Sabb oil change.

davidk65

Featured Posts

A friend of mine has recently bought a nb fitted with a single cylinder electric start Sabb. The space around the engine is very tight and it seems that even the smallest task is difficult (in my opinion). The information available indicates that; oil should be changed at 50 hours and as there is no filter, on oil change, a plate on the side of the engine has to be removed to "clean a magnet".

Since purchase, the engine has done 100 hours so an oil change was over due. The old oil was removed via the dipstick tube using a pump. The problem then was where did one put the fresh oil for the engine? The hand book indicated a plug low down on the side of the engine and like the plate that was supposed to be removed to clean magnets, was unreachable.

I suggested that that we remove the rocker box cover and pour the oil into the engine on the assumption that the oil would drain down in to the engine sump. This was rejected on the grounds, so my friend had been told, that the oil would then find it's way (via a casting which appears to have some thing to do with gear box and which is bolted to the engine) in to the gear box.

I left my friend pouring the oil down a small bore plastic pipe, via the dipstick tube, into the engine. It took for ever but he did it, but the plate could not be removed.

Can anyone shed light on the best way to do an oil change on this engine?

David.

A friend of mine has recently bought a nb fitted with a single cylinder electric start Sabb. The space around the engine is very tight and it seems that even the smallest task is difficult (in my opinion). The information available indicates that; oil should be changed at 50 hours and as there is no filter, on oil change, a plate on the side of the engine has to be removed to "clean a magnet".

Since purchase, the engine has done 100 hours so an oil change was over due. The old oil was removed via the dipstick tube using a pump. The problem then was where did one put the fresh oil for the engine? The hand book indicated a plug low down on the side of the engine and like the plate that was supposed to be removed to clean magnets, was unreachable.

I suggested that that we remove the rocker box cover and pour the oil into the engine on the assumption that the oil would drain down in to the engine sump. This was rejected on the grounds, so my friend had been told, that the oil would then find it's way (via a casting which appears to have some thing to do with gear box and which is bolted to the engine) in to the gear box.

I left my friend pouring the oil down a small bore plastic pipe, via the dipstick tube, into the engine. It took for ever but he did it, but the plate could not be removed.

Can anyone shed light on the best way to do an oil change on this engine?

David.

Talk to Johnno at UCC at Braunston. He is well versed in small Sabbs, and is a nice chap..

N

Talk to Johnno at UCC at Braunston. He is well versed in small Sabbs, and is a nice chap..

N

Thanks for that, Johnno is a nice chap.

A conversation with him was well worth tracking him down. He confirmed that oil should not be added to the engine via the rocker box cover.

Thanks Again.

Thanks for that, Johnno is a nice chap.

A conversation with him was well worth tracking him down. He confirmed that oil should not be added to the engine via the rocker box cover.

Thanks Again.

I'll just add that I had a Sabb for 10 years and cruised regularly. I only changed the oil twice a year and never had any problem. It's too much of a pain to do it as often as they suggest as doesn't strictly seem necessary.

Casp'