Can anyone identify the model

Featured Posts

I bought this a while ago and its been loitering in the back of the van since. Finally got it out today but cant find any identifying marks or numbers. any one familiar with Vintage Thornycroft engines perchance. Thanks in anticipation

IMG_0167.jpg

IMG_0168.jpg

Try emailng them a pic. I find them extremely helpful, even though my engine is not a Thornycroft.

http://www.thornycroftparts.co.uk/

Would this be a Handy Billy?

I am sure it is a proper Thornycroft rather than a marinised job, possibly Ex WD.

Ive done a little research and it doesnt look like any of the "handy billys" on the web but thats not to say I wasnt looking at a variant. It has all the Hallmarks of a bespoke Thornycroft as you say rather than a Conversion of an existing make ie BMC.

Edited by soldthehouse

Ive done a little research and it doesnt look like any of the "handy billys" on the web but thats not to say I wasnt looking at a variant. It has all the Hallmarks of a bespoke Thornycroft as you say rather than a Conversion of an existing make ie BMC.

I have a 1949 Motorboat & Yachting Annual but unfortunately it does not have any pictures of Thornycroft diesel engines. The section Thornycroft petrol engine has several similar characteristics as yours and it does list a Thornycroft 2 cylinder diesel. The data it gives is: 1200 RPM, 18 BHP, 2 cyl, 4" bore 6" stroke and weight of 1400 lbs. It notes that electric starter does not come as standard on this model.

I have a 1949 Motorboat & Yachting Annual but unfortunately it does not have any pictures of Thornycroft diesel engines. The section Thornycroft petrol engine has several similar characteristics as yours and it does list a Thornycroft 2 cylinder diesel. The data it gives is: 1200 RPM, 18 BHP, 2 cyl, 4" bore 6" stroke and weight of 1400 lbs. It notes that electric starter does not come as standard on this model.

More info:-

Posibly RJ/2 as used in Queen Mary's lifeboats

Thanks men for the help so far. I dont normally strip things for the sake of it but this engine is siezed. I dont know the reason, could be very simple but due to current work life balance I,m not geting much time to get my hands dirty so this will be done over a few months as a "Keep me occupied on days off " project as the boat build has halted and the winter is coming.

It would appear to be a long stroke job and when I start I will run a thread if anyone is interested as I would value guidance and input from others.

Anyone with any info would be a great help

Stuart

Thanks Tony and Tim I have found various photos of twin cylinder engines but they all have that long rectangular bed and are petrol with no integrated gearbox... the search continues

• 3 years later...

I was looking over the Queen Mary at Long Beach some years ago and asked the British engineer/guide what engines the lifeboats had - he was highly amused that anyone would want to know- hadn't got a clue. At last I've found out!

Kevin Whittle's book illustrates quite a few Thorneycroft engines, and the one in the OP is very similar to the Handy Billy on page 233, but the gearbox looks significantly smaller. The Handy Billy also seems to be the only one with a central filler and a brass wheel either side. A photo taken of the other side would be helpful as the Thorneycroft engine illustrations in the book all show the gearbox to the left.

• 1 month later...

It seems it is a later version of the RJ2 that I had, while trying to find out about my RJ1 I came across the information on the website shown below, I did,nt want to show the article on this post , I don,t if that's allowed. The magazine it comes from is dated 1958 .

[PDF]Marine engines for Pacific fishermen (I)

www.spc.int/DigitalLibrary/Doc/FAME/InfoBull/.../SPB8_4_Swinfield.pdf

cooled Thornycroft RJD2, new diesel version of an old Pacific favourite, the petrol - paraffin. "Handybilly". Designed to fit the engine bearers of its predecessor ...