Barby Moorings and the Trade Description Act!!!!??

Annie Girl

Featured Posts

Why would anyone who has a lovely mooring on the canal want to move into a marina,surely this is what we all aspire to, is to own our little peace of heaven !! On the straight passed Barby Marina was earlier this year a plot 75' x 75' for sale with a narrowboat also for sale. They wanted 65k for the plot on its on, has no electric (they were getting their electric put in I beleive when Barby Marina was having theirs)

You almost used the 'N' word <_<

Lots of rumours flying as to why work has stopped on the 'Knowle Cut' but no hard facts.

Talking of "hard facts", isn't it a bit rich claiming "The scandal has been exposed in two narrowboatworld articles (The Barby Moorings shambles and Boaters deserting Barby)" when the first mention on NBW was 31 October and this thread started on 6 September?

That's the problem with professional journalists. Nick the story off here and publish it as their own work.

I notice a lot of our news gets republished in that narrowboat rag.

Members with two faces?

Edited by jelunga

Talking of "hard facts", isn't it a bit rich claiming "The scandal has been exposed in two narrowboatworld articles (The Barby Moorings shambles and Boaters deserting Barby)" when the first mention on NBW was 31 October and this thread started on 6 September?

I am not into point scoring on this. I believe that the more media attention given to Barby issue the better. It saves boaters being conned.

I am not into point scoring on this. I believe that the more media attention given to Barby issue the better. It saves boaters being conned.

You could have highlighted the issue and given credit where it's due, instead of claiming it on NBW's behalf.

I'm not point scoring. I'm stating "hard facts"

I quoted that article directly, yes.

Edited because I can't keep up with your edits so I won't bother.

I don't understand Carl's accusation of false claims so I will give the link again and this forum can make its own mind up -

Another Barby?

I would add that, unlike some others, I am very happy to to receive criticism (or plaudits) from this forum and consider the views expressed here of great value.

Please do not take that as an election speech!

Who owns the bat and who owns the ball?

Can we get the hijacked thread back to the real issue which is the Barby Moorings.

As someone who feels he has a vested interest in this topic I second the above comments.

Can anyone update me on the latest happenings etc on the site itself. How many boats are now moored there? have any new facilities been put in i e pontoons, fuel, pumpout, 24 hour electricity? Is there any movement on the quayside buildings etc. In other words everything promised over the last 18 months +

Frank

Certainly started something when I first put this on the forum, didn't I? I am glad it has informed people of what is happening at Barby, but feel sorry for the people who arrived to find it 'unfinished'. Dad was lucky to get out when he did.

Thank you all for adding to the comments and I note we were one up on the magazines for pointing out the situation.

Personally, as one affected by the Barby con - for that is what it is - I would rather the information appeared on as many sites and reached as many people as possible. One of the reasons Barby Moorings Ltd managed to retain credibility and still continues to this day to sell non-existent moorings was the appearance, in unchecked and unadulterated form, of various "blogs" and press releases/articles which word-for-word repeated the false claims made by the company's owners.

Consequently, any site or publication that describes the true situation at Barby has my blessing, regardless of whether or not the editorial or content was plagiarised, poached or borrowed - NBW is not the villain of this piece and we would be foolish lose this perspective and sideline the central issue - as far as I am concerned, the more publicity this scandal gets the better.

yet this very medium that you posted the claim picked up on the issue and even has had quotes lifted from it, to pad out NBW's articles.

especially after the editor had this to say about us

....It's a long time since I saw anything from that particular forum

I think it is important to highlight the inaccuracies, in any information, be it here or on the NBW blogsite.

The article you have linked to could prove damaging to a marina that may have merely stopped work for the winter. There is no evidence that any boater has suffered, yet, but may well do if the rumours spread.

The fact that Allan himself has pointed out that the article about the Solihull moorings was just kite flying, with no basis in fact, reinforces my point

Try reading this NBW article, in which the writer admits to passing on unverfied hearsay about Gloucester Docks as fact.

On Barby, we came past at the weekend and I was surprised how many boats are still there. There are still no pontoons or signs of buildings, and the sound of a generator could be heard; the only thing that's changed is that grass is growing. Whether they've actually seeded the site or it's just growing on its own, I don't know.

Just as some people wonder how they ever communicated before the invention of the mobile telephone, I am puzzled how some people managed to write anything before the invention of the "emoticon".

We heard, some time ago, that various bods had filed complaints to various official bodies about this McMaster cove. Has anyone received a constructive reply or been informed of any action being taken against the gentlemen? Or has anyone seen cop-cars and black Marias screeching into the "marina"?

I fear that things are getting out of hand. I am going to prune some of the off topic content. In future please keep to the point. this is a topic which is important to a number of our members.

Nick

Edited by Theo

Well done Nick, it's about time someone stepped in to stop this nonsense. This is meant to be an extremely important and informative topic concerning this so called marina.

I fear that things are getting out of hand. I am going to prune some of the off topic content. In future please keep to the point. this is a topic which is important to a numberof our members.

Nick

I have been rather heavy handed with the moderation of this topic. Some of the posts that I have unapproved were polite but not on the topic.

Please keep this one on topic.

Nick

Yes Sir. We'll stand to attention and salute, too.

No news of progress towards the downfall of this Mr. McMaster? I thought that some time ago it was reported that his business had gone into liquidation, yet it sounds as if he is still there and still in charge. How can that be?

No news of progress towards the downfall of this Mr. McMaster? I thought that some time ago it was reported that his business had gone into liquidation...

Company check (part of Companies House) states that the business is still active, but it says that about Ben Harp too, so possibly not a lot of use.

Tony