"A Revolutionary System Of Narrow Boat Construction"

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Not sure if someone was having a laugh, but if they were they took a whole page advertisement to do it!

DSL_Boat_002.jpg

Almost incredible, and I can't really believe they sold any............... Unless someone knows otherwise!

How on earth the sections joined together, or were sealed, I can only imagine, but how you could add new sections with the boat afloat, I really can't start to conceive!

Not to mention little issues like gas pipes, water pipes, electrical wiring, etc!

If the stern section was only 8 feet, I doubt the swim could have been 6 feet. Must surely have handled like a cow on roller skates!

Not sure if someone was having a laugh, but if they were they took a whole page advertisement to do it!

DSL_Boat_002.jpg

Almost incredible, and I can't really believe they sold any............... Unless someone knows otherwise!

How on earth the sections joined together, or were sealed, I can only imagine, but how you could add new sections with the boat afloat, I really can't start to conceive!

Not to mention little issues like gas pipes, water pipes, electrical wiring, etc!

If the stern section was only 8 feet, I doubt the swim could have been 6 feet. Must surely have handled like a cow on roller skates!

If I recall correctly (and I would only have been seven) it was also advertised as being trailable, because you could trail each bit separately!

Didn't Paul Daniels have something to do with this?

The Nestaway 9ft_nesting_stem_dinghy_nested_on_BMW_web.JPG

Aah! Monsieur Hulot's Canoe!

I love the "Write now for details". it reminds you of how much communications have changed from that seems like no time ago. No "see web site for details" in those days!

Yes, and telephone numbers like Whitehall 1212, and "Blisworth double three". One of mine - Cholesbury 596.

If it could be extended still in the water then it would have needed to have water tight bulkheads that would have been at least 2' high. Would make moving about the boat interesting.

Could also make for interesting licensing... :wacko:

DSL_Boat_002.jpg

Actually not difficult to achieve, but impractical for several reasons. A bulkhead that is just higher than the waterline makes this possible. It would of course require a flange and gasket of some sort.

Oddly my workmate came up with a similar idea in the pub for a GRP boat back in the '70's, suggesting that it could be "built in three halves!"

As per Carl's post, it has been done with small boats for decades. IIRC there used to be a pontoon boat on the upper reaches of the Lancaster canal that could be unbolted to form two boats.

DSL_Boat_002.jpg

Actually not difficult to achieve, but impractical for several reasons. A bulkhead that is just higher than the waterline makes this possible. It would of course require a flange and gasket of some sort.

Oddly my workmate came up with a similar idea in the pub for a GRP boat back in the '70's, suggesting that it could be "built in three halves!"

As per Carl's post, it has been done with small boats for decades. IIRC there used to be a pontoon boat on the upper reaches of the Lancaster canal that could be unbolted to form two boats.

DSL_Boat_002.jpg

In 1972 there was one of these moored about 50 metres below Fradley bottom lock bow/centre/stern. the joints were clearly showing, never stopped to find out how it worked,but it was afloat there for about 9 months, although on our last trip back to Mk Drayton it was no longer there

If it could be extended still in the water then it would have needed to have water tight bulkheads that would have been at least 2' high. Would make moving about the boat interesting.

Could also make for interesting licensing... :wacko:

Yes,

But think of the advantages when you turn up late in the day at a popular place with your 48 foot boat, and there are only two mooring left avialble (each of under 30 feet)....

Simply split boat in middle, and moor it as two bits!

Or if only one space, split it, and breast up with yourself......

Yes,

But think of the advantages when you turn up late in the day at a popular place with your 48 foot boat, and there are only two mooring left avialble (each of under 30 feet)....

Simply split boat in middle, and moor it as two bits!

Or if only one space, split it, and breast up with yourself......

Perhaps you would need a separate BW licence for each piece.