Hyundai Suitcase Generator

Serendipity

Featured Posts

...of these?

Just wondering as I'm considering a Honda and these are comparable but half the price - with a two year warranty rather than five.

Ta

Probally in the same leaugue as Kipor. Almost as good but not quite.

Half the price half the warranty offered by Honda minus 1

Having said that Hondas will go on and on and on............and on. As long as you look after them.

Most people give good reviews of Kippor generators and they are very good value, although I have seen some negative reviews too.

I would guess Hyundai would probably be slightly better quality than Kippor - S. Korean rather than Chinese, or are they all made in China now?

Most people give good reviews of Kippor generators and they are very good value, although I have seen some negative reviews too.

I would guess Hyundai would probably be slightly better quality than Kippor - S. Korean rather than Chinese, or are they all made in China now?

I don't think you can really use the origin of manufacture as way of judging the quality of a product.

Like you have commented, a lot of stuff is made in China these days and is of very high quality. Apple ipad is a good example.

The only reason why such a lot of crap quality products come out of China is because of Western firms screwing them down on price.

Edited by bag 'o' bones

Yes, I have one. The 2.2kW model (HY2000SI 2.2kw Digital Inverter Generator). I have found it works fine. It is a bit bigger and heavier than the Honda. It runs quietly (probably not as silent as the Honda) , especially when on low setting. I use it to charge the batteries via the Mastervolt charger (40 amp) and the 1KW immersion heater. It runs in fast (normal) mode until the immersion heats up then it slows automatically when just charging the batteries. I have not had a Honda but at twice the price, couldn't afford it anyway but I am happy enough with the Hyundai. It starts easily as long as you prime the bulb and put on the choke and seems frugal on petrol. So you pays your money and takes your choice. I am happy.

Hope this helps

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

My boss just bought one of these, ran perfectly for around 8 hours on very little fuel, but it chucked all its oil on the floor over this time, checked it out and was leaking from air filter. Was not over filled guess there is to much crank case presure.

Mine did seem to leak oil for the first few hours. As I understand it, the generators are all filled with oil and run for a while before shipment. By this, I mean in the UK at the importers. The oil is then emptied out so they can be shipped to the end user. There is a special spout to empty the oil but I dont think they use this as it is sealed in the bag of bits. Therefore, when emptying the oil, some leaks down into the plastic case. This leaks out gradually for the first few hours. I found this out by ringing the dealer (GenpowerUK, the importer). It is fine now. Also, I had the no starting problem. This was caused by the spark plug cap (metal) coming loose. I pushed it on firmly and no problem since. To start this genny, you do need to carry out a procedure. Petrol tap on (of course), push the priming bulb around 20-30 times, choke full on the a good pull. This starts the genny on the first pull, in the main. I always leave it to run completely out of fuel and this procedure still works. If you start from hot, do the same thing but less choke.

I have now used the generator for about a month now and have found it works well. I use it to heat the water by immersion (240v, 1kw) and to charge the battery (Mastervolt 40a charger). Once the immersion cuts out after about 1.5 hours on a 15L hot tank, the genny slows down to the lowest speed when only charging the batteries. At this low speed, it is very quiet. I have often thought it had cut out, to be honest. I also use the Henry vacuum (on 600w setting - best vacuum for a NB, in my opinion) when the genny is on but this also works fine on the inverter anyway.

As said before, the Honda is probably better if you have 1K to spend. Dont knock Korean or Chinese stuff. Remember how people laughed at Japanese motorcycles in the 60's. Who has had the last laugh. Off subject, but Triumph make some cracking motorcycles these days. In my experience, Korean goods are second to none (Samsung, LG) and even Chinese goods are more than often excellent quality.

Anyway, I hope this helps a few people that might consider this genny.

Passed a Kipor sinewave suitcase genny yesterday on a smart boat that seemed as noisy as my lawnmower generators; I expected them to be quieter, certainly more compact.

• 1 year later...

I've just come across this thread and its answered all my questions.I have an 850W genny and I was hoping with everything crossed that it would charge our 4 110 amp batteries through the Mastervolt inverter charger but sadly it let me down haha .When I told Mrs Arwen a Honda genny was a grand she wasn't best pleased mad.gif.Now she quite happy for me to get the Hyundai .Looks good on the YouTube videos so all I need to do is find the cheapest supplier get it delivered and wrapped up for her Christmas stocking filler captain.gifcloud9.gif

...of these?

Just wondering as I'm considering a Honda and these are comparable but half the price - with a two year warranty rather than five.

Ta

My buddy Paul bought one last month to help his fit out. used it a very few times and it jacked in, it was always a pain in the aress. He thought stuff it and has been out and bought the immeasurably superior Honda 3 i jobby in as new condition from a forum member. He was just too tight at first to pay the honda price but now wishes he had. There is absolutely no comparison between Honda gennies and other offerings thats why they get their price, same with mastervolt inverters. :cheers:

Tim

I've just come across this thread and its answered all my questions.I have an 850W genny and I was hoping with everything crossed that it would charge our 4 110 amp batteries through the Mastervolt inverter charger but sadly it let me down haha .When I told Mrs Arwen a Honda genny was a grand she wasn't best pleased mad.gif.Now she quite happy for me to get the Hyundai .Looks good on the YouTube videos so all I need to do is find the cheapest supplier get it delivered and wrapped up for her Christmas stocking filler captain.gifcloud9.gif

Check out Just Generators. You'll be hard pushed to beat their prices unless you go second-hand.

http://www.justgenerators.co.uk/

Probably back door Kipors, i bet the only Hyundai part is the sticker, loads of brands come from the same factory in China anyhow. They would rather put someone elses name on the c**p.

In which case it might be cheaper to buy the Kipor!

I've noticed that the price of generators has increased significantly since I last looked a couple of years ago. I'm sure you used to be able to get the Honda EU20 from Just Generators for about 850 quid inc vat and I think the Kippor 2kw used to be less than 300 quid?

Edited by blackrose

We bought a Hyundai last year - the 3kva version. We use it to run the washing machine as its a PSW output and also battery, hair clippers, daughters GHD's when she visits etc. Starts well and is frugal on fuel. Very pleased with it.

I did consider the Honda, but price won out. I was told that with the Honda, you do get a 5 yr warranty,but you have to have it serviced at an authorised Honda dealer - not always easy on the canal. Hyundai don't mind you doing your own servicing and it does not affect thge 2 yr warranty.

Bought our Kipor 2kva in '06 for £380 which was a good price at the time, Honda EU 20i was over a grand even then. Tried the Kipor and Honda and couldn't detect any difference between them, same noise level and performance etc. In fact, apart from colour, they were identical.

They may look identical, but you can't see the inner workings of a generator from the outside. In terms of performance they will both be the same (while the Kipor is working), but I've listened to both and the Kipor was noisier and the specs back that up. The Kipor IG2000 is rated between 61-73 dB at 0-100% load at 7m, while the Honda EU20 is 55-59 dB at 25%-100% load at 7m. That's a bigger difference than it might seem because the dB scale is logarithmic, not linear, so 60 dB is ten times as loud as 50 dB for example.

Bought our Kipor 2kva in '06 for £380 which was a good price at the time, Honda EU 20i was over a grand even then. Tried the Kipor and Honda and couldn't detect any difference between them, same noise level and performance etc. In fact, apart from colour, they were identical.

They may look identical, but you can't see the inner workings of a generator from the outside. In terms of performance they will both be the same (while the Kipor is working), but I've listened to both and the Kipor was noisier and the specs back that up. The Kipor IG2000 is rated between 61-73 dB at 0-100% load at 7m, while the Honda EU20 is 55-59 dB at 25%-100% load at 7m. That's a bigger difference than it might seem because the dB scale is logarithmic, not linear, so 60 dB is ten times as loud as 50 dB for example.

Specs on our Kipor are identical word for word to Honda and standing between them at full chat I couldn't tell the difference. I sometimes wonder if it was a Honda in disguise.

ETA: Not all Kipors are identical though, the KGE model range was the subject of a Honda patent infringement with Honda seizing any of these models they came across.

Edited by nb Innisfree

Specs on our Kipor are identical word for word to Honda and standing between them at full chat I couldn't tell the difference. I sometimes wonder if it was a Honda in disguise.

Which Kipor 2kva do you have? I can't find any Kipor generator where the specs are the same as the Honda? :unsure:

According to the Kipor site, specs for their latest offering (the IG2000P), say it's 61-73 dB at 7m. Above that it says it's 60-65 dB, so they seem to be confused, but that's still not as quiet as the Honda EU20.

http://www.kiporuk.co.uk/digital-generator/ig2000p-kipor-digital-generator-389-54-75.php

ETA: Not all Kipors are identical though...

None of them are identical to a Honda. I'm sure Kipors are decent generators, but they're definitely inferior to Hondas. There have been enough problems with them reported on this forum to show that.

Edited by blackrose