Mooring etiquette

Jamesb4uk

Featured Posts

More than happy for boats to moor alongside. I think it is a shame you couldn't moor where you wanted. Some people are just so precious about there boats.

Sue

I am precious about my boat, firstly its my home, and secondly, I have spent in access of 170 grand on it. Are you implying its wrong to treat my boat as precious?

Its actually vary rare for us to see another NB this far "down south",

We have 15 at our moorings & we're like a small community - we usually only see our boats going out or coming back.

Most we see are fiberglass jobs on the Medway until you get up to Yalding or Maidstone.

I'd be happy to let people breast up - and i would also assume that if people do they would treat the boats with respect not because of how much they are worth but as a fellow boater.

James

I am precious about my boat, firstly its my home, and secondly, I have spent in access of 170 grand on it. Are you implying its wrong to treat my boat as precious?

It's your boat, if you don't want to breast up stay on canals and it will probably never be an issue.For 170k I would expect a boat to have some means of attaching fenders to the superstructure.

PS: Are you the new owner of Whitefield? :cheers:

Edited by JDR

I would happily display a sticker if I could be sure that the crew breasted up would be considerate and quiet when crossing my boat. Unfortunately loud late night revels with top of the voice swearing and drunken games of tag across and around both boats have somewhat put me off.

Though I don't have my own boat yet (so feel free to disregard) I feel kind of like this- but more like 'if you can respect my boat when you moor and take care not to hurt it when tying up or getting across, then by all means, knock yourself out...'

More than happy for boats to moor alongside. I think it is a shame you couldn't moor where you wanted. Some people are just so precious about there boats.

Sue

Does that include what you term as "Hippies" on the GU? That is after your husband has threatened to "hit" them.

For me it has nothing to do with my boat being precious it is to do with the fact that I enjoy my privacy and being able to look out of my window without having to look at another boat double parked next to mine.

Does that include what you term as "Hippies" on the GU? That is after your husband has threatened to "hit" them.

For me it has nothing to do with my boat being precious it is to do with the fact that I enjoy my privacy and being able to look out of my window without having to look at another boat double parked next to mine.

Stay on the canals then.

Why I have cruised plenty of Rivers? Never had to double moor.

If you intend to moor on a river where moorings are scarse then you cant expect to not have to double moor. That is selfish and down right rude. You have no more right to moor than anyone else on the river. Just because you have not had the need to breast up yet doesnt mean you wont have to at some point and it could well be you struggling to find the mooring, lets just hope that you find someone who is less selfish and lets you moor alongside.

• Greenie 1

Reminds me of tying up in Weymouth harbour - we were number eight in a raft of nine boats all brested up. Secret is to have brest & shore lines plus maybe springs.

Imagine the amusement when the inner boat left at 6am - well that's when he started the move :D

Edited by richardhula

Just on the lighter side when you moor alongside to a boat on a river and the owners of the boat are agreeable.

Do you then check their ropes are secured to the bollards to your satisfaction?? given the now pull on two/three boats.

Where possible I always put my own separate lines out to the bank, certainly the facing upstream line, as well as tying to the next boat. OK for 2 or 3 boats, harder with 8 or 9.

George ex nb Alton retired

When we where breasted up, the other boat was tied to ours.

Before tying to us they asked was it ok and also asked us what time we wanted to leave next morning.

As we where waiting for an engineer from black prince to come and sort a problem with the boat next morning we told them the engineer was coming at 8am and we would be leaving as soon as he had fixed the problem.

So they waited for us next morning and we shared locks up the Severn to StourPort.

Another example of a little good will from both crews, oh and BTW this couple where considerate with noise and crossing our boat.

Just wish I could remember the name of the boat, so I could name and praise :cheers:

Just on the lighter side when you moor alongside to a boat on a river and the owners of the boat are agreeable.

Do you then check their ropes are secured to the bollards to your satisfaction?? given the now pull on two/three boats.

It is polite to put your own lines ashore to take the strain off the inner boats lines. We always carry a set of spare longer lines (20m) for this purpose.

came out of the pub the other day to find some eejit moored allongside on a very narrow stretch of canal making sure that no one else could pass bearing in mind that this is ireland and there is about 130 miles of boat free space to moor.this guy was so lazy or pig ignorant that he didnt even see the need to use two ropes so i went back in to the pub and told him i was moving on and would he mind moving his boat he said ''oh!just tie it to the jetty''.i then had to explain to him the difficulty of me moving my boat and trying to moor his one at a jetty at the same time.

It is polite to put your own lines ashore to take the strain off the inner boats lines. We always carry a set of spare longer lines (20m) for this purpose.

The first IWA National at Beale Park all boats were instructed to run their own mooring lines ashore and we were moored 6 deep

Very happy for anyone to moor alongside. The Hippy wanted us to move so he could have our space not to moor alongside.

Sue As we don't usually moor anywhere very long it doesn't inconvenience us for very long.

Sue

The first IWA National at Beale Park all boats were instructed to run their own mooring lines ashore and we were moored 6 deep

It isnt uncommon. The first time we were at Wells we were moored four out (four cruisers so further our than your six narrowboats :P ), luckily we had the longer lines with us as the harbour master insisted we ran our own lines to shore. It was only later when we saw the tide at full flow that we realised why. It could end in disaster if a raft of boats break loose there :huh:

• 3 weeks later...

(four cruisers so further our than your six narrowboats :P )

Hmmm... 4 cruisers would have to average 11' beam each to be wider than six narrowboats. I know NC's 8' 6", so that means the other 3 would have to average over 11' 6".

Tony

Hmmm... 4 cruisers would have to average 11' beam each to be wider than six narrowboats. I know NC's 8' 6", so that means the other 3 would have to average over 11' 6".

Tony

Indeed. The beam of a Sealine F42/5 is 14ft, the beam of a Sealine F420 is just under 14ft and the beam of a Sealine SC35 is a little under 13ft. So thats some 41ft plus NC's 8ft (actually 8'2") makes almost 50ft from the bank. Almost 10ft more than your six narrowboats. By the time you have taken account of the angle the rope goes to the bank, or in this case the pontoon, there wasnt a lot of spare rope left.

Cruisers can get away with a much fatter middle section than fat narrowboats before they start to look out of proportion. :cheers: