Mooring etiquette

Jamesb4uk

Featured Posts

Morning all,

Thought id have a look on this topic but cant see any definitive guides.

I took my NB out Saturday aiming to moor up at some public moorings - however the moorings were all taken with fiberglass day cruisers.

There was one other 50ft NB there however but didn't look as though anyone was home. i didn't feel comfortable mooring alongside which got me wondering.

Can we moor up along side if there's no one home?

James

Morning all,

Thought id have a look on this topic but cant see any definitive guides.

I took my NB out Saturday aiming to moor up at some public moorings - however the moorings were all taken with fiberglass day cruisers.

There was one other 50ft NB there however but didn't look as though anyone was home. i didn't feel comfortable mooring alongside which got me wondering.

Can we moor up along side if there's no one home?

James

Some will tell you that it is OK.

Others, me included, would say that unless signs say otherwise, it is bloody rude to tie up to another boat.

Some will tell you that it is OK.

Others, me included, would say that unless signs say otherwise, it is bloody rude to tie up to another boat.

I thought it didn't feel right which is why i headed back to my regular mooring rather than annoy anyone.

I was traveling back late & just managed to get back before sunset.

James

The last two times I've bought a Thames visitor licence they included a "Welcome - moor alongside" sticker. I keep one in the window although I only make a point of moving it to the offside on rivers where moorings are scarce.

I twice breasted up on the Yorkshire Ouse, once in York where an unoccupied boat displayed the same Thames sticker, and once in Boroughbridge where a moored boat offered to have me alongside as the mooring was full.

I was certainly grateful for those offers as it can be up to 3 1/2 hours cruising on the Yorkshire Ouse to the next suitable mooring, and there's no guarantee of space there either.

While tying to a tree or anchoring in the river is possible, I've only done it as a last resort.

When in this situation look out for a

'OK to breast up sign'

in a boat window - you see them occasionally.

We've 'welcome to moor alongside' stickers - you get them from Thames lock-keepers. They are great, anyone who needs to raft up with us then knows that we won't get our knickers in a twist about it.

They should do some more - how about 'I don't mind if you want to untie our boat and budge us up a bit so you can get your boat in.' (That might take the whole blimmin window up though).

I misread the topic title as "Mooning etiquette", which does cast a whole new light on the subject. The consensus appears to be that it's permissible out of the side windows.

Edited by Athy

Guest Quo Vadis

I misread the topic title as "Mooning etiquette", which does cast a whole new light on the subject. The consensus appears to be that it's permissible out of the side windows.

:clapping:

Also remember when mooning from the rear deck to keep out of swing of the tiller arm.

Seriously though it's default mode to breast up on busy river moorings and strongly advocated by the EA. I would always seek permission as a common courtesy but if light was fading I know most river users would be glad to see you moored safely.

On canals much rarer as there are miles of moorings available and it becomes a matter of convenience rather than safety. There should be a sticker for canals "I'm a curmudgeonly old git/anally retentive about my paint job don't even think about it."

Edited by JDR

There should be a sticker for canals "I'm a curmudgeonly old git/anally retentive about my paint job don't even think about it."

When we came back through London the other week the Little Venice moorings were full, all the way back to the bridge. When they get full, it really is standard practise to raft up - starting from the sani station and working backwards. We did come accross a notice in the window of one boat that implied just what you are saying! :cheers:

We moored up at Dapdune Wharf a fortnight ago and returned to find two unoccupied boats alongside. With 2 breasted up boats in front as well, we were rather hemmed in, so decided to just put the kettle on. It wasn't long before we only had 1 boat to move to enable us to leave, and we met the owners next day and shared locks. They thanked us for having tied them up securely when we left.

I don't mind boats tying up alongside, but I think it would be helpful, if they are going to leave them unattended, to leave a note saying how long they are likely to be.

J.

We end up rafted up most weekends at this time of year. Its a common occurance on river navigations where moorings are scarce. We have rafted against unoccupied boats before and have never had any trouble from the boats owners when they arrive back. You find that river dwellers are (on the whole) a sensible lot, the trouble generally occurs when canal dwellers venture onto a river and expect everything to be the same as on the canals when clearly it can not be. Although it is strange how they often change their tune when it is them looking for a mooring :rolleyes:

ETA: We are more than happy for other boats to raft to us whilst our boat is unoccupied. And to NB Steelaway we really did mean you could raft up to us at the weekend, it wouldnt have been a problem :cheers:

Edited by Phylis

We end up rafted up most weekends at this time of year. Its a common occurance on river navigations where moorings are scarce. We have rafted against unoccupied boats before and have never had any trouble from the boats owners when they arrive back. You find that river dwellers are (on the whole) a sensible lot, the trouble generally occurs when canal dwellers venture onto a river and expect everything to be the same as on the canals when clearly it can not be. Although it is strange how they often change their tune when it is them looking for a mooring :rolleyes:

It is good to see that you understand the difference between rivers and canals now.

How is the bridge document doing?

Just one tip - if you are moored on the inside and want to get away early for what ever reason, make sure the folks on the outside understand what's going to happen to them at that ungodly hour you intend to move off...

(But it could make an entertaining video if they decide to "jump ship" just after you've cleared your escape route)

We've 'welcome to moor alongside' stickers - you get them from Thames lock-keepers. They are great, anyone who needs to raft up with us then knows that we won't get our knickers in a twist about it.

They should do some more - how about 'I don't mind if you want to untie our boat and budge us up a bit so you can get your boat in.' (That might take the whole blimmin window up though).

Excellent

:)

Thanks all - i see there is a mix of opinions to this subject.

At my normal mooring i'm tied up to another NB, we see it as an excuse to natter & stick the kettle on or have a beer! they've walked my boat back a few times to get out & have always let me know & taken care to tie back up.

however i do realize that different people have different views so shall be looking for signs in the future.

last thing i want to do is annoy fellow boaters :)

James

Rivers and coastal, it is not only acceptable but often essential (I do hate doing it, though).

I have never breasted up with anyone, on a canal, except with friends, by prior arrangement, or at a waterpoint.

In 28 years I have never found it necessary.

More than happy for boats to moor alongside. I think it is a shame you couldn't moor where you wanted. Some people are just so precious about there boats.

Sue

Yes and it is often the very same people who at the end of a long days cruising complain that they cant get on the mooring they want to :rolleyes: