Scrap metal petition

NB Alnwick

Featured Posts

Below is a link to a scrap metal petition that I think is well worth

supporting considering the high rate of metal thefts, not least from

heritage sites that can ill afford the loss.

The ease in which thieves can convert stolen metal items into cash is also a threat to boaters.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/406

scrap metal petition

After completing all the documentation, some petitioners have received a note saying the petition closes 8/8/11! Nevertheless, I have just managed to add my name to the petition on 20/8/11.

After completing all the documentation, some petitioners have received a note saying the petition closes 8/8/11! Nevertheless, I have just managed to add my name to the petition on 20/8/11.

Graham read it again it closes on 8/8/12, you've got nearly a year :cheers:

Steve

As with most things those who are determined to avoid the rules will find a way of beating the system. If the idea of this petition were to be implemented it would achieve nothing more than another expensive layer of bureaucracy and cost for those legitimately going about their business.

I visited a scrapyard yesterday to weigh in all the crap from my shed. My vehicle is on CCTV, and so am I. The transaction was recorded on a computer, and a printed invoice with my name, address, and vehicle registration was issued. Totally traceable.

We already have more than enough legislation in this country to deal with almost any event. No more is needed.

Detection, prosecution and punishment is the answer, not bureaucracy.

Don't get me wrong. I get as mad as hell when I see chuches and war memorials being desecrated for the sake of a few shillings.

As with most things those who are determined to avoid the rules will find a way of beating the system. If the idea of this petition were to be implemented it would achieve nothing more than another expensive layer of bureaucracy and cost for those legitimately going about their business.

I visited a scrapyard yesterday to weigh in all the crap from my shed. My vehicle is on CCTV, and so am I. The transaction was recorded on a computer, and a printed invoice with my name, address, and vehicle registration was issued. Totally traceable.

We already have more than enough legislation in this country to deal with almost any event. No more is needed.

Detection, prosecution and punishment is the answer, not bureaucracy.

Don't get me wrong. I get as mad as hell when I see chuches and war memorials being desecrated for the sake of a few shillings.

I agree what is need is more enforcement, and the cps to prosecute more cases, the police and councils know which scrap yards are involved in the black market trade.

How long will it be before whole boats are stolen to be 'recycled' for their metal content ? What's 14 tons of steel worth these days...

The latest international price for 'heavy mill' (mixed or contaminated iron & steel) is $435 a tonne. So a 14 tonne boat would be worth around $7,000 or just over £4,250.

Many have taken greater risks for less . . .

The latest international price for 'heavy mill' (mixed or contaminated iron & steel) is $435 a tonne. So a 14 tonne boat would be worth around $7,000 or just over £4,250.

Many have taken greater risks for less . . .

As criminal master plans go, I can't really see lifting narrowboats from the cut catching on.

You would need a crane and a trombone artic trailer. Hardly inconspicuous. Assuming you get away with a boat you then have to take it to somewhere to strip it an chop it up. Again you are likely to be seen.

All that effort and risk for less than £ 5000:00

Alternatively, five grands worth of copper will fit in a transit van.

Below is a link to a scrap metal petition that I think is well worth

supporting considering the high rate of metal thefts, not least from

heritage sites that can ill afford the loss.

The ease in which thieves can convert stolen metal items into cash is also a threat to boaters.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/406

scrap metal petition

Only problem I see is that not long after the petition ends the bank are dumping cheques

Keep hearing conflicting statements about that. Radio 4 recently announced otherwise. " cheque books are staying". I hope so.

Cheques & cheque books may be staying but the cheque guarantee card had already gone. From 31st July, the banks announced that they will no longer honour cheque guarantee cards which in turn means that most retailers will no longer accept cheques, as there's no guarantee they'll get the money.

To go off at a tangant............was it worth weighing your scrap in? We have quite a bit thats accumulated over the years and I've been trying to get him indoors to do this.

I am sure it said 8/8/11 when I first looked . . .

Haven't you looked under 'virtual pub' and ...the 'do you believe in ghosts' thread ?

Maybe....you thought it was 8/8/11 and then.............the unseen hand...........

:unsure:

bob

is it worth it? £15 cash for 3 old batteries last week. chap turned away 2 characters who arrived on foot with a bag full of scrap. commented that I thought this was great, another local scrapyard allow anyone thru the gate. he showed me some mugshots behind the desk of about 20 known metal thieves (aka bagheads) 6 of them worked in the dodgy yard.

Or you could just put all the Pikeys in prison. That would stop it :lol:

First they came for the Pikeys and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Pikey. ....

Then they came for the Narrowboaters...

Edited by TimD