Barby Moorings and the Trade Description Act!!!!??

Annie Girl

Featured Posts

Please be aware;

Local Council have instigated investigations into 'residential' living at Barby. Unsure how many there would be deemed to fall into this catergory. Found this out last week.

The owner's original 2010 /11 gambit;

'as long as you step off your boat & get back on' you were abiding by the 'non resi' clause, set alarm bells ringing to me.

I was one who nearly fell into the deposit trap but was not convinced he would have funds to complete etc.

It's a beautiful spot & a real shame...........

I may be being over sensitive on behalf of others but it is possible to read this in a way that suggests all those who have said they are happy with things aren't being honest.

I think you are!....perhaps I could have phrased it better.....what I meant to say was that we could read both sides of how things are now and make our own minds up

did you see the original post? The moderators are there to protect Daniel and the forum, some comments in there were dangerous.

Yes I did read it.Well I didnt think it was any worse than what has been said/implied about other companies on here....and to my mind its good to have criticism....I didnt see anything that wasnt possibly true....In all arguments things can be subjective....its best to be able to make your own mind up.

Cheers

Gareth

Yup. Mercia where we moored is a great marina in many respects but it was a barsteward when trying to get moored some times in high winds.

Yes, I have to agree with you there, I think I'm getting the hang of it now, though. smile.png

I really don't understand how some posters can try negate the stress and loss of funds and heartache these two armholes have propagated. Just imagine that your parents, grandparents, brothers, sisters, or even offspring had taken these (cough) people at their word in 2010 and paid deposits for a dream mooring with facilities, and now have a broken dream. Can that really be plastered over?

I don't think anyone is trying to negate other peoples experiences.

However, if a bit of a problem and inconvenience over a mooring is the worst that life has to throw at you, you ain't doing bad!

• Greenie 2

I don't think anyone is trying to negate other peoples experiences.

However, if a bit of a problem and inconvenience over a mooring is the worst that life has to throw at you, you ain't doing bad!

Greeno for you, mon capitaine, for putting things in perspective.

Fizz --- there appear to be some happy moorers there, willing to pay £2k a year in a marina that should have been finished 2 years ago & good luck to them. However, why put up with problems & inconvenience when there are plenty of berths in good marinas in the area?

I have puzzled over that too. I supose the relaxed attitude to residential berths may have something to do with it. Otherwise there is plenty of choice north and south of Barby for similar or even less money.

Lime Farm perhaps? Rather a mystery marina - it appears to be a restored length of one of the old truncated North Oxford Canal wiggly bits. They never seem to advertise, or to be mentioned in lists of marinas.

Lime Farm perhaps? Rather a mystery marina - it appears to be a restored length of one of the old truncated North Oxford Canal wiggly bits. They never seem to advertise, or to be mentioned in lists of marinas.

Yes I think so. Not quite a marina as such but plenty of folk moor their. It's OK we pop in their for fuel sometimes.

An it's a nice informative site, and it looks like a nice and peacefull mooring.

Peter.

It's a nice spot I remember clocking it last time we passed. I believe Athy is correct when he says it was formed by part of the redundant sections of the Oxford which occurred when it was re-routed and straightened around the Newbold area.

ed - indeed he is - from their web site -

The marina is one of the old loops that were created in 1828 when the North Oxford canal was changed from a winding contour route to a much straighter shorter route.

Edited by The Dog House

It's a nice spot I remember clocking it last time we passed. I believe Athy is correct when he says it was formed by part of the redundant sections of the Oxford which occurred when it was re-routed and straightened around the Newbold area.

ed - indeed he is - from their web site -

The marina is one of the old loops that were created in 1828 when the North Oxford canal was changed from a winding contour route to a much straighter shorter route.

The other end of the loop is the Brinklow Marina iron bridge.

The other end of the loop is the Brinklow Marina iron bridge.

I don't think you're right about that. http://ukwrs.co.uk/gecm/?p=62 if you zoom in shows the "lime farm" arm looping round to come out opposite Yates yard, crossing the current line through the gardens there before crossing back and then heading under the towpath bridge there and heading towards the old tunnel. The "Brinklow marina" arm seems to start just west of Walton's bridge (48) where there is a widening of the towpath. This feels right as bridges 42 and 43 seem old, but the one between lime farm and Yates seems much newer (not sure of its number) as does 48. Also the canal between lime farm and the new tunnel is pretty straight.

I don't think Lime Farm have any available moorings, we enquired recently and they were full!

Probably not I think they are reasonable in price and there are not many of them.

I don't think you're right about that. http://ukwrs.co.uk/gecm/?p=62 if you zoom in shows the "lime farm" arm looping round to come out opposite Yates yard, crossing the current line through the gardens there before crossing back and then heading under the towpath bridge there and heading towards the old tunnel. The "Brinklow marina" arm seems to start just west of Walton's bridge (48) where there is a widening of the towpath. This feels right as bridges 42 and 43 seem old, but the one between lime farm and Yates seems much newer (not sure of its number) as does 48. Also the canal between lime farm and the new tunnel is pretty straight.

Yes I think you are right. I thought it was the same as that is what I was told by someone else but the map does seem to show they are different loops.

Edited by churchward

Met two different boaters tonight both of who are on the way to Barby to over winter. Both had pre visited and are going here with their eyes open and are happy with the facilities in relation to what they are being charged.

I think you're absolutely right about that but you have to take the Google maps of the pre-straightened North Oxford with a pinch of salt. There's at least one loop missing, just north of the Kent road bridge in Hillmorton and the position of the 'green line' showing the former route of the canal is a bit more than slightly misplaced in a few instances. For example. you can walk along the bed of the original canal in between the two parts of Yates Avenue in Newbold but Google shows the canal to the south. There are a few places where the ground disturbance of the original route is clearly visible in the satellite view but for some reason Google has drawn the route a few hundred yards away. As for Lime Farm Marina, does anyone know why the arm is not crossed by a cast iron Horsley bridge? Was it perhaps once stanked off and then reconnected?

Was it perhaps once stanked off and then reconnected?

Yes. it was, until very recently in fact.

More than just stanked off, though, there was quite a stretch filled in between the canal and the "pond" that was surrounded by a smallholding, before they broke through again.

I used to regularly walk past thinking it would make a lovely little marina, if they reconnected.

• 4 weeks later...