perkins engine

colin loach

Featured Posts

Hi,On a Perkins,there are only two places fuel can enter the sump. Diesel can enter the engine through a split or faulty diaphragm in the lift pump and a faulty seal on the drive end of the injector pump or crack.

Remove lift pump first,my guess is the diaphragm due to the quantity of leakage.As the fuel is gravity fed you may find that the oil level will rise even if the engine is not running,if so definate lift pump diaphragm or flaw in body.Place finger in engine side of lift pump and taste,unpleasant but diesel is distinctively different to engine oil!. Despite fitting new or recon units,both seal on inj pump and diaphragm in lift pump are easily fitted incorrectly.

Hope this helps.

Thanks very much for your help. The 4107 cost £2500 to be reconditioned and runs like a pig blowing out diesel onto the water and blue smoke and sounds like a bag of spanners.

If you get too much fuel in your sump it can do really nasty things like hydraulicing,revving uncontrollably and blowing up.

not sure what you meen, but dont sound good.

He means that the engine oil will find its way into the combustion chamber and start to combust - you will have no control over it, until it revs itself to destruction.

I saw it once when a jet engined dragster started burning its gearbox oil.

Alex

This is what can happen. Scary or what only way to save engine is to block the air intake. If one of your injectors is faulty it may pour diesel onto the piston instead of vapour spray the diesel will not burn and will seep down past the piston rings into the sump. Did you buy the engine as reconditioned or pay to have it done either way you may have a claim for not fit for purpose.

This is what can happen. Scary or what only way to save engine is to block the air intake. If one of your injectors is faulty it may pour diesel onto the piston instead of vapour spray the diesel will not burn and will seep down past the piston rings into the sump. Did you buy the engine as reconditioned or pay to have it done either way you may have a claim for not fit for purpose.

That engine looked like it had started up in the wrong direction. Drawing air through the exhaust and exhausting through the air intake, which would also put the governor out of action.

The Land Rover wasn't started in the wrong direction, it didn't stop when the key was turned off - the driver legged it, someone else popped the bonnet to see if they could bung up the intake, they couldn't and legged it. The smoke is hot engine oil vapour spewing from every orifice, including the crankcase breathers which were blown off. They were very lucky as its not unknown for the oil vapour to be set on fire outside the engine...

Be afraid, be very afraid, be very very afraid - if the engine bursts you can have some big lumps moving in random directions at high speed

Hi Colin

Has your recon 4.107 got any warranty with the rebuilder?, if it has,I would get there asses down to your engine room to witness the quality of their workmanship.

I have a 4.108 in my boat that was rebuilt in 1989 and it runs like a clock,I have just treated her to new injector atomisers(£64.00) to eliminate slight diesel smoke on idle.The only difference in a 4.107 to an 4.108 is that the 4.107 had wet piston liners as opposed to dry in the 4.108.Keep a strong antifreeze mix in it and all is ok.

If you have not got a detailed breakdown of the parts used to rebuild your engine,try to get one,it would make interesting reading.For £2500 in parts and labour assuming your engine block and cylinder head was ok,you could recon two engines easily,I would stick my neck out here and say even by using genuine Perkins engine parts.(look up- parts4engines.com,they give prices for many OE and non genuine perkins parts,I use them and they are superb for quality, price and speed of delivery.

Until you sort the problems out,dont run or rev engine if levels in sump are high as the engine could destroy itself!!

Good Luck

Geoff

i posted this advice last night,but it is not there now.

the 3rd way that fuel can get into your sump is via the cold start device.

the 4107 or 4108 usually has a lucas flamestat device fitted above the air intake

when the ignition key is turned to the preheat position,a small amount of fuel is vapourised by a 12 volt heating coil

this vapour is drawn in to the intake manifold when the engine is cranked over.

assuming you have the engine installed in a narrowboat,the cold start device could be below the normal fuel level in the boat's main tank.

it is most likely that the check valve in the coldstart device is allowing fuel to weep into the inlet manifold and running into at least one or more cylinders.

PM me if you would like more info.

Good thought on the flame start,but it would if faulty take more than 3 hrs to fill sump with 3 litres,something like2 weeks,mine has a seperate reservoir with a tap on it as a fail safe,I have checked mine a few months ago and with tap on and flame start is cold,no fuel leaks out.The MK1 Ford Transit used this engine and the flame start had no tap but ran from a type of float chamber that ensured the fuel supply to the plug was gravity fed and I used to service many of these and never came across any catastrophic failures to this system. The early Ford York diesel also used this start system on the Trensits.We used to fit an extra flame start plug in the manifold as these were sometimes bitches to start in Winter!.With good batteries,I never failed to start a 4.108,even in the winter of '76!!

it filled the engine bay with 12litres of oil/diesel mix first time ive given her 3 oil changes and monitor her running for 3 quarters of an hr at a time hence catching her early and reporting it again to mechanic i will say all he wants for us is a smooth running engine so again off to be repaired hope fully with all the advice ive gained from this site and you guys and gals ill have some luck

• 1 month later...

thanks to you all after all the trouble i had with the 4108 with diesel constantly filling up the sump.

this was resolved with the advice i gained from all your response we fitted a new lift pump and also a new injector pump

the differance in engine noise and quality was like climbing onto a new boat no more shouting and the boat seems calmer almost tranquil

so heres a big hearty thanks especially to colin and jill for puting us in touch with a very helpfull site from us to all who read this

thanks for your help and kind offers of free fitting of lift pump etc its nice to no the boating world has like minded people.

nick lyn and claymore

• 4 years later...