Best pump for water

real_vibes

Featured Posts

Ps it's dying a death as water is coming out in fits and bursts. This means the morco is thrown out of kilter and showers go hot and cold.

We do have a small

Tank thing to maintain pressure, could that need replacing too?

Read the label on the old pump. Possibly Surflow.

Buy online from Midland chandlers. The tank is probably an accumulator. bizzard

We had a Johnson pump when the boat was new in 2005.

It never gave tremendous pressure and over the last 6 years gave more of the symptoms descibed in the 1st 2 posts. I gave up on it when, in order to keep the shower running for my wife, I had to lay under the fore-deck whacking the pump with a stick every time it stopped!

I've now replaced it with a jabsco-par-max-2.9. £65 from our local chandler and probably a bit cheaper on line. It has the same fittings as the Johnson so I was able to swap them in just 10 minutes

Improvement in performance was dramatic, much higher pressure and no stops and starts.

Strongly recommended

david

Ps it's dying a death as water is coming out in fits and bursts. This means the morco is thrown out of kilter and showers go hot and cold.

We do have a small

Tank thing to maintain pressure, could that need replacing too?

Hi

If the pump is duff I suggest a jabsco par max 1. They are dead easy to fit very reliable and cheap.

We had a Johnson pump when the boat was new in 2005.

It never gave tremendous pressure and over the last 6 years gave more of the symptoms descibed in the 1st 2 posts. I gave up on it when, in order to keep the shower running for my wife, I had to lay under the fore-deck whacking the pump with a stick every time it stopped!

I've now replaced it with a jabsco-par-max-2.9. £65 from our local chandler and probably a bit cheaper on line. It has the same fittings as the Johnson so I was able to swap them in just 10 minutes

Improvement in performance was dramatic, much higher pressure and no stops and starts.

Strongly recommended

david

I agree that jabsco pumps are far better than johnson jobs. I have two par-max-4`s, one on each circuit and set so either one can power both circuit should one fail (In dally use for over ten years and not one has failed)

Firesprite

In the Office

Well there seems to be a real ganging up on Shurflo. I have 2 shurflo's and they have been on the boat since 198?. Dead simple design, never let me down. I'm not saying Jabsco or Johnsons etc are no good, I'm just saying I personally would buy another Shurflo.

As to now being Chinese/Malaysian built, WHAT ISN'T.??

Well there seems to be a real ganging up on Shurflo. I have 2 shurflo's and they have been on the boat since 198?. Dead simple design, never let me down. I'm not saying Jabsco or Johnsons etc are no good, I'm just saying I personally would buy another Shurflo.

As to now being Chinese/Malaysian built, WHAT ISN'T.??

It's down to the fact that Shurflo changed their design a little while ago and basically got it wrong resulting in massive problems and hundreds of returns. This has knocked a lot of peoples confidence in the brand.

I have a Shurflo that has worked well for 5 years but it is very noisy dispite all attempts to muffle the sound.

What have you tried?

Mount it on rubber, wood then rubber again, in a box with sound insulation form. Use flexible hose to connect the pump up.

Edit to add this link... http://www.soundservice.co.uk/enclosure_kits.html

Another edit, do use MDF for the enclosure. It's quite dense so is good for blocking sound.

Edited by Robbo

What have you tried?

Mount it on rubber, wood then rubber again, in a box with sound insulation form. Use flexible hose to connect the pump up.

Another edit, do use MDF for the enclosure. It's quite dense so is good for blocking sound.

It is mounted on a wooden pad with rubber feet between the pad and the wooden floor and it is fixed in the bottom of a cupboard under a false floor. I have tried wrapping it in old towels, bubble wrap and various other things with very little reduction in noise. However I have not tried propper sound insulation foam and the pump is connected to solid plastic pipes not flexibles. Will try as you suggest when next onboard, thanks for the advice. tosher

It is mounted on a wooden pad with rubber feet between the pad and the wooden floor and it is fixed in the bottom of a cupboard under a false floor. I have tried wrapping it in old towels, bubble wrap and various other things with very little reduction in noise. However I have not tried propper sound insulation foam and the pump is connected to solid plastic pipes not flexibles. Will try as you suggest when next onboard, thanks for the advice. tosher

Don't skimp on the thickness of the MDF. A solid enclosure is what's needed. The MDF will bounce the low notes and the foam will absorb the high notes! If the pump is mounted on something heavy (as per that diagram in that link) it will reduce vibrations.

• 6 months later...

What have you tried?

Well I finally got round to doing something about my noisy Shureflow water pump, I bought a new Jabsco pump and installed it as suggested above (except for the box) and the difference is remarkable. It is now almost silent, the trick seems to be multi layers of rubber and the flexible hose connections onto the pump. Thanks again for the help.

I wouldn't have another Jabsco. The pressure switches on these types of pump are a weak point. A replacement for a Jabsco is circa £35.

You can replace a Jonhson switch at maplin for around £1.50.

This I found out when my second Jabsco failed in Tunisia last winter.