moving up at locks

granddad

Featured Posts

when there's only space for 2 or 3 boats to wait at locks why dont people move up to the lock. Then later arrivers can get access to a bollard and secure themselves. Surely its just common sense and good manners. This last month I've seen it 10 times.

When you are the next to access the lock, move up close to the lock and tie the boat up on the centre mooring. No-one can ask you to move up then. When you start to enter the lock go ahead and with the stem post on the coping stone slide along said stone and enter the lock.

Ken

when there's only space for 2 or 3 boats to wait at locks why dont people move up to the lock. Then later arrivers can get access to a bollard and secure themselves. Surely its just common sense and good manners. This last month I've seen it 10 times.

When you are the next to access the lock, move up close to the lock and tie the boat up on the centre mooring. No-one can ask you to move up then. When you start to enter the lock go ahead and with the stem post on the coping stone slide along said stone and enter the lock.

Ken

......and where does the oncoming crew get back on their boat? :banghead:

Where do you cruise??

We have always noticed boats normally move up

Yes, they do in my experience too.

This appears to be yet another 'something very minor annoyed me a bit today and i want to hang on to that sense of annoyance so i'm going to have a whinge on the internets' thread

To the OP: Did anything good happen to you today? Why dont you tell us about that

I'm just counting how many parts of that advice I disagree with

Richard

Me too, hes probably got a fifty footer and doesnt understand that a seventy footer trying to get in from the side of the lock entrance is not so easy they dont bend too easily and why does he need a bollard to tie up to ? I very rarely tie up its easier to hover and go in when the females have opened the lock gates. :D

When you are the next to access the lock, move up close to the lock and tie the boat up on the centre mooring.

You don't work uphill through the deeper locks on the Grand Union very often then, I assume ?

Or perhaps you do, but are fond of having your cupboards emptied out as bottom paddles are drawn promptly!

...why does he need a bollard to tie up to ? I very rarely tie up its easier to hover and go in when the females have opened the lock gates. :D

Some of us like to tie up to a bollard so we can nip in and have a wee or, if its a bit of a queue, a cuppa.

You don't work uphill through the deeper locks on the Grand Union very often then, I assume ?

Or perhaps you do, but are fond of having your cupboards emptied out as bottom paddles are drawn promptly!

Yeah, its somewhat alarming when that happens. Even the deeper narrow locks can catch a boat. I've started tying up at the front when waiting at the front for them

I don/t mind people who don't move up at locks (though in my experience most do). I do mind people who stay in or alongside their boats and watch the boat in front work through the lock, rather than helping and thus speeding the boat through so that they too can get through more quickly. Single-handers I can understand, but families of four or five do this also.

Idle sods.

I'm with you on this one, lot less bother with a hover rolleyes.gif

You would need to be a determined hoverer at some of the locks we had to wait for on our recent trip.

E.g. a 10 boat, 2 hour wait to go up Minshull lock on the Middlewich branch.

Agree in principle, but sometimes waiting at the side can save a lot of fuel, if you can see a very long delay.

Let us know the next time you're going down Somerton Deep or Etruria top :rolleyes:

Somerton deep is dead easy. The crew get on under the bridge as the boat is leaving the lock. Why would you go anywhere near the lower layby?

On the Llangollen the bywash should be treated with respect - boats can get swept across the canal entering or leaving the lock - I tend to hang back a bit when I am waiting!

2008-06-05-110252.jpg

In fairness though, the Llangollen is an exception as it's primary function is to have water flowing down it. 99% of all other bywashes around the system aren't a problem

Why would the crew need to get back on at Etruria top lock when lock 2 is only yards away... :closedeyes:

When we went up Marsworth a few weeks back we shared with another boat - they got on between locks!

I was doing my head in :wacko:

In fairness though, the Llangollen is an exception as it's primary function is to have water flowing down it. 99% of all other bywashes around the system aren't a problem

There's one at Marple that can be a complete pig if running fast.

I'm with you on this one, lot less bother with a hover rolleyes.gif

Same here and nine times out of ten if I do have a need to pull in I just hold the boat in with the centre line and if I need a wee if there are no other boats around go once the boat is in the lock telling the OH who usually works the locks to wait until she See's me back at the tiller before opening the paddles.

If there are other boats wanting to use the lock as well I will pull over further down the canal and the wife holds the boat by the centre line while I do what I have to do.

The OH won't drive the boat because she does not have the confidence to drive it.

Although I am trying to convince her to have a go

if I need a wee if there are no other boats around go once the boat is in the lock telling the OH who usually works the locks to wait until she See's me back at the tiller before opening the paddles.

I always thought that one of the few reasons for steering from out on the counter was to enable you to perform that bodily function whilst on the move (gentlemen only of course!)

George ex nb Alton retired

Isn't it easier for all if the new arrival takes whatever space has recently been vacated, regardless of its precise position? It is not too hard to remember whose turn is next without forming a conventional queue.

Each boat moving up every time the lock is worked is more bother, and liable to increase congestion with boats proceeding in the opposite direction when the lock is already busy; where crews are small, it could also delay/reduce the personnel available for working the lock efficiently and thus otherwise reducing the queue.

Ian