Petter PJ3W

NBMike

Featured Posts

• 3 months later...

New to forum - but glad to see someone has a Petter PJ. Mine is a two cylinder (PJ2W).

Only had it for 2 years - hoping to do a decoke,fit reconn injectors and service the water pump in the New Year now I've sourced/got some spares.

What sort of oil pressure does yours run at cruising speed eg 1200/1300rpm

Ken (Cygnet)

New to forum - but glad to see someone has a Petter PJ. Mine is a two cylinder (PJ2W).

Only had it for 2 years - hoping to do a decoke,fit reconn injectors and service the water pump in the New Year now I've sourced/got some spares.

What sort of oil pressure does yours run at cruising speed eg 1200/1300rpm

Ken (Cygnet)

Hi Ken

Mine is an industrial engine that I marinised. It runs at about 65PSI.

Mike

Mine starts at about 65/70 but after an hours running drops to about 25psi. Will be looking at bearings and oil pump I suspect, whilst I am doing dekoke. Might just try fitting a direct reading oil gauge first - in case electrical sender is affected by warm engine.

It was supposed to have been reconditioned in 2008 - I have a vague invoice for that time so I would have expected better pressure.

Any tips will be most welcome including good place to get spares/advice. Ken.

Hi Robin

(sorry if you get this reply twice) Thanks for the info Jim looks like a good source. My manual says 40psi but I'm not sure at what revs, as the engine was designed to drive a generator at constant speed - as the speed varies so does the oil pressure - so waht pressure at 1200rpm? Surely it can't be 40psi at tickover. (Or perhaps I'm trying to talk myself out of a full strip down!!) Perhaps a question for Jim?

As my wife has reminded me, its decorating at home this winter - so it looks like a job for the new year!!

Ta again, Ken

My PH2 is a close relative of your PJ2 mine ticks over all day if neccisary at about 30 psi has done for years with no ill effect.Jim will give you good advice,he has written a great book of his experiences as a Petter Service engineer,he has a web site... www.petterengines.co.uk

If it aint broke dont fix it.

Robin

My PH2 is a close relative of your PJ2 mine ticks over all day if neccisary at about 30 psi has done for years with no ill effect.Jim will give you good advice,he has written a great book of his experiences as a Petter Service engineer,he has a web site... www.petterengines.co.uk

If it aint broke dont fix it.

Robin

Ta Robin, this is a great help - perhaps I will leave it a another year - its not got any oil leaks of note, doesn't use any oil and it runs well - if a little smokey for ths first 1/2 hour. Maybe just the dekoke and check the valves.

Ken.

I have always used the manufacturers recommended grades,if you put a heavier grade in cold weather you can compromise the manual start capability that is a useful feature of these old engines.

In my case I use a CC spec 30 monograde, HDX 30, supplied by by Agritec-online.com.This for older normally aspirated engines,used in agriculture and construction purposes.Too high a spec may lead to bore glazing if a sustained time on tickover or low power is the mode of use.

Robin

I use Morris Sae 40 in summer and Sae 30 in Winter - it gets quite warm in the engine room - so hence Sae 40 in summer (I think Morris quote tropical ie +35degs).

If SAE 40 is used in winter it creates quite a drag on starting. I am concerned in cold weather that the small bore pipes up to the top of the engine may starve the valves etc.. of lubricant.

I use Morris Sae 40 in summer and Sae 30 in Winter - it gets quite warm in the engine room - so hence Sae 40 in summer (I think Morris quote tropical ie +35degs).

If SAE 40 is used in winter it creates quite a drag on starting. I am concerned in cold weather that the small bore pipes up to the top of the engine may starve the valves etc.. of lubricant.

Ok, yours is the boat I was asking about.

You're already doing what I was thinking about i.e. using thicker oil in the summer to compensate for the thinning of the oil thanks to the temperature.

So, another solution required!

• 4 years later...

Have reopened this topic to get some advise if out there,

Have contacted Jim Perkins and unfortunatle he has now retired, is there any other persons out there who might have any information or know's where there is a source of spares and servicing parts for my Pitter PJW 3 ?

• 2 months later...

rocking horse droppings springs to mind

Y'think? I have been stocktaking Petter parts all evening. I'm not guaranteeing there are any PJW parts, I wouldn't be surprised though

Who buys valve seat inserts?

Richard

Has Jim given up supplying spares ?

His website is still going.http://www.petterengines.co.uk/index.html

I have a PJW3 in Tadworth, its never let me down.

No sorry worded post wrong, he still has various parts it's that he has stopped doing work on 3cyl engines. i'm sure if you get in touch with him he will help you out if he can.

rocking horse droppings springs to mind

Y'think? I have been stocktaking Petter parts all evening. I'm not guaranteeing there are any PJW parts, I wouldn't be surprised though

Who buys valve seat inserts?

Richard

Ah company that is to do engine work on my PJW3 has sourced a lot of parts for internals, valve seat inserts included, was surprized at quantity of parts out there, am having rebuild so needed to find what could be sourced before they started to see if parts were out there if required. Am removing engine shortly then taking to engineer's for rebuild, engine running ok at present have had boat 10yr just want engine right for future cruising as part of long term upgrading of boat. So if ok might contact you if there is something needed thanks.

• 7 years later...

I'm presuming the Narrowboat referenced by user @nb cygnet is the same boat we now own, which was based at Church Minshull.

We need help with the engine as it is overheating, and looking back through this post there are references to websites that don't appear to exit anymore. Does anyone know of where we could find help?

Cygnet NB: Petter PJ2W Two cylinder engine