Barby Moorings and the Trade Description Act!!!!??

Annie Girl

Featured Posts

Is it all tickity boo now at Barby and is everybody happy?

It would be nice to know. Perhaps a happy chappie moorer from the marina may like to post.

Martyn

People only seem to trumpet their feelings when they are unhappy.

Happy people seem to keep it to themselves

The basic thrust of the new member's post was that this marina is still not finished, two years on & he was not happy. Matty replied to the effect that the owners were doing their best.

So, is there anyone else who moors there & can tell us more, like has the facilities building been started yet & is it worth £2k a year for a 60ft boat -- if you pay in advance?

I have met a couple of boaters that are happy there, one is a live aboard. When we passed the other week there were quite a few boats in there but I couldn't see much change from a year ago. I did hear locally that if you want to complain then you are likely to be met with some hostility. As I don't know for sure the truth I wont repeat his words.

I know two (separate, unrelated) very recent departees, both very unhappy, one of whom contacted the police before he went to move his boat due to having been dealt with aggressively by the owner.

Neither story is mine to tell so I'll leave it there, but no, there is not a unanimous happy result there yet, it seems.

I have booked winter moorings and moored there for 10 days last week while I went back to the house.

Pontoons are full, only basic facilities but that is what they are advertising. The few people I spoke to seemed happy enough. Penny went out of her way to help me.

Ok ladies and gents,

It was me who made the innappropriate post, I apologise for any offence caused. I had just been wound up by the attitude of the marina owners and vented on here, wrong I admit.

The facts are though:

No significant progress appears to have been made with new facilities.

The access road is very poorly made, I have a 4WD so no problem for me, but the wife's clio doesn't like it much!

The paths and 'roads' around the marina are basically just mud, not much fun when you are loading/unloading stuff, especially given there are very few moorings with close car access, nor anywhere you can move the boat to to facilitate such.

The diesel/pump out quay is dangerous to use as is in a very windy area so inevitably a crew member needs to jump off the boat with a rope onto what is either mud or uneven hardcore. There is also nothing to tie onto once you are there except for a couple of studs protruding through the rear of the Armco pilings. This is neither secure nor good for your ropes. Some improvements have been made to level the ground but it is still far from safe to use.

We had hells own game to get a loose panel on our pontoon fixed, and this was only done after my 4 year-old fell through it.

Any criticism of the marina, even constructive, is met with aggression from the owners. I can understand it is frustrating for them to be in this position but the facts remain that the marina is far from being finished, and is showing no signs of the finances being in place to do so.

On the positive side however, Penny is very good with boat maintenance and can be trusted to do a good job of any work you may require.

The location is great.

They seem to be offering good rates for winter boat storage.

It may be a good option for anyone who does not require frequent access to their boat, wants to be in that area and take advantage of the present discounted rates and is prepared to live with the shortcomings above.

'Well what the heck are you mooring there then'? I hear you say. We are part of a share syndicate boat and bought into the boat after the decision to moor there was made. I have been boating for 35 years and have never come across anything like this before.

I do hope the owners manage to get it to work, nobody can predict the future but the present is not really a pretty picture.

Ok ladies and gents,

It was me who made the innappropriate post, I apologise for any offence caused. I had just been wound up by the attitude of the marina owners and vented on here, wrong I admit.

The facts are though:

No significant progress appears to have been made with new facilities.

The access road is very poorly made, I have a 4WD so no problem for me, but the wife's clio doesn't like it much!

The paths and 'roads' around the marina are basically just mud, not much fun when you are loading/unloading stuff, especially given there are very few moorings with close car access, nor anywhere you can move the boat to to facilitate such.

The diesel/pump out quay is dangerous to use as is in a very windy area so inevitably a crew member needs to jump off the boat with a rope onto what is either mud or uneven hardcore. There is also nothing to tie onto once you are there except for a couple of studs protruding through the rear of the Armco pilings. This is neither secure nor good for your ropes. Some improvements have been made to level the ground but it is still far from safe to use.

We had hells own game to get a loose panel on our pontoon fixed, and this was only done after my 4 year-old fell through it.

Any criticism of the marina, even constructive, is met with aggression from the owners. I can understand it is frustrating for them to be in this position but the facts remain that the marina is far from being finished, and is showing no signs of the finances being in place to do so.

On the positive side however, Penny is very good with boat maintenance and can be trusted to do a good job of any work you may require.

The location is great.

They seem to be offering good rates for winter boat storage.

It may be a good option for anyone who does not require frequent access to their boat, wants to be in that area and take advantage of the present discounted rates and is prepared to live with the shortcomings above.

'Well what the heck are you mooring there then'? I hear you say. We are part of a share syndicate boat and bought into the boat after the decision to moor there was made. I have been boating for 35 years and have never come across anything like this before.

I do hope the owners manage to get it to work, nobody can predict the future but the present is not really a pretty picture.

Your post is just about how it was for us last winter. We moored at Barby for 3 months but Jenny couldn't cope with the mud (I was away fitting out a kitchen for step-son). We left on relatively amicable terms. I found Tony extremely agitated and stressed and actually had some sympathy for the position that he and Penny were in. Am privy to some confidential info so will not expand on the in and outs of the delay in completion but I do think that not all boaters have been entirely fair in their interpretation of what they should be entitled to. And I'm not saying that any of the loads of earlier correspondance is not indicative of what was happening, just that sometimes people can through false expectation have hopes that are dashed. I think this applies both sides. We moored up knowing exactly what to expect. The fees charged were reasonable.

We would return to Barby and hope that at some point the original ideas of Tony & Penny become reality before too long.

We are moored here and generally happy.

It is true that it is still a work in progress but we knew this before we signed up.

The roads are rough but not just mud.

The fueling/pump out berth is crushed hardcore but is fairly level. The steel piling has a timber facing which will accept a set of mooring chains so, mooring is not really a problem. As for the wind, that's not under the control of the owners!

I do not know what experiences people have had in the past and can only relate how I have found it.

The owners are doing their best to progress things and hope to make a start on the services building in the spring.

I'll keep you all posted.

Edited by Captain Fizz

It is true that it is still a work in progress but we knew this before we signed up.

The fueling/pump out berth is crushed hardcore but is fairly level. The steel piling has a timber facing which will accept a set of mooring chains so, mooring is not really a problem. As for the wind, that's not under the control of the owners!

I do not know what experiences people have had in the past and can only relate how I have found it.

The owners are doing their best to progress things and hope to make a start on the services building in the spring.

As far as being windy in the marina I have yet to go into a Marina that does not have the same issue. It is just a factor of all that open area water and land without anything to stop or disperse the wind.

As far as being windy in the marina I have yet to go into a Marina that does not have the same issue. It is just a factor of all that open area water and land without anything to stop or disperse the wind.

Yup. Mercia where we moored is a great marina in many respects but it was a barsteward when trying to get moored some times in high winds.

I really don't understand how some posters can try negate the stress and loss of funds and heartache these two armholes have propagated. Just imagine that your parents, grandparents, brothers, sisters, or even offspring had taken these (cough) people at their word in 2010 and paid deposits for a dream mooring with facilities, and now have a broken dream. Can that really be plastered over?

I can endorse these comments.

The roads have some potholes but not serious.

I was moored for a night at the fuelling berth on chains without problems. The ground is a bit uneven but not a problem.

Did not encounter much mud walking the dog around the marina and it appears you can get a car (at least temporarily) pretty close to all moorings.

There is obviously some history here - I can only comment on what I found.

Yep our marina is renowned for it. Burton Waters AKA Windy Waters.

The wind catches out many an unwary boater. Fortunately there are large wide turning areas dotted around. However the fuel and services berth is a pig even for our little boat if the wind is blowing you off.

As someone else has said you cant really blame the owners for the wind!!

I really don't understand how some posters can try negate the stress and loss of funds and heartache these two armholes have propagated. Just imagine that your parents, grandparents, brothers, sisters, or even offspring had taken these (cough) people at their word in 2010 and paid deposits for a dream mooring with facilities, and now have a broken dream. Can that really be plastered over?

it is understandable and right that these people felt aggrieved and hard done by, this thread shows the pain caused.

however,it was not right that the latest complainer who has only just taken a share in a boat moored there, joined the forum specifically for a late night rant and slagging session.

it is understandable and right that these people felt aggrieved and hard done by, this thread shows the pain caused.

however,it was not right that the latest complainer who has only just taken a share in a boat moored there, joined the forum specifically for a late night rant and slagging session.

May as well shut the forum down then if we aren't allowed a rant!.....by the the standards of some threads I didn't think that was bad at all....and seemed to confirm what we saw when we went past earlier in the year. I found it good to hear from someone there honestly.

Cheers.

Gareth

May as well shut the forum down then if we aren't allowed a rant!.....by the the standards of some threads I didn't think that was bad at all....and seemed to confirm what we saw when we went past earlier in the year. I found it good to hear from someone there honestly.

Cheers.

Gareth

did you see the original post? The moderators are there to protect Daniel and the forum, some comments in there were dangerous.