Honda running a washing machine

Rustykev

Featured Posts

Simple question (no doubt, unsimple reply!!)

Will a 2kw Honda suitcase run washing machines rated at 2.150kw?

I have had a look on past topics and missed/not seen suitable response.

I know that its the heating of the water that is an issue, but given most programs these days are 30/40 degree fills etc, and we discipline outselves to save the whites boil wash until on shore power, then would we be OK,

Befroe you ask, battery power via the inverter is not an option.

Interestingly, when I spoke to Indesit, they do not recommend their machines are used on generators because of the delicate electronics!

I think the simple answer is no...

IIRC the max continuous rating of a 2kW Honda is 1.6kW.

Irrespective of setting it for a cool wash, the heater element will still draw the same current. It's just that it's on for a shorter period of time to achieve 30/40 deg, rather than 60 deg.

If it has a twin element heater (some have 2 x 1kW elements), you might be able to disconnect one of the elements without upsetting the controller. That may bring the power consumption down to below the rating for the genny.

The output wave form from a EU20i should not upset the machines electronics. It's probably better than some mains supplies

I think the simple answer is no...

IIRC the max continuous rating of a 2kW Honda is 1.6kW.

Irrespective of setting it for a cool wash, the heater element will still draw the same current. It's just that it's on for a shorter period of time to achieve 30/40 deg, rather than 60 deg.

If it has a twin element heater (some have 2 x 1kW elements), you might be able to disconnect one of the elements without upsetting the controller. That may bring the power consumption down to below the rating for the genny.

The output wave form from a EU20i should not upset the machines electronics. It's probably better than some mains supplies

Add that the power factor for the machine will give a lower effective generator output than the numbers imply.

Add that the power factor for the machine will give a lower effective generator output than the numbers imply.

Dismiss them altogether with their hi-tec electronic power problems,apart from the simple ones with no water heating element and no hi-tec electronics, use the launderette and give yourself much needed extra storage space.

• Greenie 1

I'd say forget the idea, I doubt any modern machine would work ..... unless there are others that know different from first hand experience.

Loads of people have modern washing machines on boats, with modern style electronic controllers. Running them via an inverter needs a bloody big inverter and an even bigger battery bank to avoid bolloxing the batteries. I would say that the vast najority run via a gnnerator or 240v alternator (same thing really).

My folks have one and have the heater element disconnected. Hot water is via the hot fill from the calorifier. They only use the washing machine when cruising (plenty of hot water from the engine) and have a 240v alternator fitted to the engine.

Guest Quo Vadis

Loads of people have modern washing machines on boats, with modern style electronic controllers. Running them via an inverter needs a bloody big inverter and an even bigger battery bank to avoid bolloxing the batteries. I would say that the vast najority run via a gnnerator or 240v alternator (same thing really).

My folks have one and have the heater element disconnected. Hot water is via the hot fill from the calorifier. They only use the washing machine when cruising (plenty of hot water from the engine) and have a 240v alternator fitted to the engine.

Most modern automatic machines do a self test on start-up, if you disconnect the heater, they will just show a fault and refuse to start.

i have a CANDY ECLYPSA which is now 10 years old

it has a cold and hot water inlet

i disconnected the heating element the day it was installed on the boat

it gets hot water directly from the boats calorifier.

when it is worn out it will probably be replaced by a HARRIS twintub.

the twintub only uses 360 WATTS in wash mode and even less in spin mode

Simple question (no doubt, unsimple reply!!)

Will a 2kw Honda suitcase run washing machines rated at 2.150kw?

I have had a look on past topics and missed/not seen suitable response.

I know that its the heating of the water that is an issue, but given most programs these days are 30/40 degree fills etc, and we discipline outselves to save the whites boil wash until on shore power, then would we be OK,

Befroe you ask, battery power via the inverter is not an option.

Interestingly, when I spoke to Indesit, they do not recommend their machines are used on generators because of the delicate electronics!

NO !! Unless you cheat.

We have an Lg direct drive 7kg washing machine on boad the thing is it is hot or cold fill but even then it will bring the heaters on and crucify the gennie but this model has a cold wash button. All we do is set it to cold wash and put hot water in from the tap and close the door and job done. It uses very little power for the washing and spinning bit so if you did that even a 1kw gennie would run it :D

Interestingly, when I spoke to Indesit,

Talk to any company they will tell you the same, especially if their equipment has electronic controls.

I had the same problem when my boat was built, so contacted the electricity supply company for my house for the 'standards' they have to comply with, I also contacted my generator manufacturer as to the limits their generator s run to.

Guess what the generator supplied guaranteed 'cleaner' more controlled electrcity than the mains.

For electronics you need 'pure sine wave', some electronics will run on 'modified' sine wave' but you cannot be sure.

I have a Candy Aquamatic - the small one - that i run from an 1800w inverter but it has a cold wash function and i give it a mix like a lot of people seem to do. I can run it from my gen and shorepower if i need to. Candys seem more tolerant of waveform it seems...

I had bought a Zanussi - again the small one - and it would not work from my Vetus gen because of the scruffy waveform. If i remember Blackrose had the same washer and experienced trouble with it even when he ran it off his Honda despite the claims of clean output.

As i have found from costly experience if you can power a friends washer and see what happens it will save you a lot of hassle. The suppliers are not so keen to have back a "used" washer...beware.

My wife has obviously got things perfected. She washes for 6 people, and hardly seems to need hot water at all. (occassionally). We've been going at it (washing clothes that is), for months, and right now I'm wearing a pair of jeans and a shirt which are clean, and the cupboard is full of clean clothes. The washer uses 600watts (twin tub top loader) and runs off a normal invertor.

I'd say forget the idea, I doubt any modern machine would work ..... unless there are others that know different from first hand experience.

Yes, I run my Zanussi ZWC1300C from my Honda generator. This machine draws 1600w.

Dismiss them altogether with their hi-tec electronic power problems,apart from the simple ones with no water heating element and no hi-tec electronics, use the launderette and give yourself much needed extra storage space.

My machine is hi-tec electronic and I manage to run it from my generator. I don't need storage space and after 6 years of wasting time and money at the laundrette I found that putting in a washing machine was one of the best things I'd installed on the boat.

Edited by blackrose

We have the small candy and it runs off the eu20 just fine as long as I am also power something else off of it (charger normally). For some reason it doesn't start the wash program if nowt else is on.(?) can turn the charger of once it gets going before the heating element comes on.

Regarding manufacturers advising against using generators, I was under the impression that the eu Hondas produced a more stable wave than the national grid could. ( think I read it on here).

Hi all.

Newbie question if i may. I take it if you have a domestic washer plumbed in, it will empty the water into a grey holding tank, or does it just go out the side?

and what is the average water consumption / waste please?

As i am drawing my fit out on paper i have gone for a Grey tank tank a black tank, i hope to use the grey for flushing the loo.

cheers

Smudge

Im watching this thread with interst as i have a hotpoint aquarius washer drier mainly for shoreline use.It would be nice to get it working while out on hols etc even on just cold wash function .I have put the washer on our usual wash drier programme via a power consumtion meter(from argos) and it only draws 1800wtts max,and only then very briefly before returning to 100/300 wtts so assume most modern washers use similar power usage.Any way i am tempted to buy a honda 2.0i if i am confident it would work ok

If you know anyone local to you with a eu20 it wouldbe sensible to try first. Remember, an eu20 runs at 1600, peaks at 2000.

I also have a compact tumble which will run on an eu20 but it is at it's limit ( have to turn off the 30 amp charger ). I actually use two eu20s linked together with Hondas connection lead when doing the laundry, I'm not thrashing them and it's a lot better on the ears! (also cheaper than the next model up, easier to shiftand potential more power if ever needed)

Regarding waste water from the washer, just a skin fitting to the outside world in the uk. If you're that worried about detergents, use Eco friendly powders/tablets. ( get a cassette toilet, more pratical than a pump/holding tank set up).

Regarding waste water from the washer, just a skin fitting to the outside world in the uk. If you're that worried about detergents, use Eco friendly powders/tablets. ( get a cassette toilet, more pratical than a pump/holding tank set up).

I think the Eco stuff uses detergent too. However, it doesn't include phosphates (according to the last label I looked at). Fertiliser, however, does tend to contain phosphates, so a few phosphates in your wash is probably a drop in the ocean compared to what Farmer Giles is putting in the canal.

And anyway, nitrates are worse.