Ancient Cereal Rolls

Mac of Cygnet

Featured Posts

Just bought some of these from the Co-op at Misterton. They weren't expensive, but have the longest list of unusual ingredients I've seen in any brown roll. Among the usual things, they contain Einkorn, Emner, Spelt, Rye, Millet, Linseed, Sunflwer seed, Sugar beet fibre, Barley malt, Honey, Spelt wholemeal sourdough. They're really good, and I'd like to experiment with bread containing some of these, but where on earth would you get them?

Mac

Just bought some of these from the Co-op at Misterton. They weren't expensive, but have the longest list of unusual ingredients I've seen in any brown roll. Among the usual things, they contain Einkorn, Emner, Spelt, Rye, Millet, Linseed, Sunflwer seed, Sugar beet fibre, Barley malt, Honey, Spelt wholemeal sourdough. They're really good, and I'd like to experiment with bread containing some of these, but where on earth would you get them?

Mac

Big supermarkets have spelt & rye flours and some of the seeds. The sourdough you would make yourself.

Never heard of einkorn or emner, I'll look them up later.

Tim

Yes, the internet is ideal for small and high-value items, but: 1Kg 5-seed mix £1.75 Postage £5

It's emmer, by the way, although it said emner on the label.

Depending on where you are it usually works out cheaper to pay the postage than travel to where you can get more exotic ingredients.

I pay £7 inc postage for 250g of coffee beans because it would cost a fortune to travel to the only place that imports them.

Sounds stupid when a jar of Nescafe is only a couple of quid but I wouldn't pay tuppence for that.

• 4 months later...

Einkorn & Emner? Aren't they a firm of solicitors?

:lol:

Mac

Apart from the Spelt, Rye and Barley, it sounds as though someone is trying to make a go at some gluten free bread!!! Having said that, I'm not sure what Einkorn and Emmer are ;)

:lol:

Apart from the Spelt, Rye and Barley, it sounds as though someone is trying to make a go at some gluten free bread!!! Having said that, I'm not sure what Einkorn and Emmer are ;)

So, having looked it up on good old Wiki... "Einkorn is the oldest and most primitive cultivated wheat, and recent studies have shown that it appears to lack gliadin toxicity" (which means it could be okay for Coeliacs/gluten intolerant); Emmer apparently is another type of ancient wheat which, on the other hand, is not good for Coeliacs! :D Sorry chaps and chapesses; I'm a food and cooking nut and I get a bit carried away, so I might pop up here occasionally. Sorry... again ;)

Einkorn wheat (from German Einkorn, literally "single grain") can refer either to the wild species of wheat, Triticum boeoticum (the spelling baeoticum is also common), or to the domesticated form, Triticum monococcum. The wild and domesticated forms are either considered separate species, as here, or as subspecies of T. monococcum. Einkorn is a diploid species of hulled wheat, with tough glumes ('husks') that tightly enclose the grains. The cultivated form is similar to the wild, except that the ear stays intact when ripe and the seeds are larger.

Emmer wheat (Triticum dicoccum), also known as farro especially in Italy, is a type of awned wheat. It was one of the first crops domesticated in the Near East. It was widely cultivated in the ancient world, but is now a relict crop in mountainous regions of Europe and Asia.

Both from Wiki

Blast - didn't read Dragonboat posted - serves me right

Edited by Bazza2

So, having looked it up on good old Wiki... "Einkorn is the oldest and most primitive cultivated wheat, and recent studies have shown that it appears to lack gliadin toxicity" (which means it could be okay for Coeliacs/gluten intolerant); Emmer apparently is another type of ancient wheat which, on the other hand, is not good for Coeliacs! :D Sorry chaps and chapesses; I'm a food and cooking nut and I get a bit carried away, so I might pop up here occasionally. Sorry... again ;)

Not a problem. Useful info