Vetus150- 55 Bow-Thruster problem

rgreg

Featured Posts

Can anybody advise on a problem with a Vetus Bow-thruster (150-55) that has suddenly stopped working. The battery is brand new and voltage checked so not an issue. When the switch is operated there is quite a loud "click" from the thruster but no movement. Any ideas?

Can anybody advise on a problem with a Vetus Bow-thruster (150-55) that has suddenly stopped working. The battery is brand new and voltage checked so not an issue. When the switch is operated there is quite a loud "click" from the thruster but no movement. Any ideas?

Will the motor turn freely by hand? If not then more than likely something is trapped in the prop.If it does turn freely then it is likely to be an electrical problem. The load click you hear is the contactor operating. Have you checked the 250amp slow blow fuse that is connected between the battery and the motor? If that is ok then suspect the motor brushes, clean them, check all the connections and make sure they are free to move inside the brush boxes. tosher.

I had similar problems which were resolved by fitting new contacts in the relay fixed to the thruster, available at reasonable price from Allbright International (not from Vetus!!).

The problem originally arose because I didn't have 12V at the contactor under load, so the contact was intermittent, resulting in the contact faces burning out.

I fitted a slave battery next to the thruster, all working fine now.