perkins 4107

nickc

Featured Posts

what is causing my engine to have diesel in the sump ive changed the lift pump and also the injector pump as we thought these were the problem but still i have diesel in oil and smoking blue smoke plus unburnt diesel causing an oil slick to follow 3 days of our holiday lost while we waited for these things to give us a result but still not cured please help!! engine has only just be rebuilt at a cost!!were losing all hope of ever enjoying our boat if any one wants to give us a narrow boat in exchange for our cruiser ill be eternally gratefull yours faithfully nick.

You've done the obvious, and you can't rule out that either pump that you have replaced is also faulty, but it is unlikely.

Perhaps total comperession loss past a piston? No compression would mean any fuel injected would remain unburnt perhaps.

No chance i suppose of the engine being piped up wrong? Injector return being routed to the oil filter perhaps but real clutching at straws there though.

When fuel containing bio-diesel was introduced it was stated that there was a risk to engine seals, particularly with older engines. I know of at least one hire firm that has had a similar problem (though not with Perkins engines) they overcame the problem by stripping down the engine and replacing all the oil seals.

You need to get a diesel mech out to look at it.It should not take long to diagnose.

Was the engine running on all 4 cylinders and not 3 or 2 whilst this was happening? If not running on all 4,the cylinders not working could have severely dribbling injectors ''incombustible'',dribbling neat diesel into the combustion chambers instead of a fine spray.

I repeat, please don't try running this engine until its sorted,you could destroy it. bizzard

has the perkins 4.107 got a lucas flamestat fitted,the cold start device which heats and vaporises diesel fuel,which is then drawn into the air intake when starting?

if the inlet tube on the flamestat is lower than the level of fuel in the the main diesel tank,it could be siphoning and dribbling through the check valve.

the check valve (just a ball and spring)could be weeping when the engine is running.

what colour is the smoke?

has the perkins 4.107 got a lucas flamestat fitted,the cold start device which heats and vaporises diesel fuel,which is then drawn into the air intake when starting?

if the inlet tube on the flamestat is lower than the level of fuel in the the main diesel tank,it could be siphoning and dribbling through the check valve.

the check valve (just a ball and spring)could be weeping when the engine is running.

what colour is the smoke?

Blue - that's oil.

This story is getting worse by the mail.

At least two sources, dibble past the valves due to problems with valve stems or oil seals; blow-by up the cylinder bores past the rings.

Sometimes the latter may be a "feature" until the rings and bores have become honed to each other, but this normally lasts for a limited period of time and gradually gets better.

as bob says blue smoke is oil being burnt

as is said before if fuel is not getting into the sump vie the injector pump or lift pump,then it can ONLY be through the cold start,i have seen these devices leak before

the vehicle type was often fed from a seperate reservoir of about 5oo mls of fuel.

when this coldstart is used in narrowboats it may have the head and volume of 40 or so gallons of fuel ABOVE it,if the spring in the coldstart has weakenedmor even a small piece of grit has got under the valve seat ,it could easily allow 3 LITRES IN 3 HOURS!

i have installed electric shutoffs in these systems before.

i see your locality is epsom,assume that you mean epsom surrey?

i am willing to assist for free,i live in windsor.

PM me for more info.

Experience tells us that the 4-108 is particularly susceptable to a cracked cylinder head. Often this is not too bad an I have known one with a cracked head running (mostly) satisfactorily for years. It all depends on the degree. It follows that if it is too bad then the only solution is a replacement head. Unless the refurbisher crack-tested the head he may not have noticed.

as is said before if fuel is not getting into the sump vie the injector pump or lift pump,then it can ONLY be through the cold start,i have seen these devices leak before

the vehicle type was often fed from a seperate reservoir of about 5oo mls of fuel.

when this coldstart is used in narrowboats it may have the head and volume of 40 or so gallons of fuel ABOVE it,if the spring in the coldstart has weakenedmor even a small piece of grit has got under the valve seat ,it could easily allow 3 LITRES IN 3 HOURS!

PM me for more info.

PM me for more info.

thanks for your generous offer we cant believe there are so many helpfull people im sorry that this reply is long in coming but only have internet access at work but hoping things will change soon the guy who did the original build has taken the injector pump and will get a report on that but as far as the lift pump goes i cant get to the boat for 2 weeks so i will have to see ive never even thought of the cold start but have that know in my amunition to fire at him if both pumps still leak i might get him to check it any how as the engine is still under warranty thanks again for kind offer ill place a hope full report on findings as to this problem but thanks again.

nick and lyn