Fake ltd company sign writing

onionbargee

Featured Posts

Reproducing replica sign writing for companies such as "T&S Element", Fellows, Morton & Clayton Ltd", Grand Union Canal Carrying Co Ltd" should be discouraged on brand new boats. All the above have appeared on new boats and this only serves to confuse newer enthusiasts into thinking they are the genuine article. I guess the only exception could be if one had a family link with the firms stated which in most cases is unlikely. FMC Ltd exists today as a privately owned company who I doubt would be impressed with the name being on new boats it doesnt own.

Very fair comment I think, and I would agree with that. But the thread title and OP is referring to "fake" or fictional" names, and the impact of using those. I think that is a very different matter.

what is it with people sign writing fictional ltd company names on their boats, or implying they are canal carriers or tugs, it just makes waterway buisneses look a joke, and the owners look like posh twits.

STOP IT

Live and let live, each to their own and all that :cheers:

I was told (and there is at least one other forum member who has direct knowledge of this so could provide more accurate details) that in the seventies (sixties?) BW were very shirty about anyone painting British Waterways on their restored, ex-BW owned boats, and even laid claim to the rights over the GUCCCo name.

I kind of agree with Laurence that new boats shouldn't be faked up to look like old ones, but the importance of the freedom to paint your boat however you like probably overrides the danger of misleading people, in my view. There is a narrow margin of people who might be misled, somewhere between those at either end of the scale who couldn't tell an old boat from a new one regardless of how it was painted and couldn't care either, and those who can tell a Woolwich rivet from a Northwich rivet - and anyone who's genuinely interested will end up in the latter camp sooner or later, maybe chuckling quietly to themselves about their earlier naivety. Finally, a really well built replica boat is a joy in itself and it would be a shame to stop short at the paint job.

We had Warrior painted 'steerage and towage' and in a case of life imitating art, almost immediately got roped in (sorry) to tow someone. And the same thing has just happened again to Warrior's new owners.

Then of course there's Pickford's who started off as canal carriers. Do any more of those old carrying companies still excist?

Without wishing to be pedantic, Pickfords were in the carrying business before the canal age. Operating Pack Horses, and carting.

Reproducing replica sign writing for companies such as "T&S Element", Fellows, Morton & Clayton Ltd", Grand Union Canal Carrying Co Ltd" should be discouraged on brand new boats. All the above have appeared on new boats and this only serves to confuse newer enthusiasts into thinking they are the genuine article. I guess the only exception could be if one had a family link with the firms stated which in most cases is unlikely. FMC Ltd exists today as a privately owned company who I doubt would be impressed with the name being on new boats it doesnt own.

Did they actually PAY the owners of the FM&C name when they incorporated in 1986?

You,ve gotta know your tripe in this game. :lol:

Who will join me in a dish of tripe? It soothes, appeases the anger of the outraged, stills the fear of death, and reminds us of tripe eaten in former days, when there was always a half-filled pot of it on the stove.

I was told (and there is at least one other forum member who has direct knowledge of this so could provide more accurate details) that in the seventies (sixties?) BW were very shirty about anyone painting British Waterways on their restored, ex-BW owned boats, and even laid claim to the rights over the GUCCCo name.

Which is presumably why there used to be a number of ex-working boats painted blue and yellow carrying the name "Britain's Waterways".

David

what is it with people sign writing fictional ltd company names on their boats, or implying they are canal carriers or tugs, it just makes waterway buisneses look a joke, and the owners look like posh twits.

STOP IT

because they think they can jump the queue at locks as its a working boat!!

Saw a boat at Braunston recently with a couple of Dachshunds aboard, very nice modern boat with an engine room and, I suspect, a back cabin to boot. The livery was for the "Dachshund Carrying Co." Made us smile, hurt nobody. What's the problem?

We may well buy an older boat at some point, but if we don't find the right one, or a modern repro comes along first, we will buy something new, with an engine room and a back cabin. It won't get painted in FMC colours or anything like that, it probably won't have a "Carrying Co." name on it, but we will paint it traditionally, and anybody who knows anything about boats will know it's not an old one, but hopefully will appreciate it for what it is, rather than what it isn't. People who don't know about boats will hopefully just think it looks nice. They won't know if it's old or new, or what the difference is, and they probably won't care.

Each to their own - I love to see a modern boat executed in traditional style, I love to see older boats well maintained and I like to see people enjoying their boats and loving them for what they are.

Edited by DickBrowne

But there is also hot pot, Thwaites' Ales, Freddie Flintoff and the Burnley Blues Festival!

Saw that Dachshund Boat at Banbury recently. The sausage dogs were stroppy and the crew were not much better: they were incensed at being the fifth boat in the queue for the lift bridge.

Hi all

As a boater for almost 50 years and someone who earns a living decrating and signwriting boats, I thought I'd comment on this.

Alright...I'm a self confessed traditionalist. As a teenager, the sense of history and heritage drew me to the cut and early experiences with enthusiasts and working boaters in traditional working boats set a mould unbroken today.

I see little harm in replicating an historic livery on an authentic boat. Some of these are jobs I enjoy most. Similarly, a trad style livery on a modern trad stlye boat has a rightness that turns heads...simply, the owner proclaiming pride of ownership. Much of my work is within this field and many of the craft are in the upper end of the price bracket.

More prosaicallly, there are coach painters repainting older and less costly craft. I work on these too - hopefully with style and grace but without the fussiness that sometimes adorns them. To me it's sbout adding a livery that fits the character of the boat itself. Some of the liveries are deplorable....the latest, which passed me while I was working was a shabby tub with the legend R. SWIPE in vinyl letters on the cabin side. I expect to see worse in future.

AS a painter, I strive to maintain an older tradition, as to others of my ilk. I remain unapologetic for this. Wine glass clutching frogs dancing down cabin sides are an anathema to me and I won't do them. Sorry!

Dave

Edited by dave moore

My favourite is

'Les Cargo' carrying company.

Who gives a monkeys what is painted on the side of somebody else;s boat, if you are so anal about such stuff OB worry about what is painted on yours and less about what is on others.

Apparently Chance & Hunt, the Black country carriers on whose livery the colour scheme of my boat is based, still exist too.

Chance & Hunt Ltd. were in fact a bulk chemical manufacturer, being formed on 23 March 1898 following the amalgamation of the Oldbury Alkali Company and W. Hunt & Sons (both of whom were narrow boat operators so it is only natural that C. & H. Ltd. continued with this mode of transport) although their combined history goes back much further. Chance & Hunt Ltd. were effectively taken over by Brunner Mond & Co. in 1917 and were absorbed into the newly formed Imperial Chemical Company Ltd. (I.C.I.) in 1926. Following a management takeover in April 1999 the Chance & Hunt Ltd. name was re-established in the bulk chemical market.

Edited by pete harrison

My favourite is

'Les Cargo' carrying company.

Who gives a monkeys what is painted on the side of somebody else;s boat, if you are so anal about such stuff OB worry about what is painted on yours and less about what is on others.

I like "Bodgit & Scarper" ---- "Mobile marine Engineers"