More residential moorings....?

welshmike

Featured Posts

Let's face it, there is no money for the canals. I know lots would like to have them as their own private 'model train set' where they can dress up and play at pretend working boats without any interruptions from fishermen, cyclists and pesky hippies on tatty boats, but we can't can we?, it won't pay the bills. There is going to have to be a compromise isn't there?

Well, there are no more handouts from the government. Those days have gone which does leave it all in the lap of the Gods which is why it is so important that all those who care about the canals stands up and says so. Otherwise it will become open to the moneyspinning speculation of the Butlins holiday camps of the leisure industry and then it will just be a case of 'follow the money'. The waterways do not yet have the protection of National Trust status but they should. It should be a conservation, protected trust where people who live on the waterways meet a criteria to contribute and support the natural environment.

Yes, but they were not British.

Their Nations did not send them to fight in WWII because they were compelled to do so by the UK government, but because their own sovereign government made that choice.

And their head of state was the King. The British king. Their sovereign.

ETA: Many indigenous Brits did not fight because they were compelled to. They volunteered.

Edited by sebrof

I feel a quircky comment is in the air, ( watch out, mattys about )

I agree with everything.....

except for some of the bits.

Having also been involved with the LondonBoaters early on, before moving swiftly on my continuous progressive journey,it had been great watching BW change it's way of thinking to embrace change.

Not all of it will work, not all of it will happen at all, however, greater interaction and partnership can only be good for the canals in their parlous state. There are still red herrings, like the roving mooring permits LPMO........(a Licence to Piss Mayall Off), which need to be carefully handled, but as LadyMuck says, there is acres of suitable mooring sites, and little or no boat movements 10 months of the year(I did the whole L&S in March, in fantastic weather, and only saw 5 boats moving in a week)

I was. Maybe you are not aware but immigrants become UK citizens. I became a citizen in 1973 though I could have done so earlier but stuck with Right of Abode until I was certain. My ex stuck with Right of Abode for about 10 years and then became a citizen in 1993.

Stop being ridiculous.

First, we were talking about immigrants, not citizens.

Second, immigrants do not automatically become citizens. They have to apply, and they have to be accepted. By way of example, one immigrant who I believe has still not been accepted is Mohamed Fayed.

Like Carl, you are twisting words around to suit your purposes, and it does you no credit.

I don't want to keep harping on but I think ninac might start with an apology to all us African immigrants.

For what, exactly?

Indeed it is - which means that those who do not agree with Nina suddenly do not capitulate and say ' oh sorry you are right and we are wrong ' instead they offer a differing set of opinions and views...

Yes, and we are waiting for that to happen. Instead we've just had insults from the labelling brigade.

I am not lying.

Having witnessed racist violence at first hand I would put nothing past them.

Considering her previous racist comments and there being no hint of humour in her posts I'm afraid the wish to do harm was evident, even if it was unlikely that she would actually carry out the deed.

My last word on the matter. You are a troll and I have no wish to engage in your crap any more.

I'm a troll, Nina's a racist, somebody else is a bigot.

Try discussing instead of labelling.

an ismist is a very tiny-minded person, usually one with severe tunnel vision.

Didn't Ghandi condemn "ism" in promoting a unified India?

I would contend that "ismism" is in fact far more broadminded and certainly more forward thinking than your stance

Do your worst!

You're old enough to have resigned yourself to a world you don't seek to change. Maybe you never have thought that change would e for the better. Whichever way resignation is as ad, if not worse than "ism"; it fails to challenge the "isms" and ends up protecting them instead.

Resignation was what Pastor Niedmoller challenged...

Edited by Smelly

You're old enough to have resigned yourself to a world you don't seek to change. Maybe you never have thought that change would be for the better. Whichever way resignation is as bad, if not worse than "ism"; it fails to challenge the "isms" and ends up protecting them instead.

Now I am offended. You are making incorrect assumptions.

Now I am offended. You are making incorrect assumptions.

Such as?

If not resigned then apathetic.

If the latter why do you take a stance against people who aren't?

Whether resigned or apathetic neither prove a defence against defending people who preach, either explicitly or implicitly, the kind of racial hatred we've seen.

Some people have taken a stand against such racial hatred, I invite you to defend your stance against the same and the best you can provide is "just because". Sorry Maffi; that is poor and your berating people who stand forth merits criticism.

As such I wonder what assumptions I make... Only the evidence you have provided found them, if they are eventually found to be so...

Off to ed now... nn

• Greenie 1

Two wrongs dont make a right, Carl.

Wishing ill on someone, because of their race, is a wrong.

Objecting to such prejudice is a right.

And Maffi is right, we are all entitled to our own opinion, but if you have a controversial opinion. (and yes I am very shocked at that opinion and I've lived in London for 20 years), don't be surprised if you get some flack for it.

I agree with Maffi.

We are all entitled to our opinion, however distasteful, and I have always been happy to discuss race and racism, here and elsewhere.

Ninac went one step further and made comments that clearly expressed a wish to commit racially motivated violence, which is contrary to both the rules of this forum and the law.

She makes you an open offer to debate the subject outside of this forum, you decline, preferring perhaps to continue it on here, where you can possibly draw help from a few others on here? Classic bullying culture!

I declined and this is consistent with posts I have made in the past stating that I am not in favour of the PM system unless it is for personal reasons such as arranging to meet for a drink, debating should be done in the forum not behind closed doors.

Who's side are you on? You're African but live in Britain yet you think immigration is not a problem??? As a business owner, every day I have young people of all races and nationalities asking me for a job. We have young Somali's, Pakistani's, British, Japanese, sorry if I have missed anyone, you all deserve the same chance if you're prepared to work.

There are too many people here already. We are an island. We cannot take anymore people if the system is on overload. When the government and local authorities are talking about housing people on canals, WE ARE IN DEEP TROUBLE.

Cotswoldsman, if you're a British citizen, are you now British living life on British terms or are you African? Hard question I know. I'm British, lived abroad but I stood by my adopted countries policies and race during the time I was there. In Britain, I am British and have no problem defending my nationality to the last breath. I expect every other person who lives in Britain to do the same. You know how it is? When in Rome??

So where's your loyalty if you don't mind me asking the humble question? You said you didn't mind keeping it on the forum so I thought I'd ask.

I am British of African dissent. If you are subjecting me to the Norman Tebbit "Cricket Test" then I support British Teams unless they are playing South Africa.

I have also employed many Nationalities in my time and not long before I retired helped 2 Asylum seekers become British Citizens by employing them and ensuring they had proper legal representation.

Such as?

If not resigned then apathetic.

If the latter why do you take a stance against people who aren't?

Whether resigned or apathetic neither prove a defence against defending people who preach, either explicitly or implicitly, the kind of racial hatred we've seen.

Some people have taken a stand against such racial hatred, I invite you to defend your stance against the same and the best you can provide is "just because". Sorry Maffi; that is poor and your berating people who stand forth merits criticism.

As such I wonder what assumptions I make... Only the evidence you have provided found them, if they are eventually found to be so...

Off to ed now... nn

Everybody has a right to be defended. You seek to deny people rights you demand for yourself.

Wishing ill on someone, because of their race, is a wrong.

Objecting to such prejudice is a right.

I agree with Maffi.

We are all entitled to our opinion, however distasteful, and I have always been happy to discuss race and racism, here and elsewhere.

Ninac went one step further and made comments that clearly expressed a wish to commit racially motivated violence, which is contrary to both the rules of this forum and the law.

Oh for God sake read what she said. Nina C has no intention of killing anyone, but it seems to me she is frustrated at what she sees as problem that no one wants to fix.

There's is not one of you self important procrastinators has anything to say after the first few post. You are all just verbally slapping around a woman and thats bad. Dont get on your high horse because you are no better that anyone else.

I now know why I don't come here often.

• Greenie 1

Oh for God sake read what she said.

I did and the racist rubbish that she came out with earlier did not make one suspect she was joking, when she mentioned violence later.

You might find what she said acceptable...I don't.

I will never convince ninac that her racist views are wrong. She will never convince me that her stance is not racist.

I doubt whether your interjections will change either of our minds, either (mine certainly not)

Dont get on your high horse

Pot, kettle, black, Maffi.

You only ever post when you think some poor forum member needs you to come to your defence, on your great charger.

"Here comes Maffi, riding in to right the wrongs, caused by people who just thought they were having a discussion, on a forum...Our Hero!"

2081_picture_of_a_white_knight_in_red_plummage_on_a_white_horse.jpg

You are all just verbally slapping around a woman and thats bad.

Yes, you'd never see Maffi "verbally slapping around a woman"....He's a real gent...

You seem to be a total waste of good oxygen. Go and get a job or get back to your knitting.

To the bank you stupid woman!

Pay attention and learn something.....Is your iron hot yet?

Thick as pig shit!!!

Edited by carlt
  • Greenie 1

Not sure why but Nina C has seen fit to post this on my wall.

Do you think it's wise to give the name and location of your boat if you're a live aboard on a forum? If you haven't got residential status I mean :-) Just a thought seeing as you're so visible.

I guess it's a veiled threat but just to be clear, I have full residential status and pay council tax to boot. I have nothing to hide.

It was suggested that I re read my posts in this thread, so I did last night. I stand by every word.