Hebden Bridge

jez1954

Featured Posts

I always thought (from discussions on other forums) that Hebden Bridge was the home of the Northern lesbian, I've never visited, so cannot comment on the state of any boats, but i've always liked a bit of diversity (not the dance troupe).

Actually, most of them seem to be from the south, judging by accents. Not that I've got anything against lesbians, or even southeners.

:smiley_offtopic: Well, I have never understood it. And no one has ever been able to explain to me why. But some (far from all) lesbians can be VERY hostile towards gay men. So much, that I have been physicly threatened just for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Very territorial! I'd rather pick a fight with a gay male, where the worst that could happen is a limp wristed bitch slap. Than a militant lesbian threatening to gutt me with a broken wine bottle. Most are delightfull, or just get on with their own thing. But some are just scary. As a gay male, you sertainly do not feel welcome if wondering into their turf, so to say.

Sorry, felt I had to address that one. Back to Hebden Bridge now......

I was chatting to the bouncer at a gay club many years ago now, he was probably the only straight guy there. I asked him if he liked working at a gay night club, he said yes, it was easy work, the only real trouble were the lesbians as they were more difficult to handle than the guys. Sorry super off topic I know.

I have this condition that has so far defied medical science - if I pass a pub I have to stop, go in and drink beer. It doesn't seem to affect the wife - she had a cup of tea......and she determines how far we walk before turning back! :P

Jez

Yep. Got the same condition.

Apparently Hebden has got the most lesbian pro rata than anywhere else in the country. I believe the Clerk to the Council phoned up the Guinness Book of Records to see if it was a record. They said they weren't sure but it would take some licking.

Apparently Hebden has got the most lesbian pro rata than anywhere else in the country. I believe the Clerk to the Council phoned up the Guinness Book of Records to see if it was a record. They said they weren't sure but it would take some licking.

The old ones are the best - jokes, I mean.

Police harassment is also a serious problem, one girl told me she'd been fingered by the fuzz on several occasions.

Coat.

Oh how perfectly ridiculous!

Did nasty middle class eco hippys stamp on your toys when you were small?

some drove past our house in an old commer van throwing stones at our fence in 1982, ive had a fear of hippies ever since ! lol

I'm friends with many of the boaters around Hebden and have felt really quite wounded on their behalf reading this thread.

First of all, the Calderdale Boaters control the moorings on three stretches - by the Stubbings Wharf, at Callis and at Eastwood. I don't know the details but basically they bulk pay for moorings to British Waterways. All boats in the club have to be licensed. So they are paying to have their boats on the canal, and I'm not aware of a scruffiness clause in the licensing.

It's a nice supportive community of people generally (dismissed as an 'eyesore' here...). But they're not the type of people to prioritise having a shiny boat complete with castles and flowers - the boats are 1) home and 2) functional in the main. Some of those boaters are also on pretty low incomes. Having said that there are some gorgeous boats down there too - my favourite being one that's all 70s painted. It's fair to say that the people there will likely have bought their boats for completely different reasons to Jez1954 (thread-starter) who is semi-retired - it's more about the lifestyle, including living more sustainably/cheaply, rather than as a hobby.

Similarly Callis gardens - I've watched it grow from sad twigs in the wasteland to the productive garden it is now over the last ten years, and although I know little about food growing I think they've generally done a good job. It's not meant to be the Chelsea Flower Show, it's a community garden. It seems some people would love everything to be perfectly shiny and neat and conform - but many of us don't fit well with that. Hebden Bridge, for all its numerous faults, is one of those few towns that are a bit outside the mainstream and I'm thankful for that.

Edited by laughingboy
  • Greenie 3