Honda EU20i troubles

Sven...

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I have a Honda EU20i generator, less than a year old, which basically works fine. However, starting it can be a problem. Some times it stops after a few seconds, oil lamp lighting up.

In these cases I will need to restart it around 5 times before it is happy to continue running.

Once the unit has run more than a few seconds, it becomes super reliable and never stops as long as there is fuel.

The oil level is just about right, as far as I can see. I have heard it needs to be neither too high nor too low.

My Honda has been like this since new. I never bothered to bring the issue up with the manufacturer, as it is not really a problem... while I imagine packing and sending the unit for service would be a nightmare (is that what they'd suggest anyway?)

Of course the above is a bit annoying though. Maybe you guys can think of some obvious solution that has escaped me..?

Sven

Hi all,

I have a Honda EU20i generator, less than a year old, which basically works fine. However, starting it can be a problem. Some times it stops after a few seconds, oil lamp lighting up.

In these cases I will need to restart it around 5 times before it is happy to continue running.

Once the unit has run more than a few seconds, it becomes super reliable and never stops as long as there is fuel.

The oil level is just about right, as far as I can see. I have heard it needs to be neither too high nor too low.

My Honda has been like this since new. I never bothered to bring the issue up with the manufacturer, as it is not really a problem... while I imagine packing and sending the unit for service would be a nightmare (is that what they'd suggest anyway?)

Of course the above is a bit annoying though. Maybe you guys can think of some obvious solution that has escaped me..?

Sven

Make sure oil level is correct and also make sure the genny is sat flat on the ground.

At leass than a year old send it back to get it checked out. If fact it's a Honda! At less than 5 years old send it back and get it checked out.

If you're confident that the oil level is correct and the oil light comes on (which will cut out the motor), it may have a duff level sensor.

To eliminate the oil sensor why not bypass, it temporarily of course? They can be troublesome from new.

First checking oil level.

As soon as you touch it, you'll render the warranty as null and void. Don't do it!

You're paying for a 5 year warranty. Talk to Honda or take it to a local agent and get them to sort it.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to everybody who answered this. You inspired me to investigate further and I managed to completely solve the problem.

For anyone who is reading this and having the same problem: You need to dig out that manual and read up on EXACTLY what is the correct way to measure the oil level.

Sven

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all,

Sven

This will be relevant to your problem. Type of oil that you use, if you have the wrong grade of oil you will have problems, if the oil is too thick there is a tendency for the cold oil to stick around the inside of the engine thus lowering the oil level momentarily also the oil foams up. I am sure that you will find that as soon as the engine is warm the problem goes away.

As for this five year warranty stuff....did you know that the warranty for the 5 years only stands good if you have your generator serviced at the required intervals and you have invoicing to prove it?

Hi all,

Sven

Take it to a Honda agent, and demand they look at it.

Mine (the smaller EU10i) stopped working completely. The control unit had blown, and the agent demand £500 for a new one. However, I flourished my 4 month old invoice, and it was repaired FOC.

These things are very expensive (compared to other makes), and expensive to repair. So get it looked at while you can.

I think you must have missed post #7

Thanks to everybody who answered this. You inspired me to investigate further and I managed to completely solve the problem.

Tony

Tony

Indeed.

But often in a thread of this sort, it is useful to others who have a similar problem which remains unresolved. And repeating good advice adds to the impact.

Have a great day!

Edited by sebrof

For anyone who is reading this and having the same problem: You need to dig out that manual and read up on EXACTLY what is the correct way to measure the oil level.

Sven

Sven, would that not be true of any piece of machinery? LOL Well done for sorting it out!

Tony

It will no invalidate the warranty!!!

Disconnecting the oil level sensor is a bit tricky on the EU20i, you can do it on the EU10i with relative ease.

This is a oil issue, the oil goes a bit thick once cold, if you use the correct grade of oil all will be well, failing that keep the generator somewhere warm then it will start and continue to run.

Recomended oil for the EU20i is SAE 10W - 30 or SAE 30, service classification SE, SF or SG

Mine (the smaller EU10i) stopped working completely. The control unit had blown, and the agent demand £500 for a new one. However, I flourished my 4 month old invoice, and it was repaired FOC.

These things are very expensive (compared to other makes), and expensive to repair. So get it looked at while you can.

How can they charge £500 for an ignition control unit??? the unit in question is roughly £70, fitting takes less than 15 minutes! are you boaters being ripped off?

How can they charge £500 for an ignition control unit??? the unit in question is roughly £70, fitting takes less than 15 minutes! are you boaters being ripped off?

It was the electronic bit, not ignition. The engine ran, but nothing came down the wires.

I would agree that the price was outrageous, for something that cost £700 all up. The firm concerned weren't in the marine trade, they mainly serviced mowers.

???

Checking the oil level correctly will invalidate the warranty?

Methinks thou art confused, sir.

Tony

I suspect, Tony, that Mr Honda was replying to the post suggesting that the oil level sensor be bypassed. He is new here, and therefore not expert in the mechanics of this forum.

A reading of his next sentence should convince you.

Edited by sebrof

It was the electronic bit, not ignition. The engine ran, but nothing came down the wires.

I would agree that the price was outrageous, for something that cost £700 all up. The firm concerned weren't in the marine trade, they mainly serviced mowers.

So they were quoting for the inverter pack? even so it is too steep a price to pay for one. Mower shops are to be avoided when it comes to electrics, most are good with the engine side but the electronics side is a grey area.

So they were quoting for the inverter pack? even so it is too steep a price to pay for one. Mower shops are to be avoided when it comes to electrics, most are good with the engine side but the electronics side is a grey area.

They are an authorised Honda dealer, and dealt with the problem under warranty although they had not sold me the machine.

I suspect they just have a policy of charging what they think they can get away with. Rather like Mercedes.

I suspect, Tony, that Mr Honda was replying to the post suggesting that the oil level sensor be bypassed. He is new here, and therefore not expert in the mechanics of this forum.

A reading of his next sentence should convince you.

Exactly right :) I will learn.

Just so you all know who I am and what I do, I am a Honda generator technician with 23 years experience, some of you might know me as Pheonix Power from Nottingham which I sold in 2000.

Not on here to make money ....just give advice.

Don't buy a Kipor or Hyundai and don't play leap frog with a unicorn! :-O

Hi all,

My EU10i will only run with the correct amount of oil in it is it slopes ever so slightly toward the end with the socket on it. Or sometime I'll put a bit of extra oil in and that cures the problem.

Sven

CLue?

Edited by Chris Pink

My EU10i will only run with the correct amount of oil in it is it slopes ever so slightly toward the end with the socket on it. Or sometime I'll put a bit of extra oil in and that cures the problem.

CLue?

There is quite a large margin between low and high oil, the oil level works on a float which has a magnet in it, when the oil level falls below an unacceptable level the float magnet pulls the reed switch together to ground the ignition. My experience tells me that the incorrect grade of oil is normally the culprit also low oil level. As for checking the oil level rule of thumb would be that the oil is almost coming out of the oil filler hole when on a flat surface.....the mistake a lot of people make is to screw the dip stick in which is incorrect. There is a diagram on the case of the generator showing how to check the oil level.....just place the dip stick in the hole and do not screw in.

There is quite a large margin between low and high oil, the oil level works on a float which has a magnet in it, when the oil level falls below an unacceptable level the float magnet pulls the reed switch together to ground the ignition. My experience tells me that the incorrect grade of oil is normally the culprit also low oil level. As for checking the oil level rule of thumb would be that the oil is almost coming out of the oil filler hole when on a flat surface.....the mistake a lot of people make is to screw the dip stick in which is incorrect. There is a diagram on the case of the generator showing how to check the oil level.....just place the dip stick in the hole and do not screw in.

Thank you for clarifying that.