stripping down DM3's

Strads

Featured Posts

HI,

any one wit "actual" knowledge/experience" of this that could chare a few comments on the issues/challenges would be appreciated.

thanks john

(dm2 is usefull but not quite the same)

I will bring this to PBs attention, as long as National experience would be helpful.He didn't do it himself but might have picked up some info in the course of watching the rebuild.

HI,

any one wit "actual" knowledge/experience" of this that could chare a few comments on the issues/challenges would be appreciated.

thanks john

(dm2 is usefull but not quite the same)

what do you need to know?

Given that they are the only things I didn't strip on my DM2 I might not be useful

Tim Leech may be the one to give more detailed information.

I know that Strads has an RN DM3 but I've no idea of the gearbox type

He's gone very quiet!

Usually the National flywheel is mounted on a flange, the RN on a taper, but it's not 100% fixed rule for Nationals so just a chance it's also not for RNs.

Probably on a taper, if it's a Bruntons box the ahead female cone is also on a taper on the crankshaft.

Timing gear is a pain to deal with on both engines, but the rest is quite straightforward.

Tim

• 2 months later...

He's gone very quiet!

Usually the National flywheel is mounted on a flange, the RN on a taper, but it's not 100% fixed rule for Nationals so just a chance it's also not for RNs.

Probably on a taper, if it's a Bruntons box the ahead female cone is also on a taper on the crankshaft.

Timing gear is a pain to deal with on both engines, but the rest is quite straightforward.

Tim

Tim / PJ / sarah.

Thanks - I have been quiet - lack of work/PC access !!

back on line now... and I have today manage dto finish stripping the engine

a few challenges and the weight of some components have been hard to manage in a engine room,, the fly wheel is 140 kgs.. gearvox more.. no sign of any thing serious, so maybe it can start going back together in a week or so after a check at RN of teh main bearings etc.

I will try and take some pictures shortly to show/record the struggle..

The commentss re the taper for the flywheel were helpful... but needed a tool from the factory to creck the taper fit.

also needed a 1.2 m scafold pole on the nut to crack that beast... broke 2 pieces of 10x7cm blocksof wood to counter that force...

oh the joys,,,,

• 1 year later...

Well its been a while - a long one, but last Friday we (Wife & I) got the dm3 fired up,.. (twice,,) for a few minutes..

a few fuel cam/injector timing points to sort, which was down on sunday with help from Jamie (ex RN Daventry) who helped check and sort a few turns and squeeks with the fly wheel to get the timing improved..

End result was a short trip to Ricky yesterday to check she is ok.

Most things ok, but drinking fuel a bit too much so some further fine tuning needed, but we are "mobile" under our own power again...

the smiles in the sun yesterday we exchanged were long and wide, like the beers drunk last night to celebrate..

cheers

Well its been a while - a long one, but last Friday we (Wife & I) got the dm3 fired up,.. (twice,,) for a few minutes..

a few fuel cam/injector timing points to sort, which was down on sunday with help from Jamie (ex RN Daventry) who helped check and sort a few turns and squeeks with the fly wheel to get the timing improved..

End result was a short trip to Ricky yesterday to check she is ok.

Most things ok, but drinking fuel a bit too much so some further fine tuning needed, but we are "mobile" under our own power again...

the smiles in the sun yesterday we exchanged were long and wide, like the beers drunk last night to celebrate..

cheers

Well done to both of you. I was going to phone tomorrow to see if you needed a tow to Ricky. See you at the weekend. Jack

• 3 weeks later...

And as those who saw us at Ricky know, the bloody fuel timing slipped....

eliminated the injector pump by getting that checked at the factory (thanks Jamie)

eliminated the woodruff key being missing by stripping the engines back down at ricky on saturday and rebuilding on sunday,,

Got her re started last weekend but the fuel cam timing still needs atweek, but at least we are running,, thanks to my grease monkey, mary for her help,,,

ah the joys of a vintage lump