Starting out......dont despair

Featured Posts

We bought our 60 foot narrowboat about 6 weeks ago now. Our first outing was a nightmare and Im sorry to say we had little help from the narrowboats around us. We have done everything we can to learn the craft, although there is nothing like experience. We have taken our helmsman certificate with the brilliant Bob from Worcester but are we the only ones that blow our horn at blind bends or tunnels and lower our speed.....We have been scowled at, not waved to, tutted at, not encouraged and I feel quite sad that we have had a few bad experiences in our first weeks afloat. I wish there were P plates for boats like there are for cars.....Having said that, nothing will deter us. We have waited too long to get to this point. Take heed all you brilliant boaters of many years...when you come round a corner to see someone banked and struggling...its probably me and I'll probably be laughing...so laugh with me rather than huff and puff. Im getting better every week and one day I'll be as good as you xxxx

Don't dispair. There are some nice boaters out there (let me know when you find them ;):P )

And there's nothing stopping you putting a couple of magnetic P plates on the boat.

It's always a good way of starting a conversation

why didnt I think of that !!!! Another good idea Ive just read is putting your mobile in a jam jar incase you drop it...because I just know Im going to fall in at some point. Got very close on Sunday trying to look cool..

There are many nice people I have met so far out there on the waterways. However you will always get some that snub there noses up at you maybe because your in a much nicer boat then there's or own a GRP and they own a NB.

I have a GRP and just to show you what it can be like I will tell you :

My friend came with me on my boat for a weekend, I came to moor up at a lock, she went to grab the rope from the bow and fell in. 2 NB owners came out the lock glanced at her in the water and carried on along there way........Didnt even ask if she was ok or anything.

Bradfordboy, a member of this forum just happened to be fishing on the other side and it was him and his friend that helped her back out of the water. Cant thank them enough as there was noway of getting her out otherwise.

However, on the other hand I was approaching another lock and was joined by a couple of men in a pristine NB, it was immaculate to say the least, I told them I was new to boating, they said thats not a problem we will share the lock with you so you can stay on your boat and we will do all the work for you. Again couldnt thank them enough.

Some NB's wave, some just put there noses in the air, but owners of GRP's always wave as they go past.

I personally couldnt give a damn what boat rosie or jim own, we all pay our dues and the waterways are there for everyones enjoyment.

If you need help, like I have many a time someone eventually will come along. I just hope that the ones that see you are in trouble, and just cruise on past, they themselves may need help one day...........

Sorry to hear you had bad experiences....there are plenty of nice and friendly boaters, I promise you!! Chat, share a beer and keep friendly, and it will come back towards you...though there are some ignorant ones too whom we all know at least 1 of I expect!!

One of our boats has gone out round the leicester ring this fortnight....she has magnetic L plates on.........and she's had her boat since last december!!!

why didnt I think of that !!!! Another good idea Ive just read is putting your mobile in a jam jar incase you drop it...because I just know Im going to fall in at some point. Got very close on Sunday trying to look cool..

Ive done that twice now in the past couple of weeks :lol: and been very lucky to getting the first phone I dropped in the water back, a guy put his wetsuit on and dived in to retrieve it!

Second time I fell in and my phone was in my pocket :(

Guest Quo Vadis

We bought our 60 foot narrowboat about 6 weeks ago now. Our first outing was a nightmare and Im sorry to say we had little help from the narrowboats around us. We have done everything we can to learn the craft, although there is nothing like experience. We have taken our helmsman certificate with the brilliant Bob from Worcester but are we the only ones that blow our horn at blind bends or tunnels and lower our speed.....We have been scowled at, not waved to, tutted at, not encouraged and I feel quite sad that we have had a few bad experiences in our first weeks afloat. I wish there were P plates for boats like there are for cars.....Having said that, nothing will deter us. We have waited too long to get to this point. Take heed all you brilliant boaters of many years...when you come round a corner to see someone banked and struggling...its probably me and I'll probably be laughing...so laugh with me rather than huff and puff. Im getting better every week and one day I'll be as good as you xxxx

Good luck to you!!! from one P Plater to another:cheers:

Sorry to hear you had bad experiences....there are plenty of nice and friendly boaters, I promise you!! Chat, share a beer and keep friendly, and it will come back towards you...though there are some ignorant ones too whom we all know at least 1 of I expect!!

One of our boats has gone out round the leicester ring this fortnight....she has magnetic L plates on.........and she's had her boat since last december!!!

I know of an ex working boat with a very well experienced boater who can give me many years of boating and a few of life who displays an L plate on his boat as he says you can always learn something.

• Greenie 1

Boating is very much something you can always learn something new at. I worry for the people who know everything there is to know because they probably don't know that much at all!

I will always smile and nod, if not wave, at all boaters, walkers, fishermen et al when I'm out and about on the boat. Have also had some grand evenings in canalside pubs with fellow boaters who start out as strangers and end up as friends by the end of the night. Yes there are some out there who will stare straight ahead as they surge past you or even look the other way, but they are far and away the minority.

There are many nice people I have met so far out there on the waterways. However you will always get some that snub there noses up at you maybe because your in a much nicer boat then there's or own a GRP and they own a NB.

I have a GRP and just to show you what it can be like I will tell you :

My friend came with me on my boat for a weekend, I came to moor up at a lock, she went to grab the rope from the bow and fell in. 2 NB owners came out the lock glanced at her in the water and carried on along there way........Didnt even ask if she was ok or anything.

Bradfordboy, a member of this forum just happened to be fishing on the other side and it was him and his friend that helped her back out of the water. Cant thank them enough as there was noway of getting her out otherwise.

However, on the other hand I was approaching another lock and was joined by a couple of men in a pristine NB, it was immaculate to say the least, I told them I was new to boating, they said thats not a problem we will share the lock with you so you can stay on your boat and we will do all the work for you. Again couldnt thank them enough.

Some NB's wave, some just put there noses in the air, but owners of GRP's always wave as they go past.

I personally couldnt give a damn what boat rosie or jim own, we all pay our dues and the waterways are there for everyones enjoyment.

If you need help, like I have many a time someone eventually will come along. I just hope that the ones that see you are in trouble, and just cruise on past, they themselves may need help one day...........

I like ladders,i dream and think about them all the time.I play snakes and ladders continually,and never go anywhere without one.I can climb up and get off one but am afraid to get back on to descend,but i still love em.

So invest in one,about 6'long will do,paint the boat red,add a siren and blue lamp,and sail about rescuing people and if there's no-one to rescue push someone in,lower the ladder over the side and they can simply and quite nonchalantly climb out as if nothings happened apart from getting a bit wet,and you can glow in the satisfaction of having done your bad and then good deed for the day.

I've mentioned keeping a ladder-gangplank on board on here before but with not much response,because its untraditional i suppose. I expect its their age,stuck in their ways. I've got two people out with mine. bizzard :closedeyes:

Also cut a length of plywood to fit in the middle so is convertible to an excellent gang plank

Sent from my Gooseberry state of the art waterproof empty sardine tin wireless device.

Edited by bizzard

I like ladders,i dream and think about them all the time.I play snakes and ladders continually,and never go anywhere without one.I can climb up and get off one but am afraid to get back on to descend,but i still love em.

So invest in one,about 6'long will do,paint the boat red,add a siren and blue lamp,and sail about rescuing people and if there's no-one to rescue push someone in,lower the ladder over the side and they can simply and quite nonchalantly climb out as if nothings happened apart from getting a bit wet,and you can glow in the satisfaction of having done your bad and then good deed for the day.

I've mentioned keeping a ladder-gangplank on board on here before but with not much response,because its untraditional i suppose. I expect its their age,stuck in their ways. I've got two people out with mine. bizzard :closedeyes:

Also cut a length of plywood to fit in the middle so is convertible to an excellent gang plank

Sent from my Gooseberry state of the art waterproof empty sardine tin wireless device.

Bizzard is a mine of good, and always practical, advice. Well, nearly always.

I can only add that if you attach a couple of pieces of 2x2 timber in the appropriate places (which will depend on how high your gunwale is above the water), the ladder will stand proud of the hull, which will make climbing it much easier.

Obviously you need a couple of hooks at the top, too, which should come with the ladder, with luck.

We bought our 60 foot narrowboat about 6 weeks ago now. Our first outing was a nightmare and Im sorry to say we had little help from the narrowboats around us. We have done everything we can to learn the craft, although there is nothing like experience. We have taken our helmsman certificate with the brilliant Bob from Worcester but are we the only ones that blow our horn at blind bends or tunnels and lower our speed.....We have been scowled at, not waved to, tutted at, not encouraged and I feel quite sad that we have had a few bad experiences in our first weeks afloat.

You've been unlucky. You're not on the Peak Forest, perchance?

Don't worry. The boater who looked and saw us before turning the lock on us said he had been boating 4yrs :rolleyes:

Sue

Can only think you have been unlucky, we are newbies also, but so far have found the majority of people to be very friendly - yes we have met the odd one or two ignorant people, but we wave/say hello anyway - (my view is that it is their problem not ours). We are/were all learners once.

Bizzard is a mine of good, and always practical, advice. Well, nearly always.

I can only add that if you attach a couple of pieces of 2x2 timber in the appropriate places (which will depend on how high your gunwale is above the water), the ladder will stand proud of the hull, which will make climbing it much easier.

Obviously you need a couple of hooks at the top, too, which should come with the ladder, with luck.

Thanks Sebrof.

Hooks yes good idea.But its better fun holding on to it as it sinks into the mud,shouting ''just you dare climb up!''and a bicycle bell fixed to the top rung, for the rescued to ring to wake up a bored rescuer on reaching the top yelling for Brandy. bizzard.

You've been unlucky. You're not on the Peak Forest, perchance?

Bizzard...you've made me laugh out loud....what brilliant ideas you have....I must get a ladder and a red cape...and a P plate then Im sure someone will talk to me. I like the idea of a bell aswell..attract as much attention as I can. We are based near Redditch in Worcestershire fairly close to the Tardebigge flight which is a beautiful part of the waterways.

Boating is very much something you can always learn something new at. I worry for the people who know everything there is to know because they probably don't know that much at all!

I will always smile and nod, if not wave, at all boaters, walkers, fishermen et al when I'm out and about on the boat. Have also had some grand evenings in canalside pubs with fellow boaters who start out as strangers and end up as friends by the end of the night. Yes there are some out there who will stare straight ahead as they surge past you or even look the other way, but they are far and away the minority.

I know everything about boating. :o

If it can go wrong it probably will.

The more people watching you do something complicated the more likely you are to make a complete fool of yourself, you'll always do it perfectly if there's no-one to see.

There's always something to spend money on, especially when you're a bit skint.

I know for certain that when I'm sure I know the best and "proper" way of doing something another option comes along to change my mind.

But most of all I know it's fun and we enjoy it.

Sue

And I know I still have lots to learn about how to control the boat, how to deal with all sorts of situations.

we bought our first boat 2 weeks ago and have met lots of really nice helpful people and just a couple who think they know it all and need to tell us that they do. Our maiden voyage last week was blighted when the fan belt snapped- keep spares!!! I did have one guy at a lock deliberately trying to be bossy and make me feel like a ditsy woman- but I've decided in future that I will just explain that I am new to this wonderful life, and trying to learn quickly and that its a shame they cant remember when they first started to learn- this is a much politer expanation than the one that my partner suggested

We are moored in a marina- and the people there are lovely and I have to say once we got going after the fan belt, I spoke to more people last weekend that I didnt know -at locks etc than probably in the previous month. I hope you've just been unlucky. Keep smiling and enjoy

Guest Quo Vadis

I thought that was one of Bizzard's wheezes ... just to see how many people he could get to model jam jars :)

I thought that was one of Bizzard's wheezes ... just to see how many people he could get to model jam jars :)

Thanks Quo,indeed it is,and its patented.

Put phone on vibrate alert and watch it buzz around like an angry Bumble Bee in the jar when it goes off.Best worn around the neck on bit of string. bizzard

• Greenie 1

Hi bizzard

I came across a lovely old ladder some time ago 7 f/t currently in the warehouse, it tapers slightly; nice and wide at the bottom thinner at the top and is extremely strong when stood on horizontally as well as vertically, all rungs in very good nick, so I'm planning to use this along with a thin plank inset 18mm possibly. I think this set up makes a lot of sense doing 2 or more jobs in one, there's a few spots on the river we want to moor but their by high shoring topped with concrete, the ladder will enable us to moor there and be able to exit the boat up the ladder.

Only thing I haven't checked is if it'll fit on the pole and plank holder set LOL But the ladder will be utilised whatever.

we bought our first boat 2 weeks ago and have met lots of really nice helpful people and just a couple who think they know it all and need to tell us that they do. Our maiden voyage last week was blighted when the fan belt snapped- keep spares!!! I did have one guy at a lock deliberately trying to be bossy and make me feel like a ditsy woman- but I've decided in future that I will just explain that I am new to this wonderful life, and trying to learn quickly and that its a shame they cant remember when they first started to learn- this is a much politer expanation than the one that my partner suggested

We are moored in a marina- and the people there are lovely and I have to say once we got going after the fan belt, I spoke to more people last weekend that I didnt know -at locks etc than probably in the previous month. I hope you've just been unlucky. Keep smiling and enjoy

oh blimey...snap...literally. our fan belt shredded into a million pieces on our third trip and that was the second time we had broken down. We have a local hero called Andy from the marina who came out, replaced the shredded belt and we went on our way promising him a curry when we next saw him. We have learnt so much in the last month I cant keep up...but I do know I love every minute of it. we made a point of waving and saying hello to everyone we passed and we felt better although it wasnt always reciprocated...never mind, thier loss.

I know everything about boating. :o

If it can go wrong it probably will.

The more people watching you do something complicated the more likely you are to make a complete fool of yourself, you'll always do it perfectly if there's no-one to see.

There's always something to spend money on, especially when you're a bit skint.

I know for certain that when I'm sure I know the best and "proper" way of doing something another option comes along to change my mind.

But most of all I know it's fun and we enjoy it.

Sue

And I know I still have lots to learn about how to control the boat, how to deal with all sorts of situations.

I think you have completely summed my last month !!!!!!

Hi bizzard

I came across a lovely old ladder some time ago 7 f/t currently in the warehouse, it tapers slightly; nice and wide at the bottom thinner at the top and is extremely strong when stood on horizontally as well as vertically, all rungs in very good nick, so I'm planning to use this along with a thin plank inset 18mm possibly. I think this set up makes a lot of sense doing 2 or more jobs in one, there's a few spots on the river we want to moor but their by high shoring topped with concrete, the ladder will enable us to moor there and be able to exit the boat up the ladder.

Only thing I haven't checked is if it'll fit on the pole and plank holder set LOL But the ladder will be utilised whatever.

Ahoy Julynian,

Window cleaners used to favor that tapered type for some first floor windows.When they trundled about on a bicycle with a purpose made small wheeled sidscar for their ladders.They used to be invaluable when boating solo as some locks had no ladders in them. ''On the roof,nip up pronto and pull it up after you'' bizzard.

oh blimey...snap...literally. our fan belt shredded into a million pieces on our third trip and that was the second time we had broken down. We have a local hero called Andy from the marina who came out, replaced the shredded belt and we went on our way promising him a curry when we next saw him. We have learnt so much in the last month I cant keep up...but I do know I love every minute of it. we made a point of waving and saying hello to everyone we passed and we felt better although it wasnt always reciprocated...never mind, thier loss.

Hi Lazerus, saw you recently. Were you on the G&S? Could have been the Avon ring in June.

Will wave harder next time!

This is a great part of the system, Rob