HOW TO SELL A BOAT

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

:D

Just like to tell people out there that are considering selling their boat that its not all doom and gloom. I decided to sell my boat and sold it within three weeks to the first person that came along.

My advice is Firstly remember it is 2011 NOT 2007 and be realistic about your price, its pointless joining the many thousands of pie in the sky priced adverts and continualy dropping your price it looks naff to prospective purchasers.

Secondly and importantly if like me you wanted to reduce tyre kickers to a minimum go to Dom at Rugby Boats. he has done a sterling job his advertising is spot on as are his team, much better than a better known brokerage I once dealt with that sound like a list from an alphabet...........and know he has no idea I am posting this so Cheers Dom :D You can buy me a beer out of your commision ;)

My advice is Firstly remember it is 2011 NOT 2007 and be realistic about your price, its pointless joining the many thousands of pie in the sky priced adverts and continualy dropping your price it looks naff to prospective purchasers.

I think the above sums it up whether it is a boat a car or house if your price is in line with what the prospective buyers are able to afford then you won't have a problem selling.

I suppose it is a bit of an arse knowing that if you sold prior to the crunch you could have got a better price, but at the end of the day your next boat, car or house will have suffred a simailar drop so its all relative really.

I think the above sums it up whether it is a boat a car or house if your price is in line with what the prospective buyers are able to afford then you won't have a problem selling.

I suppose it is a bit of an arse knowing that if you sold prior to the crunch you could have got a better price, but at the end of the day your next boat, car or house will have suffred a simailar drop so its all relative really.

You are so right. I got my asking price which on a good day in 2007 would have been a better price BUT the boat I am now purchasing because I got a quick sale on mine and have the cash I got a 30 per cent reduction on the asking price so it was win win :D

Thanks for the kind comment, Tim.

Another point to make is that you bought a boat by a quality builder with reputation for durability. In tougher times it is those boats that still stand out from the crowd and will still attract buyers. The buyer of your boat will not regret his decision - certainly not for boat reasons.

Now I'm looking for an excuse to head up your way and buy you several of these cheap Northern pints. They're the ones with a big head of foam on, unlike Southern ones, which they simply serve properly.

Duck!!!!!!

Thanks for the kind comment, Tim.

Now I'm looking for an excuse to head up your way and buy you several of these cheap Northern pints. They're the ones with a big head of foam on, unlike Southern ones, which they simply serve properly.( In your dreams :cheers: :cheers: )

Duck!!!!!!

Cheers too, Mark. Can't do those clinking glass emoticon things my phone, or don't know how to, but I like a good laugh. Do they fit sparklers on to wine boxes up there as well. You wouldn't want a flat glass of red, would you. :)

Edited by Dominic M

Great love in - just ensure you are off the mooring when we get there Tim... ;)

Hi Martin

Yeah we are off !! My boat went today and Dominic has my money :o Blimey did somebody say he was going on holiday !!!

We kept your mooring warm but its all alone now for the moment, until you arrive and we go for Beeeeeeer....... :cheers:

Cheers too, Mark. Can't do those clinking glass emoticon things my phone, or don't know how to, but I like a good laugh. Do they fit sparklers on to wine boxes up there as well. You wouldn't want a flat glass of red, would you. :)

We do not have wine in BOXES!!!! How coarse and common !

We have proper beer, not flat, boring glasses of bilge water, Lol!

By the way what is Wine?

We do not have wine in BOXES!!!! How coarse and common !

They're more than adequate for those working below the stairs.

We have proper beer, not flat, boring glasses of bilge water, Lol!

Pump out or cassette? :)

By the way what is Wine?

It comes in red, white or pink, with a sexy accent.

A thought - Is it not a very strange co-incidence that 2 boats brokered by Dominic should end up swapping moorings in a marina on the Northern part of the system...one year on..

:D

Just like to tell people out there that are considering selling their boat that its not all doom and gloom. I decided to sell my boat and sold it within three weeks to the first person that came along.

Secondly and importantly if like me you wanted to reduce tyre kickers to a minimum go to Dom at Rugby Boats. he has done a sterling job his advertising is spot on as are his team, much better than a better known brokerage I once dealt with that sound like a list from an alphabet...........and know he has no idea I am posting this so Cheers Dom :D You can buy me a beer out of your commision ;)

What a timely and useful reminder of what year it is, it is a constant worry when the doctors come round and ask awkward questions like that or "who is the prime minister?"! 2007? personally I prefer 1977 there beer was cheap, the music good and I had a great time!

Congrats on selling the boat by the way.

A thought - Is it not a very strange co-incidence that 2 boats brokered by Dominic should end up swapping moorings in a marina on the Northern part of the system...one year on..

Strange? No. It's just that reality can be tricksey sometimes!

Edited by churchward

Absolutely agree about price.

At Aqueduct we often get people ask us for a valuation then say "I want 10K more than that". We sell most boats in less than a month but they must be priced realistically.

Oh yes - and clean and tidy!

Guest wanted

It always amazes me how many boats on the duck have 12 photo's of dirty washing up in the sink and laundry all over the place. It looks so bad.

It always amazes me how many boats on the duck have 12 photo's of dirty washing up in the sink and laundry all over the place. It looks so bad.

Three weeks ago I put my boat up for sale on Apollo and sold it within 48 hours for the asking price. In a tough market this wasn't luck. I thought about a broker but I gave it a shot on my own. I spent considerable time marketing the boat much like a house, considering the right price, took plenty of quality photos and plenty of relevant information in the write up. After 4 calls and one vieweing (the first) I'd taken a deposit.

I have to agree with your thoughts on Apollo, so many people take poor photos and haven't even tidied up! We're talking about thousands of pounds. Tens of thousands. Make sure your boat is spotless inside and out when viewing and complete all the niggly jobs, however small. A buyer needs confidence in you and your boat...

Never mind the going up there!

When are you coming down here?

Well done on the boat sale. What's it like being a land lubber :lol:

Hi Doooood :cheers:

We is comin down for beer in a month or so, as for being a land lubber I can honestly say ITS CRAP !!! The boat we are hoping to buy is in dry dock next monday and I will have a squint at it and pay if its ok so hopefully maybe only a week of living in a house, but that will honestly be a week too long...I dont think houses will ever catch on, it simply aint right :wacko:

Hi Doooood :cheers:

We is comin down for beer in a month or so, as for being a land lubber I can honestly say ITS CRAP !!! The boat we are hoping to buy is in dry dock next monday and I will have a squint at it and pay if its ok so hopefully maybe only a week of living in a house, but that will honestly be a week too long...I dont think houses will ever catch on, it simply aint right :wacko:

Way to go :cheers:

Planning to pull the pins tomorrow evening and head off up the Oxford. The boys in the pub are starting a sweep-stake on how far I get before I become a roundabout stuck in the middle of the cut :lol:

Even Dusty took a sharp intake of breath yesterday (but that could have been him choking on his baked beans at Annies ;) )

Way to go :cheers:

Planning to pull the pins tomorrow evening and head off up the Oxford. The boys in the pub are starting a sweep-stake on how far I get before I become a roundabout stuck in the middle of the cut :lol:

Even Dusty took a sharp intake of breath yesterday (but that could have been him choking on his baked beans at Annies ;) )

:o Baked Beans !!!!! How common.