g.u wideboat progress

chris collins

Featured Posts

• 1 year later...

Has anyone visited lately and seen Progress?

I had planned to go to the Rickmansworth Festival, and while there have a look at "Progress" and maybe meet Chris.

But sadly enough I didn't manage to go there, so no luck and no photos to share.

It's still on my list to go there, but probably not before next year now.

Hope that Chris will come back with an update soon.

Peter.

The wherry Albion was Hogged and they straightened her a couple of years back see here

Canberra hogged. The mean of the fore and aft draughts was greater than the load line certificate allowed so the draughts amidships were taken into account or, if you could get to see the draught marks then consultation with the chief officer would determine the correct fiddle factor. She had those great big turbo electric engines in the stern plus boilers.

Nick

• 1 month later...

I've been trying to get some time to put the last couple of planks in since Christmas and it has finally happened. Time for a bit of celebration.

post-14482-0-49353100-1474921208_thumb.jpg

post-14482-0-75417700-1474921227_thumb.jpg

post-14482-0-21196100-1474921249_thumb.jpg

post-14482-0-81069900-1474921272_thumb.jpg

Just leaves, the shearing, iron frames, stern wooden frames, engine beds, fore end deck beams, compass pieces lower breasthook, deck, breasthook, cants, coaming, winch, bollards, hatch, side decks, coamings, hatch boards, stern deck bearers, stern deck, coaming, sterngear, rudder, steering gear, diesel tanks, engine, water cooling pipes/mudbox, cabin, miscellaneous navigation lights, rubbing bands, stem iron and anything else that I have forgotten. Not holding my breathe.

• Greenie 1

I've been trying to get some time to put the last couple of planks in since Christmas and it has finally happened. Time for a bit of celebration.

attachicon.gifSPA50347.jpg

Just leaves, the shearing, iron frames, stern wooden frames, engine beds, fore end deck beams, compass pieces lower breasthook, deck, breasthook, cants, coaming, winch, bollards, hatch, side decks, coamings, hatch boards, stern deck bearers, stern deck, coaming, sterngear, rudder, steering gear, diesel tanks, engine, water cooling pipes/mudbox, cabin, miscellaneous navigation lights, rubbing bands, stem iron and anything else that I have forgotten. Not holding my breathe.

It's looking great Chris. It'll soon be at the stage that Di and I can move back into it rolleyes.gif

Tam

Hi Chris, glad you managed to find the time to show us all some more of the excellent work you're doing on "Progress".

The stage she's in now certainly deserves more than only a bit of celebration.

Looking forward to see the next step of her rebuild.

Good luck with it.

Peter.

• 3 years later...

Its inspirational work that Chris has done, but I can't help thinking a time gap like that is rather worrying.

There is a boatbuilder called Chris Collins (possibly of South African extraction) on the South Coast doing sea-going stuff , so perhaps he's had a change of direction.

Edited by jake_crew

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 22/09/2011 at 17:36, David Mack said:

Some of the Fulbourne crew tell me this was not done on the GU wartime livery, and so we haven't done it. I'm minded to print out copies of the missing letters on fridge magnet paper so I can make removable ones.

I note that on Sculptor and some other boats in this livery, the whole name is written beyond the open position of the doors to avoid the issue.

David

Recently discovered film showing that (in 1947)  the lettering Fulbourne was not written on the inside of the doors!

Edited by Tim Lewis