What's the catch!

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

Oh I see, I assumed it would be cheaper to fit one out lol!

To be honest I am leaning towards the 'tatty but habitable' Springer route- the more I look, the more I go off GRP boats.

I am even thinking, buy something with the money I have that needs a bit doing (as I know I would be lucky to get anything good to go for my 7k) then have it on a yard somewhere paying hardstanding (cheaply lol) while I get the rest of the work done bit by bit as and when I get the money, even if it means delaying moving on for six months or maybe more.

Better long term, no?

Sigh. I REALLY want to live on a boat. :captain: Still, I've waited ten years so far, I can wait a bit longer, right?

Get your savings up to about 10K, You be able to get yourself a nice little springer, A 28ft one sold here for 9K last week, It was in good condition. This time of year is the best time to buy, Prices tend to be higher in the spring with people looking for a boat for the summer.

Firesprite

Back in Fens after returning from a raid into Haggis Land

There is more to be found in a cow backside, Than in many a textbook. S Farnon 1938

Edited by nbfiresprite

Springer man on ebay wants a BIN price of 12k and has already been offered more than my 7k by a cash buyer so I think I may be out of the running there!

I have told him to keep in touch if things don't go to plan and will also put a token bid in just in case!

Reagrding the couple of flood damage springers on boatwrecks...

http://www.boatwrecks.com/power.asp

Does 'flood damage' indicate sinking/ partial sinking,or could there be another reason?

And apart from whatever fixes needed to be done to the hull to prevent recurrance, what would it mean need doing internally? Would everything need to be ripped put and replaced or not necessarily?

Edited by Starcoaster

The question is, can Starcoaster buy a boat for <£7K that she could live on?

1/ Even in the 'South' winter temperatures may reach -20C so a decent heating system is desirable - most likely solid fuel, particularly scavenged wood.

2/ I am inhuman without my morning shower - this requires a large water tank or frequent access to a water point (5gallons/shower?).

3/ Outboard engines have little capacity to recharge batteries. Use wind-up radio, candles, oil lights etc.

Somewhere there is a boat that would suit you. It is likely you will have to accept an unusual design or minimal sidewalks (gunwales).

As others have said, this topic is a good exploration of what is possible but you now need to go and see some boats.

As you are inexperienced it may be best to buy from a broker. If they like you they may suggest an offer at 60% of their advertised price. i.e. look at boats up to £12K.

If all else fails find a partner to share the costs. BSP (,AKACilla) has a scheme!

Good Luck, Alan

Springer man on ebay wants a BIN price of 12k and has already been offered more than my 7k by a cash buyer so I think I may be out of the running there!

I have told him to keep in touch if things don't go to plan and will also put a token bid in just in case!

Reagrding the couple of flood damage springers on boatwrecks...

http://www.boatwrecks.com/power.asp

Does 'flood damage' indicate sinking/ partial sinking,or could there be another reason?

And apart from whatever fixes needed to be done to the hull to prevent recurrence, what would it mean need doing internally? Would everything need to be ripped put and replaced or not necessarily?

Flood damage could be just burst water pipes. Quite likely after last winter. I would steer clear

of any boat that has sunk as it would need a great deal of work, If it was just the pipes and it

fixed quickly and dry out as well

Ebay prices tend to be inflated when it comes to boats(They do have fees to pay). Your

best bet is to visit some of your local boat yards and marinas. As often you spot boats that

are up for sale, that are not listed with a broker. There are about 23 narrowboats

up for sale in my marina from 9K upward to 100k. You just missed the springer.

A good boat goes quick. This also has the vantage that you can look the boat over before

contacting the seller.

Firesprite

Back in Fens after returning from a raid into Haggis Land

There is more to be found up a cow backside, Than in many a textbook. S Farnon 1938

Unusual design and/ or minimal gunwhales would be fine! As would poor/ outdated cosmetic condition as thats all just windowdressing.

Looking forwards to getting out to Whilton and other areas and having a good poke about lol.

I have mailed boatwrecks to ask how the water damage on the two boats was caused on the off chance.

Is it sub-7ft beam?

Tony

No SC will need a big vice to get it down the narrow canals -tidy little boat though.

ETA - looked again and actually I am not so sure it isn't...

Edited by MJG

I have indeed, I just phoned up about it infact. No history on the hull or any past surveys but the seller believes it to be good as 'he bought it off a mate and he said it was ok.'

I spent yesterday and this morning in Yorkshire viewing two boats by arrangement and seeing what else was about- no goers yet!

Hoping to go to Nantwich at the end of the week but all depending on my mate who is putting me up!

Edited by Starcoaster

Yeah, I particularly liked the comment via email from another guy that was trying to sell a GRP boat...

"No survey history or antifouling but she's been in the water for decades and is still afloat..."

Err... That's reassuring! :lol:

I have become surprised since I started looking as to how many people don't seem to have a clue about the safety/ condition of their boat, nor any interest in finding out either.

More than once I have tried to arrange a viewing and said before going, "any potential offer I made would be subject to a reasonbable survey (at my cost of course)" and been told by return not to bother then, as they don't want the hassle and someone else will come along and buy it without...

More than once I have tried to arrange a viewing and said before going, "any potential offer I made would be subject to a reasonbable survey (at my cost of course)" and been told by return not to bother then, as they don't want the hassle and someone else will come along and buy it without...

I know I am out of step with received wisdom on this site but I think if you are going to succeed in buying a steel narrowboat inside your budget of £7k, you will have to dispense with surveys. Gift horse, mouth, and all that.

The main problem being that once a surveyor (paid for by you) pronounces the hull good, the value of the boat will jump to £15k+ in the sellers mind. Don't forget they were too cheapskate or lazy to get one done themselves so when a muggins comes along wanting to pay for one themselves, its bonus time! The absence of a survey is why many sub-£10k narrowboats are cheap in the first place.

Here's another on ebay, currently at £4.9k http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190582188594&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123

ETA to corroct spilling

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

I completely agree with you mike, a survey on a £5k boat is an unlikely thing, representing at least 10% of budget.

The man who said 'it's afloat' kind of expresses it. A knowledgeable friend is much more useful, after all the information will all be there somewhere if you know where to look. And the only things a surveyor will have over this is an ultrasound tester and a docking, not to be devalued but as you say a rarity at this end of the market.

To the OP again, go and see the boats, for most areas you'll find a forum member who'll give you a few hours. After all these people poke at boats for fun.

The eBay boat, although almost certainly not a springer would be a very good buy for £7000

Hmmm,

That boat claims to be a 1979 Springer.

I know Springers output varied a bit, but it doesn't look like any Springer I have ever seen before.

Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong, but my initial reaction is "That's no Springer".......

You beat me to it, Mr. F. Flat bottom, straight prow, that's no Springer.

It could however be a very good boat: lots of work recently done, Lister 2-cylinder (SR2?) engine, good size. I can't see it going for under £7,000 though.

Boilerman, the onus of arranging and funding a survey is surely usually on the buyer, not the seller.

Finally, the advert is a demonstration of the failure of the British educational system. He can't even spell the boat's location correctly. So perhaps when he wrote "Springer" he really meant something else, such as "Colecraft".

Edited by Athy

Quite apart from the (lack of) grammar, punctuation and spelling of the following:

was taken out of the water 1 and half years ago double skimmd re blackd and new anords in
... what does "double skimmed" mean?

Tony