Barby Moorings and the Trade Description Act!!!!??

Annie Girl

Featured Posts

Looks like Barby is on The Legaliser BBC1 at 0915 this morning.

Indeed it is.

I am a bit perplexed as to the claim for £1496 for the storage of garden equipment. What on earth did she have in storage?

And we are not allowed to know how the mediation went, so it was a bit of a waste of time.

Yes have to admit some of the claims were a bit high. £1500 storage!! doubt many people have garden equipment even worth that much. and that's a lot of diesel for 100 miles even if everything on the boat was diesel run, unless she too 6 months to do the trip. Why wouldn't you go and see a marina before you moved there, and check it out first?

If the lady has declared the 100 miles trip (plus moving to another marina) at full propulsion 100% duty, then £300 is not going to be far off.

The marina was supposed to be open 12 months before the first boats were finally allowed in. Deposits were taken on the strength of advertising over 2 years before it finally opened(ish).

Edited by matty40s

If the lady has declared the 100 miles trip (plus moving to another marina) at full propulsion 100% duty, then £300 is not going to be far off.

If say doing an average 2mph then thats 50 hours, at £1.40 per litre thats over an average 4 litres per hour. Now narrowboats, even big ones aren't that thirsty.

Totally agree with Matty40s. Also totally agree with her storage costs,bearing in mind that this lady has been waiting, god knows how many months for her money. We just had some belongings in a very small secure storage and our bill was £95 per month. Would suggest that these individuals who disagree with her storage fees, trying doing the numbers from when she was thrown off the marina. - adds up to a fair few months Good for her. Nice to see someone standing up for their rights instead of wingeing about it. Also Good Luck to Frank and anyone in this position

Edited by Humphrey

Although we didn't hear the actual result, the lady said she was happy with the outcome which would infer she got ,at least, most of what she wanted which means the Barby bloke had to pay up.

I wasn't impressed with the programme and won't mind if I miss it, but at least it must give some encouragement to anyone else who has allegedly (I watch HIGNFY) fallen foul of this advertising at Barby.

The marina was supposed to be open 12 months before the first boats were finally allowed in. Deposits were taken on the strength of advertising over 2 years before it finally opened(ish).

When we travel somewhere in our boats and somebody says oh my goodness how long did that take you, isn't it a case of how long I want to take? Who knows if this mileage, rather than hours, was just an incorrect quote on the program? If the whole claim wasn't valid and supported the risk of failure at court would have been pretty high and further loss incurred, surely.

As this topic is huge, there are maybe some who haven't read through from some of the posts read; but as Matty40s has said a lot of people bought mooring on spec. They were lied to for months and duped into going there and yes probably checked the place before travelling, but again the promised land never materialised. But for the most part it was the treatment received that was probably the final straw as Frank and Dave also endured, along with many others and indeed still are from what I hear first hand.

Most of the gripes are throughout the topic history. Useful reading for insomnia now I think wacko.png IMO

As an "interested party" I was amazed to be told that the Legaliser had been shown on TV. I thought it had wound up on the cutting room floor.

Without becoming too involved in debate I would would want to say I don't think Sue's claim for storage unreasonable. Any such claim would include removal and insurance costs.

My only other comment would be to ask, would any member of this forum having paid over £2000 pa for a full length pontoon mooring be willing to leave their boat where I was expected to leave mine?

Frank

NB Vital Spark

My only other comment would be to ask, would any member of this forum having paid over £2000 pa for a full length pontoon mooring be willing to leave their boat where I was expected to leave mine?

Frank

NB Vital Spark

Hard to say, as you don't explain where you were expected to leave yours.

£2000 for a pontoon mooring in a marina sounds pretty cheap to me actually. May we infer you didn't get the pontoon?

(I'm guessing you may have mentioned it somewhere in the preceding 689 posts but I don't have time to read them all ;) )

MtB

As an "interested party" I was amazed to be told that the Legaliser had been shown on TV. I thought it had wound up on the cutting room floor.

Without becoming too involved in debate I would would want to say I don't think Sue's claim for storage unreasonable. Any such claim would include removal and insurance costs.

Frank

NB Vital Spark

Actually,seeing as you ask, assuming you not living aboard, then the cost of £2,000 eminently reasonable for a degree of security offered by a mooring in a marina. If, on the other hand, you desiring to live aboard, then £2,000 for a residential mooring is cheap! You get a water point, an electrical hookup, free car parking, rubbish facilities, a post code for contact, and everything else is free. When the mud gets too much, you can always go out of the marina for a break, and you can moor on the towpath and enjoy the mud there too....

The programming doesn't dwell on the aspect of living aboard, nor the non payment of council tax.

Actually,seeing as you ask, assuming you not living aboard, then the cost of £2,000 eminently reasonable for a degree of security offered by a mooring in a marina. If, on the other hand, you desiring to live aboard, then £2,000 for a residential mooring is cheap! You get a water point, an electrical hookup, free car parking, rubbish facilities, a post code for contact, and everything else is free. When the mud gets too much, you can always go out of the marina for a break, and you can moor on the towpath and enjoy the mud there too....

The programming doesn't dwell on the aspect of living aboard, nor the non payment of council tax.

In fact it was £2600 pa and non residential.

As for your comments regarding the facilities, most didn't exist ! That was central to my case. I suggest you look at my original post (no 129) and ,if possible the TV programme.

For information and to save you trawling through 700 posts I only claimed my mooring fee back (pro rata) I didn't pursue the matter of expenses and costs. The final result in my case was that Mr McMaster's solicitor settled my claim in full a week before we were due in court.

Frank

Edited by Slim

I would love to know what the QC would off charged for his advice.

It was a pretty straightforward case especially with the ASA ruling. Well beneath the level of a QC and such advice could I'm sure have been obtained free at a CAB. But yes, if one was foolish enough to want a QC it would be extortionate.

By the way, they are not all rather plump and pleased with themselves such as the one in the programme. My mum is good friends with John Saunders QC who is a good bloke and is now my hero as the high court judge "the Hon Mr Justice Saunders" who presided over sending the majority of the expenses-fiddling MPs to prison, and is now trying Ms Brooks and Mr Coulson on phone hacking charges. Definitely a public servant.

By the way, they are not all rather plump and pleased with themselves such as the one in the programme. My mum is good friends with John Saunders QC who is a good bloke and is now my hero as the high court judge "the Hon Mr Justice Saunders" who presided over sending the majority of the expenses-fiddling MPs to prison, and is now trying Ms Brooks and Mr Coulson on phone hacking charges. Definitely a public servant.

Pitty he could'nt hang the lot.....................................

Thanks Tim. Program duly watched!

I'm intrigued by the end of Sue's story. At the end of mediation she says she is very happy with the result but the expression on her face tells the opposite story. She looks as miserable as hell about it and appears only to be saying the words so as not to spoil the TV program.

I appreciate the terms of the settlement are confidential but I note we are not told that she was actually paid out, only that a settlement was reached. A stark contrast with the crowing about how Barby caved in and paid out the other claim, Slim's I think.

Do we know on here if Sue was actually paid the confidential settlement or was enforcement action was required after the program?

MtB