that might change in 2105.

Sebrof... I admire your views and like your style even if I can't be ar$ed to argue it out but...

2105?

I know, it's quite clear what's happened but in the off chance i'm wrong I want to know your secret as to how you're gonna vote in ninety four years time... :)

David - I'm referring to the early retirement on grounds of efficiency or whatever they call it now which I'm sure you know as well as I do has accounted for shed loads of useless employees leaving before they have fully contributed to the scheme.

Early retirement on health grounds has been similarly abused, in my view, and yes it was used in the case of the 49 year old (who was/is not my friend by the way). An exceptional case maybe but a good example of what local authorities can get away with if they really want to.

Yes. The one I really liked was "The employee has demonstrated that his/her experience and/or training is not compatible with the modern requirements of the job, and investigations have concluded that he/she is an unsuitable candidate for re-training" In other words they cannot, and never will be capable of doing a decent job, so they get early retirement on efficiency grounds.

Sebrof... I admire your views and like your style even if I can't be ar$ed to argue it out but...

2105?

I know, it's quite clear what's happened but in the off chance i'm wrong I want to know your secret as to how you're gonna vote in ninety four years time... :)

I come from a very long-lived family.

We're also slightly dyslexic.