MALVERN

pete harrison

Featured Posts

'Admiral Class' narrow boats are never off topic ! In my opinion these boats should have their own subsection within this Forum.

In that case how about Mountbatern and Jellico for you

Can anybody tell me whether British Waterways still have this as a maintenance boat - based in the North West (often in the Anderton Lift area) ?

Please do not confuse this boat with the counter sterned house boat of the same name which is the F.M.C. Ltd. horse boat and is usually on the lower Grand Union Canal (and yes I know the original stern of MALVERN is now the stern of AUSTRALIA).

I can tell you C&RT have no interest in selling Malvern

I fairly certain they still have it. I can give you Jim Taylors number if you want to know for sure.

I know Jim has fought hard to keep the old boats as from what I understand they are the only ones they have that can take two sets of gates (so they can lift the old set off and put them in the boat and then lift the new set out - meaning less boats/boat movements required).

Jim doesnt work for waterways anymore he left nigh on a year ago, was at BCLM this weekend.

• 3 months later...

Just a quick hello first of all, I am Glenn Young CRT's volunteer leader in North Wales and Borders and ended up here because I was looking for a little bit of history on Malvern, so I was delighted to see the topic and learn a little more. The reason I was looking is that Malvern is now the volunteering team's workboat and hopefully you will be seeing it out and about a lot more on the Shroppy and at a festival or two.

We are already in the process of forming up a group of volunteers to crew and carry out general upkeep tasks, and i am very keen that where possible we retain all of the historic features of the boat including the current blue and yellow livery.

I am very interested to know if anyone can answer the following questions in particular;

• What are the closest pantone references for the blue and yellow livery?
  • Would Malvern have had a set of covers with a ridge (forgive me not knowing the correct terms)?
  • Any details of Malverns working history beyond what is already in this thread, crew members, areas of work, notable events involving the boat?

Everyone involved so far is very keen to keep Malvern looking good and working well, and also to learn a good bit of history that we can pass on to people at volunteer events, festivals etc. If you can help with any information or would be interested in helping care for Malvern please do contact me at CRT North Wales and Borders. Of very special interest is anyone who can whip up a nice bit of sign writing, I am afraid that if I have a go it won't end particularly well.

Many thanks

Glenn

Just a quick hello first of all, I am Glenn Young CRT's volunteer leader in North Wales and Borders and ended up here because I was looking for a little bit of history on Malvern, so I was delighted to see the topic and learn a little more. The reason I was looking is that Malvern is now the volunteering team's workboat and hopefully you will be seeing it out and about a lot more on the Shroppy and at a festival or two.

I am very interested to know if anyone can answer the following questions in particular;

• Would Malvern have had a set of covers with a ridge (forgive me not knowing the correct terms)?
  • Any details of Malverns working history beyond what is already in this thread, crew members, areas of work, notable events involving the boat?

Many thanks

Glenn

MALVERN was fitted with standard running gear when in full time trade with 'British Waterways'. This would have comprised of 2 back end beams, 3 standard beams, 4 running planks, 2 stands, 1 mast and case complete with a luby, 8 uprights, 1 false cratch and 6 (or 8) slats, 1 deckboard, 2 side cloths, 3 top cloths, 1 tippet (sometimes in 2 or 3 pieces).

MALVERN's first steerer is recorded as being Joseph Tolley, but it was subsequently steered by Charlie Atkins Snr. (more often associated with MENDIP) as can be seen is several period photographs published in NarrowBoat magazine Winter 2012 pages 34 to 36.

edit - MALVERN operated within 'British Waterways' North Western Division (Southern) carrying fleet when in full time trade. This means it carried on the canals between Birmingham / Black Country and Ellesmere Port / Runcorn / Manchester, concentrating on the B.C.N., Shropshire Union Canal and Trent and Mersey Canal. I do however have two photographs taken by Jim Payler in about 1958 of MALVERN passing through Gayton on the Grand Union Canal - well off its normal routes.

Edited by pete harrison

We are already in the process of forming up a group of volunteers to crew and carry out general upkeep tasks, and i am very keen that where possible we retain all of the historic features of the boat including the current blue and yellow livery.

Everyone involved so far is very keen to keep Malvern looking good and working well, and also to learn a good bit of history that we can pass on to people at volunteer events, festivals etc. If you can help with any information or would be interested in helping care for Malvern please do contact me at CRT North Wales and Borders. Of very special interest is anyone who can whip up a nice bit of sign writing, I am afraid that if I have a go it won't end particularly well.

Many thanks

Glenn

John Edwards at CRT Fazeley office has the correct BS numbers for the Blue and Yellow traffic livery, 01827 252077 will reach him.

Pete, Laurence, thank you both very much for the information. I shall follow up those leads.

Pete, are those photographs uploaded anywhere I can see them? Would really like to get a collection of pictures together for a display board.

Edited by GYoung

Pete, are those photographs uploaded anywhere I can see them? Would really like to get a collection of pictures together for a display board.

I haven't yet worked out how to do a link from within this forum - go to the current 'History and Heritage' page, down near the bottom there is a link to Jim Paylers albums.

eta - Mrs.Payler still lives in Blisworth, so if you wanted to use her late husbands photos, it might be best to contact her first, although obviously you can view them without requesting permmission.

Edited by Mike Tee

Pete, Laurence, thank you both very much for the information. I shall follow up those leads.

The photographs of MALVERN published in NarrowBoat magazine Winter 2012 should be easily available by purchasing a back issue. I was supplied with digital versions of these photographs a few months prior to publication so that I could pass comment and assist with the captions.

As Mike Tee has stated one of Jim Payler's photographs of MALVERN is available from another thread within this section of the Forum. I was fortunate to have been in contact with Jim Payler a few years ago and he gave me hundreds of his digital images in return for some work I did for him.

Although I have all of these photographs within my collection they are not mine to give away, or to encourage the reproduction of elsewhere.

Edited by pete harrison

Again,

Thank you all very much for all the information. I will obviously be sensitive about the use of photographs and seek permission. I am also curious as to whether Mrs Payler remembers any stories told by her late husband when returning home from work that would create some great living history. Dave I will give you a call next week if I may, and Pete thanks again, I will have a look and then perhaps I could seek permission from Mrs Payler, would that be appropriate?

Many thanks

Glenn

My understanding from when I visited the exhibition of the late Jim Payler's photographs that was held in Blisworth last year is that permission to use the images will usually be granted, provided the use is not for profit, and the source is correctly credited.

Unfortunately, like so many images, I increasingly see some of these pictures appearing without a credit to the photographer - it is not hard to understand why some people who have access to interesting photos are not prepared to release them for others to see, but despite that Mrs Payler seemed genuinely keen that Jim's photos should be available

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Greetings from a new member. We certainly haven't seen that Malvern around but can confirm that the old FM & C Malvern is for sale at Harefield Marina. We were going to buy it but things conspired against us at the time and we withdrew. I think we rather regret that now as looking back on the video clips we took on board she has been beautifully fitted out.

It really is hard to imagine though, sitting in the stern cabin that the whole family may have shared this tiny, really tiny accomodation. Just a stove and a few small cupboards and a pull out bed. No romancing about lfe on the canals here, just hard hard times.

Welcome, but 'times' are whatever you make of them. Some of our best have been in a back cabin. Most of what you possess in a space in which you can touch all walls, and yet extends beyond as you can take it anywhere on the cut, like the proverbial snail or tortoise. No matter how much space you have, it always gathers 'stuff' to the point of not being able to do without. Cutting back can be hard, but the benefits great.

It really is hard to imagine though, sitting in the stern cabin that the whole family may have shared this tiny, really tiny accomodation. Just a stove and a few small cupboards and a pull out bed.

Ironically the back cabin of this MALVERN is longer than standard and feels very spacious, at least that is my memory of the last time I was in this cabin back in 2007.

This reminds me of an unidentified boat seen on the Shroppie in the late eighties - was it MALVERN?

MotorShroppieGeneral033Small_zps5ff176ad

MotorShroppieGeneral034Small_zps38d0d4bf

Pretty sure this is Malvern as the back end rail is absent and that is the same a picture I have from around 1980.

This reminds me of an unidentified boat seen on the Shroppie in the late eighties - was it MALVERN?

MotorShroppieGeneral033Small_zps5ff176ad

MotorShroppieGeneral034Small_zps38d0d4bf

I don't know what this boat is, but it isn't Malvern. The shape of josher motors evolved over the years, and the very late boats were distinctive in the shape of both ends, especially the counters, the top band of which was much deeper than any of the earlier boats. My feeling is that this boat is an early Yarwoods boat and would date from the mid nineteen twenties