What's wrong with this boat?

Eloise

Featured Posts

Hello all. This is my first post, but since starcoaster now has hers, I thought maybe some of you might be able to help me out too. I'm looking for a boat that I can single-hand for most of the year. I've done endless reading and research, and now want to visit a few boats to get an idea of size, layout, how to assess their condition etc. This boat has been moved from Whilton to Braunston and doesn't seem to be selling. Is there something glaringly obvious about it that should put me off making a trip to view it?

http://www.braunstonmarina.co.uk/Findaboat/tabid/66/id/329/boat-name/Witches%20Promise/Default.aspx

Any comments welcome.

Eloise

Bazza

That applies to most narrowboats, even the new ones, but its good advice, especially the DC electrics where there is a always a threat of fire due to under-specced wiring, no fuses etc. Would be particularly concerned about the AC/mains installation from the shoreline - often totally botched and potentially lethal.

Its a fit out done by the previous owner. It would bear a very close look at the quality of the woodwork and the electrics by someone who knows what they are looking at

I would echo what the others have said - hull thickness (and the condition of the engine - does it start, does it run right etc).

If it hasn't been replated and I assume it hasn't, then some of the plates could be getting very thin in places.

Also, I think its a few thousand overpriced.

If you are interested, get a survey done and haggle them down.

If it needs replating, make sure your budget can withstand it.

Hello all. This is my first post, but since starcoaster now has hers, I thought maybe some of you might be able to help me out too. I'm looking for a boat that I can single-hand for most of the year. I've done endless reading and research, and now want to visit a few boats to get an idea of size, layout, how to assess their condition etc. This boat has been moved from Whilton to Braunston and doesn't seem to be selling. Is there something glaringly obvious about it that should put me off making a trip to view it?

http://www.braunstonmarina.co.uk/Findaboat/tabid/66/id/329/boat-name/Witches%20Promise/Default.aspx

Any comments welcome.

Eloise

Edited by NB Willawaw

That boat has been for sale for some time now so obviously something is wrong. Even without looking you would have to be thinking £13,500 or thereabouts which doesn't sound like a lot of money for a 36 footer so you have to ask why hasn't someone else bought it.

It all very well to say have a survey done but at this end of the market it's a significant percentage of your budget.

The size of the stern deck is a minus point possibly, but I'd bet it is the quality of the DIY fit out - the photos will flatter all but the worst interiors.

It's been said before but the best advice is to look at as many boats as you can to get an idea of what you get for your money these days.

Some may disagree with me here but i wouldn't be hugely concerned about the hull on a 30 year old boat - you must expect some issues and it is therefore a given you will have to consider spending money on it.. The interior and the engine are different matters. You might find a 30 year old boat with a nearly new engine and a good quality fit out, or it might have a clapped out old Lister and a shoddy interior (there's lots about). Eg My boat is 30 years old but it came with a reconditioned engine, new gearbox, new diesel room heater, new fridge, and a smart interior. The hull survey identified various areas that will need attention in the next few years but I know that is the only serious expense I have to be concerned about and if I come to sell her any prospective buyer will be in a similar position.

I'd say unless this boat had real problems below the water she has to be worth an offer on the asking price but it's very likely she doesn't look so good inside in the flesh and that's why she hasn't sold.

Thanks very much for all of this advice. I know there's no substitute for actually going to have a look, so I think I'll do more of that, and I wouldn't think of buying anything without a full survey. It's useful to know that offers could be well below the asking price.

I hadn't actually noticed the height! Not a problem for me, but I do have some tall friends ...

There seems to be so much to consider. I think there ARE probably some kind of issues with the hull here, but I'm going to take a trip round some marinas soon and I'll compile a list of questions to ask. This forum is an absolute godsend for the novice. :unsure:

Many thanks again - think this one is probably a 'buyer beware'.

Hello Eloise,.

I am 2 all things canal boats/Barges...so I among like you a Newbee. I have posted 2messages on this site.. about being new to all things Canal living.

I have been doing research for quite a while now (..in various Forms, Websites, Canal magazines, talking to boaters) face2face... I have looked at link of the boat you have purchased..its very nice.

I am sending you this message to ask would you mind sharing your knowledge you have gained on your purchase..??

The one thing that slightly worries me at mo,. is not so much the Boats/Barges, but seems lot other Costs around Canals. The reason I have started looking at the Canal as a Perm living & Barge as a Home is simply because I can't afford to get near property.. WHO can these Days! I think the Barges could be a great Soultion for a lot people like me..As I keep hearing from these 'Head in the'CLOUDs' polticians is that there is now a Critical Housing Shortage!!

Anyway,. thanks for reading Eloise...I hope we can converse more..

Cheers

Darren

Any comments welcome.

Eloise

Hi there Smudge. I haven't actually bought a boat yet, and although I've read endlessly, particularly on these forums, I've only been to see one boat and rejected it because there seemed to be some mysteries surrounding the ownership of it. Also, the seller seemed to have assumed that I'm a bit stupid and tried to tell me several things about boats that were untrue, eg that you would rarely get a proper cooker with a 40 foot boat.

There's no substitute for finding out as much as you can before you view, by reading the topics here and asking questions if you need to. After that, I think you need to go and view some. Perhaps you could draw up a checklist of what you want - maybe 'I must have this' and 'I'd like this but it's not vital'? The key thing is a sound hull, so you'd have to have a hull survey at least.

I can't really advise you, because I'm just a novice! I'm happy to share ideas though. At the moment I've gone into a bit of a catatonic state about the whole buying process, and might just leave it until the spring, unless I see something I really want.

Eloise :unsure:

Boats like everything else are about 25% too dear and many brokers and particularly owners fail to understand

that we are in a whole different ball game nowadays. I would be extremely wary of the owner fit out and even more so the rubbish materials used - cheap laminate and units etc. got up for the eye, to trap the unwary.. Looks about 8-9000 to me if that. The first sentence does NOT apply to me, Warrior or Dominic :).

Buy now or at least later in the winter, lots of desperate folks out there. Come the spring more buyers eager to get afloat.

Edited by PaddingtonBear

Thanks for replying PB - I was in Bilbao! Plenty of very large boats there ...

I'm sure you're right about pricing, particularly private owners (except you :lol: ). Many boats advertised on ebay don't sell at the moment because they don't reach their reserve price. One seller recently seemed to get quite disgruntled that people were watching but not offering, and added a rather terse message that since no-one had bought it, he would now have to put it with a broker and charge more.

I can't see any harm in offering 25% less now winter's on its way, so thanks very much for the advice. One more thing to look out for - dodgy owner fit-outs!

One more thing to look out for - dodgy owner fit-outs!

I don't think adding "owner" or "professional boat fitter" makes any difference, fine craftpersonship and lovely materials are just as likely to be found in owner fitouts as professional ones, in fact it could almost be the other way round, someone doing something for themselves is likely to add a little more time whereas a professional wants maximum profit on time and materials.

It's 33 years old with an original hull thickness of 6mm. Might be that there's an issue there. You'd certainly need a hull survey.

the cost of a survey keeps cropping up.

i often get asked to advise on boat purchases,and whether or not to proceed to the surveying stage.

with a steel narrowboat,visual inspection is the first step.

the second is to give the hull a good tapping with a decent size ball pein hammer,weakened steel will not give the same "ring" as sound steel.

could be worth considering asking a seasoned marine engineer or metal fabricator to spend a few minutes giving the hull an inspection,then ,decide whether the official survey would be money well spent.

And if the hammer goes through there is most definitely a problem.

Get off the boat quick

and keep running.

And be prepared to re-imburse the owner for repairs - unless you have written consent to use a hammer to test steel on the boat.

Leo.

I suppose 'owner fit-out' could cover everything from fitting out a shell to adding a few cupboards, and I'd imagine that issues such as dodgy electrics could be as much of a problem as a thin hull. So I'd definitely go for a full survey. And I'd rather pay more for a boat that's not going to need major repairs within a year or so, eg hull re-plating. So I've dismissed this particular boat. It's been on sale for at least six months, at two different brokers.

I'm going to look at a few boats at Notts Boats this weekend. I do have plenty of information about what to look out for, much of it from reading these boards! I'm sure I'll have loads more questions though, so I'll put them in a separate thread. In fact, I'll start now ...

The hammer thing sounds a bit drastic.

The poor grammar of the name would put me off alone ;)

The best thing I would recommend is getting yourself to the Midlands and spending a day or two traipsing round all the brokers in the area looking at as many boats as you can bear. That is the best way to get a feel for what you want, can afford, and should avoid. And enjoy!

The poor grammar of the name would put me off alone ;)

Yes! One of my recurrent thoughts was that an apostrophe wouldn't have taken much more paint. I do find that I'm swayed by boat names, although I'm trying to see beyond that. The trouble is, often it's not just the name, it's a whole paint job 'theme'. There must be something to be said for calling a boat something inoffensive. If I didn't like the name, it would be a choice between an expensive repaint or regularly yelling out 'I didn't choose this name!'

What poor grammar? The correct response is "Oh, do they really"?

A comparable riposte has been made by postmen delivering packages marked "Records - do not bend". "Oh yes they do!" says postie, ramming the package through the letter box.

• Greenie 1

Guest Quo Vadis

I was boat hunting this time last year and was very surprised to find that every boat I fancied seemed to get snapped-up really quickly, I didn't get a chance to even put in an offer.

I had expected sales to be flagging, and prices negotiable, but it just wasn't so.

Maybe this year, with the economy scraping along the bottom, a better deal may be had.

Good Hunting :)

the cost of a survey keeps cropping up.

i often get asked to advise on boat purchases,and whether or not to proceed to the surveying stage.

with a steel narrowboat,visual inspection is the first step.

the second is to give the hull a good tapping with a decent size ball pein hammer,weakened steel will not give the same "ring" as sound steel.

could be worth considering asking a seasoned marine engineer or metal fabricator to spend a few minutes giving the hull an inspection,then ,decide whether the official survey would be money well spent.

This is a good point. i know at least one surveyor who is prepared to give an "opinion" on a boat for much less than a full survey. What it means is the guy will not take money from someone if he feels the boat is a wrong un. When we bought our first boat he told us to walk away from the first one we looked at without charging a penny. He rang us from site the second time before proceeding with the full survey, we ended up buying that boat. I don't know if all surveyors are like this. You still have to shell out for a lift of course, but I would trust our guy to advise me with the boat in the water initially.

I suppose 'owner fit-out' could cover everything from fitting out a shell to adding a few cupboards, and I'd imagine that issues such as dodgy electrics could be as much of a problem as a thin hull. So I'd definitely go for a full survey. And I'd rather pay more for a boat that's not going to need major repairs within a year or so, eg hull re-plating. So I've dismissed this particular boat. It's been on sale for at least six months, at two different brokers.

I'm going to look at a few boats at Notts Boats this weekend. I do have plenty of information about what to look out for, much of it from reading these boards! I'm sure I'll have loads more questions though, so I'll put them in a separate thread. In fact, I'll start now ...

The hammer thing sounds a bit drastic.

i was not suggesting that the ball pein hammer should be used with maximum force,merely tapping to see if there were any areas of the steelwork which would not resonate in the way that "happy steel"should.

too severe a blow could vibrate some of the rivets off!not the real ones of course...