Barby Moorings and the Trade Description Act!!!!??

Annie Girl

Featured Posts

pelicanafloat, on 30 Nov 2013 - 10:26 AM, said:

The perfect video for the discerning mobile broadband :-)

Doorman, I just realised a great similarity to your avatar and the 'Wonga' advert. Just a thought to bounce your way smile.png

Blimey, we've been outed!

I don't quite know which is worse, being associated with ruthless exploiters of vulnerable people, or, as was first assumed, being a night club bouncer. In each case, i have neither the means nor the physique to be effectively successful.

Edited by Doorman

Well, can't say how pleased I am about how this thread has been going. Over 91.000 views - I really started something when I put this thread on here. Hope everything comes right for all involved. My dad has sold his boat now and become a 'landlubber' but we still follow this thread. Good luck to anyone who goes to Barby.

• 1 year later...

Barby Moorings was on TV again today.

Sat in the kitchen showroom our gaze was drawn to their telly as narrowboats were shown. BBC repeated The Legaliser this morning, which we watched later on catch up.

I did know some of the story, having read this post, and we cruised past a few times during 2010-2011. Their website now shows "restaurant will be" "The chandlery will be next to" etc

It's mooring prices are cheap (for a marina) at £1950 for a 60' boat, but I wonder how much longer those staying there will have to wait for improved facilities.

• 2 years later...
On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2015 at 18:06, MHS said:

Barby Moorings was on TV again today.

Sat in the kitchen showroom our gaze was drawn to their telly as narrowboats were shown. BBC repeated The Legaliser this morning, which we watched later on catch up.

I did know some of the story, having read this post, and we cruised past a few times during 2010-2011. Their website now shows "restaurant will be" "The chandlery will be next to" etc

It's mooring prices are cheap (for a marina) at £1950 for a 60' boat, but I wonder how much longer those staying there will have to wait for improved facilities.

Never had the courage to watch it throughout ,I looked a ====. Would have helped had they not edited the comment I made along the lines of "it was so unnecessary". In fact I said something along the lines of "It was all so unnecessary, all I wanted was a refund of my unused mooring fee" Still, that's show business:mellow::mellow:

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, b0atman said:

Is there any update on Barby moorings ?

Well a neighbouring boat moved out of there 12 months ago, with the boat owner alleging problems with the marina owners and their attitude. They reckoned they weren't the only ones.

Based on that I imagine things have not improved much.

During Cropredy festival week I met a couple who were on their way to take up a mooring there. I mentioned that there had been problems with the place, and the chap's reply was "A pontoon, a water tap and an Elsan disposal point is all we need". Has the marina been fully pontooned now?

16 minutes ago, b0atman said:

pontoon electric ,water, elsan & post then I am happy. Do i want Shower block, Toilet block, Club house NO.

People dont leave because of those, people leave because of the owners.

Allegedly.?

Edited by matty40s

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

People dont leave because of those, people leave because of the owners.

Allegedly.?

I've met a few who are happy there, either because it's cheap or because they only want the basics. I've met more who have left because that wasn't enough.

I prefer being in a friendly (but very quiet) marina where the staff are nice people that you can have a laugh and a joke with and who won't get nasty or throw you out if you are critical about anything.

3 hours ago, b0atman said:

pontoon electric ,water, elsan & post then I am happy. Do i want Shower block, Toilet block, Club house NO.

Web site still says

The quay side area near the canal entrance is the focus for most amenities. Upon its completion the main building will be situated on two levels with the upper level accommodating a comfortable restaurant / lounge bar overlooking the whole marina.

The rest of the building will open on to the quayside where showers, toilets, laundrette and a cafe will be sited. Next to this will be the chandlery/general store where you can get anything from bread, milk and morning papers to engine oil and rope.

We will also have two small retail units available for franchise for use as a gift shop or craft workshop.

Still seems to be trading more in futures than in gilts.

Been resident at Barby Moorings for 5 years. Facilities improve every year. All pontoons have dedicated metered electricity posts, water supply is shared between approximately 4 pontoons and is available 52 weeks a year so assume must be trace heated in the winter.  LPG, diesel, elsan and pump out are all available and more recently a few miscellaneous chandlery items. The owners are very obviously the owners who have reasonable rules and expectations of their moorers and provided they're treated with respect then respect is reciprocated. Incidently moorers have access to free pump outs. A newly completed workshop will eventually facilitate grit blasting, blacking and painting for up to 3 boats at a time in temperature controlled environment. Repeating very real stories from the past and often second hand hearsay I'm afraid no longer reflects the reality of this site. We along with many others are obviously happy as evidenced by the sites relatively high occupancy.  

• Greenie 2