ANNOUNCEMENT! I seem to have a boat!

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

I know! I know! there are rope bow and stern fenders on the boat, and some rubber side ones. I need rope ones (to dip a couple in for the cats.)

Have ordered off ebay. Ditto for a porta potti.

Inverter, cool. I guess the biggest drainage item I'll use at any given moment is my microwave? If I get a bigger inverter will it also work for the smaller stuff?

I will get things like a chimney brush, pole etc. at the chandlers when we get there...

**Self- prescribes 10mg valium and some Chinese food**

Edited by Starcoaster

Starry, we can all feel your excitement, the lucky ones amongst us have been there and know what it is like to have your very own boat.

Bottle is right, slow down and enjoy your first moments of ownership, there will be plenty of time to get all the stuff you will want later.

To be honest, I would think that your boat would have some bits of running gear onboard, at least a couple of mooring warps and maybe some fenders.

Why not wait till you get onboard to see what is actually there?

The boat yard, perhaps, will let you have an old warp or two if there is none onboard. That goes for the fenders too, although I wouldn't worry too much about then till you gat to Braunston if there are none aboard.

It is all to easy to spend out on stuff and then find out that you actually don't need it.

Congratulations on your purchase and enjoy!

Nipper

Indeed -

We were lucky perhaps but our boat came with everything we needed equipment wise to set off into the sunset....

we did however need to top up the diesel and exchange a gas cylinder.. these would be the basics I would check...

Take a deep breath - s l o w l y i n

hold

hold

and

s l o w l y o u t

Enjoy your first trip in your new boat. I'm sure carlt will look after you and make sure you've got what you need for the immediate future.

Once you start to get used to being on your boat you will start to find out what you need to add and in what sequence.

Three of the most important things are a kettle, something to heat the kettle on, and something to put the hot water into so your body can use it - have you got a kettle and a few mugs??

I know! I know! there are rope bow and stern fenders on the boat, and some rubber side ones. I need rope ones (to dip a couple in for the cats.)

Have ordered off ebay. Ditto for a porta potti.

Inverter, cool. I guess the biggest drainage item I'll use at any given moment is my microwave? If I get a bigger inverter will it also work for the smaller stuff?

I will get things like a chimney brush, pole etc. at the chandlers when we get there...

**Self- prescribes 10mg valium and some Chinese food**

Look on the back of your microwave for its wattage and double it (ie: 800 watt output microwave requires 1600 watt input plus surge of 50% when starting,

To put it in simple terms it will be drawing 160 amps (10watts at 12V = 1amp) out of your batteries) Only use the microwave when plugged into the shoreline.

All a inverter does is converts DC to AC and steps up the voltage to 240V. Inverters are spit in to 2 types, One is the modified sine wave (The cheapest) this will work with basic electric items. Many items with chips in them will require a Pure sine inverter to work, the down side a much higher price.

My own Prosine 1000' cost $1200 ten years ago, But the this is a high grade model and mainly used to power the office computer systems.

Stick with name brand inverters.When it comes to inverters, you get what you pay for.

What you take out of the batteries you have to put back 120%. ( If use 50 amps overnight you need to replace with 60amps)

Firesprite

In the office

Edited by nbfiresprite

• 2 weeks later...

Tomorrow (monday) the gas is supposed to be finished and then the bss done and the licence got the next day.

I am then going to pick it up on Thursday.

I am moving myself and everything on board a week today (30th) and most of my furniture is gone and I have pretty much singlehandedly stocked both a tip and a charity shop from what I have gotten rid of and still seem to have crap left!

I am going to keep it on a marina round Rugby way (tbc when I know the bss is done!) for a week, then start heading for Pillings Lock on the Soar where I am going to park for the winter.

Just as soon as I work out how to turn the engine on, drive the boat, put diesel in it, fill the water tanks, work the electrics, do a lock, navigate a journey, light a stove...

Shit. Someone help me!

Edited by Starcoaster

Tomorrow (monday) the gas is supposed to be finished and then the bss done and the licence got the next day.

I love a girl with a sense of humour....!

Never make plans where other peeps working on you boat are concerned. You'll always be disappointed.

I may well be able to give u a hand once it is in the water... keep the board posted.

Mike

Shit. Someone help me!

Do you really need help?

You have hundreds of forum members who are all only to happy to help you, whether in a distant supportive way, a written down technical way or a hands on practical way so please don't start to panic!

Yes it is a steep learning curve and there are so many aspects of boat owning that you feel you suddenly need to know but in truth many of those things will just come naturally to start with (and you can tweak the way you do them later to refine your skills). Many people who have been boating for years are still learning (at least those who are big enough to admit they don't know it all lol).

As has already been said - slow down, take a deep breath and enjoy the experience. I would avoid spending money on ANYTHING that is not 100% necessary to start with because as you use your boat you will start to look at how others boaters approach the thing that is causing you a problem and it will become more obvious to you what is the right way for you deal with it.

Enjoy yourself!

Well, it looks like a pleasant trip via the Coventry, T&M & the Soar.

Very varied & at least you will have loads of narrow locks first.

Try to stop at Fradley or Alrewas, Willington & Shardlow.

The Soar is great but heavy going through the wide locks on your own & keep an eye on the weather. A couple of days of heavy rain soon brings the river up.

Good luck.

My cat climbs up a pipe fender easily when she falls in.

Hope you're having a good day! I bought my boat from Braunston Marina as a lone novice and the first trip was to Hillmorton - I was terrified and my knees were actually knocking lol. The next trip though I gained in confidence and each time I move now it's easier :)

Welocme to the forum Trish.

I may be wrong but I think we met you on the Ashby last year, perhaps when we moored at Carlton where a liveaboard chap called Gary was most hospitable and tried to sell us a terrier puppy.

Our boat tends to be remembered as it is mainly purple in colour.

If that was not you, sorry, but welcome anyway.

right Star, as people are saying, 'deep breath'.....'calm'....go get some rescue remedy, or a pint of vodka!!! It won't be half so bad or difficult as you are imagining. I bet between us all we can work out a bit of a rota to help you through the harder bits should you need it though. I have messaged you on Facebook with some possibly good news if I can pull the right strings ;) only possible though at the moment.

You will turn up at pillings a confident boat woman I am sure, and there are lots of places you can just pull in if you need to practice breathing again on the way, but I am sure that after the first day you will relax and get the hang of it.

Don't panic hun...........

Just a thought...anywhere you could perhaps leave your cats till you 'land' so you have one less worry?

Well, it looks like a pleasant trip via the Coventry, T&M & the Soar.

Very varied & at least you will have loads of narrow locks first.

Try to stop at Fradley or Alrewas, Willington & Shardlow.

The Soar is great but heavy going through the wide locks on your own & keep an eye on the weather. A couple of days of heavy rain soon brings the river up.

Good luck.

Having 'done the Soar' (for the 1st time) last week I can confirm the odd lock is veeeery heavy. SWMBO is nominally our lock operator (and she's a strong lass !!!) but did struggle and on one occasion I had to get off and help her to get the gate moving.

It may be worth considering taking a mooring at Sawley ( virtually at the junction of the Soar & T&M) and then waiting for 'company' to help.

The Soar was desperateley quiet mid week (think we passed 2 moving boats in 4 days) so if you are waiting at a lock for assistance it could be a long wait.

O - and on the Soar open the ground paddles first, then when the water level is up to the gate paddles you can open the gate paddles. The gate paddles do cause a "bit of a rush" of water if opened first.

This thread makes me smile, over an over again. First, she gets her boat. Then to see everyone being so helpful. There's hope for humanity after all :-)

Plus, I am learning too. By snapping up the tips and experience everyone is sharing.

Hey everyone, thanks for the posting and offers of help!

I was told today that the gas work was finished and the bss, and will be being licenced tomorrow.

I am fighting off the man flu/ what my dr thinks is bronchitis/ aches, pains, snot and asthma, so I am just checking in briefly so you don't all think I'm ignoring you and then medicating and going to bed in the hope of warding it off before I get the boat.

I will be back to make a plan (hopefully less sickly) tomorrow.

/ aches, pains, snot and asthma

Many years ago there was an American hit record called Rocking Pneumonia And The Boogie Woogie Flu/ Your symptoms sound like the follow-up.

Great to hear that things are swinging your way, Starry.

Man flu/ bronchitis persists, but so do I.

bss is done, licence is being got tomorrow.

Boat is defo launching on Thursday!

Weather in Rugby is apparently shite.

Carl is helping me with the basics and to get to Braunston on Thursday.

I am moving onto the boat on Sunday and will be beginning my Epic Journey on Tuesday the 2nd.

At the moment waiting to confirm what route I need to take...

Then I will be officially asking for volunteers.

Ps. I have found the BW form to notify them of the change of ownership.

I cannot find the 'change of details' form to tell them I am changing the name though.

I certainly can't see it on this page... http://www.britishwaterways.co.uk/license-it/choosing-and-buying-a-licence/application-forms-and-other-useful-downloads

Am I blind or is it somewhere else?!

Good progress, Starry. Alas Mrs. Athy and I shall be out of the country, in Spain, at the time of your Epic Voyage - you see the lengths which some people will go to to avoid volunteering as crew?

Can't get that blasted Rockin' Pmeumonia song out of my head now. Ir's all your fault. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Mike