Barby Moorings and the Trade Description Act!!!!??

Annie Girl

Featured Posts

I have to agree with Tim Coughlan here, (cough splutter cough) I think there are enough marinas in this area already.

Why don't the developers just take over Barby Moorings and complete that?

on the whole I tend to agree that there are enough in the area.

However, the fact that there are so many moorings has meant despite the area being busy and Braunston and surrounding areas a bit of a honey pot the marina prices have kept competitive and deals to be made. That is good for us local boaters.

This is also a motivation I think for folk like Tim Coughlan to comment on the situation when another proposal comes up as it means further pressure on his marinas tarrif.

This is also a motivation I think for folk like Tim Coughlan to comment on the situation when another proposal comes up as it means further pressure on his marinas tarrif.

This is probably true, but it might also be reflected in the difficulties that he had with a particular group (i.e. family?) in Braunston when he was trying to expand his own marina sometime ago.

If you cast a ten mile circle around Braunston, perhaps you might be amazed at the number of berths for (particularly) narow boats. If ever there was an event which caused even 20% of these boats to move on any given day there would be chaos!

This is probably true, but it might also be reflected in the difficulties that he had with a particular group (i.e. family?) in Braunston when he was trying to expand his own marina sometime ago.

If you cast a ten mile circle around Braunston, perhaps you might be amazed at the number of berths for (particularly) narow boats. If ever there was an event which caused even 20% of these boats to move on any given day there would be chaos!

I doubt I would be. I moor around there, a little further north of where the barby moorings are.

As I say it does give the boat owner some advantage these days as not all moorings are used up so there is a surpless and when that happens prices come under pressure.

• 1 month later...

:cheers: Success!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cheers:

Just to let anyone who's interested know that Tony McMaster has settled in full my claim against him for the grand sum of £506.43.and dropped his conterclaim against me for £250.00 The matter went to the point where in advance of a court appearance on the 3rd May I sent to both the court and his solicitor copies of my Witness Statement and all the evidence I had to support my claim. The money, which came via his solicitor is sitting in my bank account as I type this.

Whilst I didn't do anything exceptional if anyone wants to know chapter and verse the process i followed please PM me and I'll be only too happy to give details.

Some of you will recall that at one stage a TV production company expressed an interest in the whole matter. Just to let you know that they came to see me and recorded an interview with a view to it being transmitted in or around September .

I don't want to gloat but the feelings of satisfaction I have are totally disproportionate to the money involved. Throughout my dealings with Barby Moorings I, in common with others, have been treated with total contempt. I could go on but I won't.

Finally I would like to thank all those who either through the thread? or via PMs gave advice and encouragement.

Frank

OPPS, clicked too soon. Another success.!!!

I was going onto say that I have concluded my small claims case against Barby Moorings where they paid up my deposit in full plus court fees just before the cut-off date of incurring further court fees. It has been a long slog lasting many months. Barby Moorings have demonstrated to me the most appalling attitude to customer service, totally ignoring phone calls, emails, letters, etc. The situation at Barby is a shambles. It's a shame that they could not be more understanding of their customers expectations, maybe they wouldn't be in this mess.

Although I received a full refund, this doesn't take into account the postage, leg-work, amount of paper and printer ink (witness statement runs to nearly 20 pages, 3 copies needed), etc.

In effect, Barby has had an interest free loan from me for over a year. I have had to do all the leg-work and Barby has done nothing.

I can imagine why some people don't persevere with a claim via the small claim court as it can take a very long time. All I can add is that, for me, the time and money involved is insignificant to getting satisfaction over what is rightfully yours.

We've now found a most delightful marina where the staff are at the opposite end of customer relations, where nothing is too much trouble. If I ever have to cruise past Barby again, at least I can hold my head up high.

I'm now off down to the pub to enjoy a well deserved pint B)

I was going onto say that I have concluded my small claims case against Barby Moorings where they paid up my deposit in full plus court fees just before the cut-off date of incurring further court fees. It has been a long slog lasting many months. Barby Moorings have demonstrated to me the most appalling attitude to customer service, totally ignoring phone calls, emails, letters, etc. The situation at Barby is a shambles. It's a shame that they could not be more understanding of their customers expectations, maybe they wouldn't be in this mess.

Although I received a full refund, this doesn't take into account the postage, leg-work, amount of paper and printer ink (witness statement runs to nearly 20 pages, 3 copies needed), etc.

In effect, Barby has had an interest free loan from me for over a year. I have had to do all the leg-work and Barby has done nothing.

I can imagine why some people don't persevere with a claim via the small claim court as it can take a very long time. All I can add is that, for me, the time and money involved is insignificant to getting satisfaction over what is rightfully yours.

We've now found a most delightful marina where the staff are at the opposite end of customer relations, where nothing is too much trouble. If I ever have to cruise past Barby again, at least I can hold my head up high.

Never ever will a pint of softly foaming beer taste as good

Tell you what - - have a couple!

And congratulations! :cheers:

Well done and just think how you have spoilt his day.

Have you also written to credit agency to see if you can add it to his credit file?

Well dome for sticking with it - lets hope others are prepared to do the same...

There are still some of us biding our time awaiting the hearing. As Trapper has said, its a long haul getting to that point and not for the feint hearted. But win or loose, I live with the satisfaction he will fall one day and I think we should all congregate on the cut when he does. Our own little rally :lol:

Watch this space because I hope there are many others who are also weighting him down with court hearings. I hope coming here has given them strength to carry on with it. I will meet up with Frank when mines done, celebrate commiserate I don't care really. Maybe we should announce when and all get together for a party. :cheers:

Well done again Trapper :clapping:

There are still some of us biding our time awaiting the hearing. As Trapper has said, its a long haul getting to that point and not for the feint hearted. But win or loose, I live with the satisfaction he will fall one day and I think we should all congregate on the cut when he does. Our own little rally :lol:

Watch this space because I hope there are many others who are also weighting him down with court hearings. I hope coming here has given them strength to carry on with it. I will meet up with Frank when mines done, celebrate commiserate I don't care really. Maybe we should announce when and all get together for a party. :cheers:

I guess it hinges on how much dosh Barby have including any capital - no court in the land can force you to pay money you just haven't got...

Edited by The Dog House

I guess it hinges on how much dosh Barby have including any capital - no court in the land can force you to pay money you just haven't got...

Nope you are right, but then he is operating a business he can't afford and will be forced into Bankruptcy. As I recall, if you can't pay your debts you are out of business? Can't recall the exact quote, but no doubt someone will on here?

Like Trapper said, I am not doing this for the money; the time and effort far outweight the result. But, people like him have to be shown for what they are.

Nope you are right, but then he is operating a business he can't afford and will be forced into Bankruptcy. As I recall, if you can't pay your debts you are out of business? Can't recall the exact quote, but no doubt someone will on here?

Like Trapper said, I am not doing this for the money; the time and effort far outweight the result. But, people like him have to be shown for what they are.

It's a very poor situation for you all to be in - I can see what you are saying.

:cheers:

• 3 months later...

So, finally I got a result and I am a very happy person.

Got more than I hoped for but through sheer perseverance. Yes!! Got back other bits as well as the deposit. Cannot disclose due to agreement, but let say I got the value of a good few more pontoons off him. Yes it was hard going at times, but the day I left I told him he'd regret crossing me. Tenacious my middle name. Tony if you look in :P and up yours mate.

Frank cheers to you too for the support earlier in the unfortunate business.

Thanks also to you lot on here for the continued promotion of the dreaded Barby Mooring Ltd and warnign others of what may befall them at his hands.

I will have a great Xmas and may even use the file to kindle the fire

:cheers: to you all....

Now I have another situation......... cough cough - will start another topic in the near future, may have company on that one too :wacko: All I will say is New & Used Boat Co!!

Edited by Charlie Boy

So, finally I got a result and I am a very happy person.

Got more than I hoped for but through sheer perseverance. Yes!! Got back other bits as well as the deposit. Cannot disclose due to agreement, but let say I got the value of a good few more pontoons off him.

Congratulations! But can you clarify whether you have actually collected the money, or just obtained a judgement in your favour? Collecting is a whole nuther ball game, but I'm sure you know this.

Now I have another situation......... cough cough - will start another topic in the near future, may have company on that one too :wacko: All I will say is New & Used Boat Co!!

Now that surprises me. When I was a subcontractor of theirs in the days before the recession, they seemed like a decent and honourable firm. They would spend money like water putting right after-sales faults on the Liverpool boats they (naïvely) sold back then. I even witnessed them take back a new boat with multiple faults and supply the punter with a second, brand new boat. I'm sure they didn't need to go that far, but they wanted happy customers back then and seemed willing to do whatever it took.

Just my personal experience of them, six or seven years back.

MtB

Congratulations! But can you clarify whether you have actually collected the money, or just obtained a judgement in your favour? Collecting is a whole nuther ball game, but I'm sure you know this.

Now that surprises me. When I was a subcontractor of theirs in the days before the recession, they seemed like a decent and honourable firm. They would spend money like water putting right after-sales faults on the Liverpool boats they (naïvely) sold back then. I even witnessed them take back a new boat with multiple faults and supply the punter with a second, brand new boat. I'm sure they didn't need to go that far, but they wanted happy customers back then and seemed willing to do whatever it took.

Just my personal experience of them, six or seven years back.

MtB

Firmly banked hence the good Xmas comment.

The rest I will not go into on this thread, as I say it's for another topic......

I guess in that case it was an out of court settlement with a gaging clause, or it would be in the public domain?

Indeed......

I'm sure he wouldn't want the sum broadcast as it's not his normal settlement! So yes it was agreed I would keep quiet. How long for I do not believe was written, so I must dig out the paperwork again :detective:

However, the TV program will be going out in the spring last I heard....... 'The Legaliser'. Don't know how much will be edited out there so will watch with intrigue :unsure: I'm sure a couple of others will be also :ninja:

• 10 months later...