Tooway 10mb

14skipper

Featured Posts

went all the way to taking through to cc details so not sure.

Mind you at £427 for a router/modem and self install perhaps its just as well it run out !

14skipper

We have never had any problems with 3, we use the mifi router thingy and have never had any problems with coverage. I am not saying the coverage will be perfect everywhere, but up here in Yorks/Lancs we have had no problems this summer at all. So maybe you could try this first, it is certainly a lot cheaper than the other one!!

Not used them or heard of them but I see the offer ran out 6 months ago and the web has not been updated.

Edit: just found another My link, you must really want it to pay that much. :cheers:

Does seem a lot of money. But I suppose if you get a good connection every time no matter where you are , and you depend on the internet for business I suppose it worth it, but I think I will wait till someone has tried for a year before I rush out and sign up.

Does seem a lot of money. But I suppose if you get a good connection every time no matter where you are , and you depend on the internet for business I suppose it worth it, but I think I will wait till someone has tried for a year before I rush out and sign up.

Doesn't seem a lot of money, compared to what my friend used to pay for one-way satellite broadband in Wales a few years ago, but.... will it work in a mobile situation?

I'll second the 3 Mifi solution. £19 per month for 15Gb on a 24 month contract.

There shouldn't be too many canals where you can't get a signal with 3.

If mobile broadband definitely doesn't work for you, perhaps satellite is the only option. If so, £25 for 4 Gb per month isn't a massive price to pay compared to landline broadband of only a few years ago.

Sounds cheap for satellite derived broadband.

One thing you have to be aware of though. Is there enough redundancy in the backhaul feeding the system to allow their bandwidth claims to continue to be achieved once loaded up with new customers.

I used their previous 2mb service upto about 6 months ago, because we couldn't get ADSL on the land line. (13Km from BT exchange !!) - satellite was only option as we couldnt get a 3g mobile service either....

I doubt it would be suitable for canal boat use as the dish was quite big (think it was 0.8M) and had to be aligned carefully to pick up the satellite. once it was working it was ok, and we only stopped using it becuase we managed to get an ADSL2 conenction eventually which gave slightly more bandwidth but was much cheaper.

so I'd check the size of dish required and make sure your'e happy to fiddle about if your on the move.

jon

I've used satellite broadband before, from BT and Aramiska and both connections were awful. It was 9 years ago but the basic problem was the latency which afaik is unavoidable due to the sheer distances involved.

its more about lining up with the right satellite and configuring the equipment, guess if you had a compass wouldn't take too long, as we had some other issues and only did it the once it took us quite a while to get it working properly. At least one high street supermarket uses Satellite to get stores open quickly, whilst they are waiting for landline services and move about a dozen sets of equipment round the country as needed, but thats done by professional installers so its doesn't take them long. no doubt practice will make perfect !

The other post is quite right the bandwidth is more limited compared to broadband these days and the fact you have to bounce the signal off a satellite 20,000 miles away means there is a latency. so you would find skype pretty useless for instance.