Short locks and a long narrowboat..tips..

Featured Posts

We have had a great couple of days boating down from the top of Bingley 5 rise down to Rodley today.

The flight locks in particular have been tight length wise, Barry on the 5 rise asked me to stay on the front of the boat and after the shorter boat coming down with us left each chamber push the bow away from the side and with Jan holding the boat as far back as possible it was possible to open the gate past the bow.

We did the same coming down the 3 rise...and the following couple of flights of locks... this too was with a shorter boat coming down with us.

Any tips for coming down on our own would be appreciated

(I can't be a human bow thruster and open the gate at the same time)

ETA - The Dog House is a 60ft boat....

Edited by MJG

We came down there with a 62ft boat in the Spring without any major problems. We managed alright with the long boat in the lock first and out last. The biggest problem we had was the leakage through the gates at the rear of the boat which flooded into the bilge on both boats.

I would add that we had a crew of just three between the two boats so we needed to be a bit agile in opening and closing gates and moving the boats.

That said, the lockies were quite happy to work one gate of each pair so it wasn't too bad.

That said, the lockies were quite happy to work one gate of each pair so it wasn't too bad.

Cheers - and they were great with us too.

But I was asking about coming down just 'two up' ...not down the manned Bingley locks.

Take the bow line off as you go into the lock.

You can use the line to pull the boat back and across. (What I have done on the C&H with a 60' boat)

Cheers - I'll try that - the locks in question are very deep though, perhaps I need longer bow line,,,

Can't you get the missus to walk to the front and push the bow over before returning to the tiller to drive out?

Also worth a try

- her (well known name on here) is Jan BTW

but thanks.